Burn a flag :) (1 Viewer)

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
ISA staffers will be carrying water pistols at USYD O-week, in case of flaming funtimes.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
elissa said:
How can burning a national flag be a freedom of speech? Actually how can it? Because you have the right to? Would you go burn the coat of arms? Is that freedom of speech? I really would like to know how people like you can think that burning a flag can be freedom of speech. Have your parents brought you up to hate the government, hate what this country gives you?

I do not attempt to forget what occurred in the past, I just recognise that it IS in the past, and at some point we have to move on and better ourselves and our society. Why are you criticising the Anzacs? I don't think we glorify them in such, we may look up to them because they had the bravery to actually fight for what they believed in, and they protected this nation? They fought for this country and the fought for the freedoms you so easily take for granted.

I have no idea who Mary Maclease is, and I wasn't "spitting out" her speech. I was simply trying to state my point. If you were referring to the Irish President her name is McAleese, not Maclease.

It is a sad indication of where today's society is headed when Australia has youths like you who don't truly understand and respect Australia and it's people.
sorry to dissapoint you, but the ANZACS didnt fight for our country (the war was nowhere near us) they fought for the British. Just like all the other colonies.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
HotShot said:
sorry to dissapoint you, but the ANZACS didnt fight for our country (the war was nowhere near us) they fought for the British. Just like all the other colonies.
So the Australians in PNG that fought under our flag didn't fight for our country?

HotShot

-_-
HSC
withoutaface said:
So the Australians in PNG that fought under our flag didn't fight for our country?
yes there was enormous threat to our country....such that we invaded PNG..

We were fighting for the British. - i Mean its all bravery and stuff, but it wasnt for our country. We were protecting the poms.

In 1885, Germany formally annexed the northern coast and Britain took similar action in the south. In 1906, Britain transferred its rights to British New Guinea to a newly independent Australia, and the name of the territory was changed to the Territory of Papua. Australian troops invaded German New Guinea (called Kaiser-Wilhelmsland) in World War I and gained control of the territory under a League of Nations mandate.

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
So in effect you're saying that, were PNG to be taken over by the Japs, you're 100% sure Australia would have been safe?

Don't be stupid.

davin

HSC
N/A
oh, as a side note, SOME people - and i only say SOME people - classify flag burning as arson, and could probably take you to court on the case of public nuisance.
so burn your own flag. so long as its your property and you don't endanger anyone else, whats the big deal?

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
davin said:
so burn your own flag. so long as its your property and you don't endanger anyone else, whats the big deal?
i agree wholeheartedly. the sentence you quoted was for when u are in a public place. sorry, i should be more specific.

funnybunny

funniest bunny in th land
HSC
if they like burning flags so much, maybe we can send the flag burners to Saudi Arabia or Iran and get them to burn those country's flags over there, and then we'll see if they like burning flags so much.
idiot, we're not saying that everyone should LIKE burning flags...

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
That's not the point. Australians fought for the nation, and her symbol. That symbol may have changed, but not the ideals behind it.

leetom

there's too many of them!
HSC
Phanatical said:
That's not the point. Australians fought for the nation, and her symbol. That symbol may have changed, but not the ideals behind it.
I agree. You cannot dismiss our military actions as having had no part in the formation of current values and ideals.

As for fighting for the Britsh, we did that in North Africa. What took place in South-East Asia was entirely for the defence of Australia.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
withoutaface said:
So in effect you're saying that, were PNG to be taken over by the Japs, you're 100% sure Australia would have been safe?

Don't be stupid.

i am talking about WWI, as for WW2 japan - i srs doubt would have taken over AUstralia, even if they did, they gettin raped by america.

davin

HSC
N/A
HotShot said:
i am talking about WWI, as for WW2 japan - i srs doubt would have taken over AUstralia, even if they did, they gettin raped by america.
yeah, but then again, by your logic, the u.s. should've been only fighting for its interests...which would've meant not trying to stop the japanese as they headed south toward australia. they WERE aiming for australia

funnybunny

funniest bunny in th land
HSC
How can burning a national flag be a freedom of speech? Actually how can it? Because you have the right to? Would you go burn the coat of arms? Is that freedom of speech? I really would like to know how people like you can think that burning a flag can be freedom of speech.
Yep, it is a freedom of speech.:)

Would you go burn the coat of arms?
Freedom of speech:)

Have your parents brought you up to hate the government
Many people hate the government.

Why are you criticising the Anzacs?
No I'm not. Read my post properly before posting. :p

I don't think we glorify them in such,
Marches, effigies, etc. We do glorify them although i'm not agianst it.

If you were referring to the Irish President her name is McAleese, not Maclease.
Yep her, i dont edit my posts. :)

Your whole post assumes that by burning the flag, i am demonstrating that i dislike Australia's values. No. Burning the flag is an act of freedom of speech, so this assumption you made, results in your post been wrong.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Damage Inc. said:
There is nothing wrong with burning a flag. Seriously.

It represents nothing. Do you all understand that?
the flag represents nothing to you, but it obviously means something to some people, otherwise they'd be selling "random piece of cloth-burning kits".

you have the right to burn a flag. woofuckinghoo. who cares. you also have the right to burn toast. OMG TOAST BURNING KIT!!!

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Understand what? You imply that if we don't agree with you that we do not understand the situation.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I just can't come to terms with the idea that one can burn the Australian flag, but still respect the values of the nation it represents. How can a person justify lighting an Australian flag on fire? And more importantly how can Resistance expect to sell flag-burning kits and preserve the meaning of their protest movement? The Update is exploring both the for and against arguments on flag burning kits, but I cannot for the life of me find anybody who can truly write a comprehensive "for" point.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
ok so burning a flag is freedom of speech.

so what are all the flag-burners trying to say?

"LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!!"...?

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
This is an excerpt from the O-week edition of The Update:

Point | Counterpoint
The Issue: Flag Burning

At O-week festivities, the activist group Resistance is selling a $5 “Flag burning kit” containing an Australian flag, a lighter, and a flyer with information on Resistance activities. In this edition, we briefly explore the arguments for and against these flag burning kits.

FOR
To burn the flag is a symbolic gesture against the perceived wrongs committed by our nation, or at least by those who represent our nation. Flag burning is not an attack on the values of this nation, but rather an attack on the actions of our government, and what the flag has come to symbolise throughout the world. Like the flag itself, flag burning is a symbolic gesture to demonstrate a hatred of what the flag stands for, and whether or not we personally like flag burning, we must respect the right for others to do so.

AGAINST
Burning the Australian flag is a despicable act that denigrates the people who take pride in it and what it symbolises - freedom, hope and liberty. To burn the flag merely to demonstrate so-called 'freedom of speech' is merely a display of contempt for the people of this great nation. To burn a flag is to insult the war veterans who fought for this country, the migrants who come seeking a better life and ordinary Australians who are proud of living in this wonderful democracy. Those who do are petty-minded individuals who don't realise that the best way to protest against the perceived injustices of any government is at the ballot box.

Andrew Q. / Beccy M.

Riewe

HSC
Phanatical said:
FOR
To burn the flag is a symbolic gesture against the perceived wrongs committed by our nation, or at least by those who represent our nation. Flag burning is not an attack on the values of this nation, but rather an attack on the actions of our government, and what the flag has come to symbolise throughout the world. Like the flag itself, flag burning is a symbolic gesture to demonstrate a hatred of what the flag stands for, and whether or not we personally like flag burning, we must respect the right for others to do so.
But using the same logic, can vandalise any property because i don't agree with the way the owner of that property is conducting themselves. For example, someone may burn down a brothel because they don't agree with what's going on in there, but they will be charged with arson, even though they are excercising their freedom of speech against immorality. Same here, so why shouldn't flag burning be an offence?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)