Burn a flag :) (1 Viewer)

Generator

HSC
N/A
Riewe said:
But using the same logic, can vandalise any property because i don't agree with the way the owner of that property is conducting themselves. For example, someone may burn down a brothel because they don't agree with what's going on in there, but they will be charged with arson, even though they are excercising their freedom of speech against immorality. Same here, so why shouldn't flag burning be an offence?
One key difference is that people are burning their own flag, or a flag that they have obtained legally. If they happen to steal a flag, then that will be considered a criminal act.

davin

HSC
N/A
yeah......i mean, really, its not like they're pulling down flagpoles

my question....with all the flag burnings in the middle east? where do they get them? i mean honestly, who has that many danish flags on hand for burning and stuff like that?

davin

HSC
N/A
see, i'm even impressed by that. i mean, its denmark. thats a fairly obscure flag.

funnybunny

funniest bunny in th land
HSC
Same here, so why shouldn't flag burning be an offence?.
Have you just come into the thread and just posted for the sake of it without reading at least a few posts?...idiot!

so what are all the flag-burners trying to say?
read above

what about incitement of violence?
it only incites violence in idiots who think the australian flag represents something....it's just a piece of cotton/nylon with some pretty colours on it.

What is the difference between the australian flag and a pile of shit?...nothing..one's just harder to burn

aussiebogan

HSC
N/A
Hello Damage INc, Funnybunny Everyone,
This is my first post on Boredofstudies.org. In my opinion burning the flag is an insult to Australian values of courage, bravery, etc. It is an insult to the Australian people and the livestyle. Everyone i hope that you will agree with me, as i am a true aussie and this i believe really does not show how much it means to be a true blue Aussie.

Martyno1

oh hi
HSC
An uneducated response: (I didn't read the whole thread)

I'd burn the top left hand corner of the flag. That's all.

aussiebogan

HSC
N/A
Hello Martyo!
I also believe that in unedutated posts, people should not read the whole post. STill not convinced not to burn the flag? Well you should really go outside, and look truly in your heart. Would you burn your heart? Well my heart is Australia, and i will never burn it.

davin

HSC
N/A
aussiebogan said:
Hello Martyo!
I also believe that in unedutated posts, people should not read the whole post. STill not convinced not to burn the flag? Well you should really go outside, and look truly in your heart. Would you burn your heart? Well my heart is Australia, and i will never burn it.
and, in your heart, do you consider freedom of speech and expression an important value?

lourai*87

~"*_*"~
HSC
Mountain.Dew said:
ah what can you do...*shake his head* what can u do? what message does flag burning actually give? OH wow look! freedom of speech! yes, yes, public onlookers can see that, but is it necessarily to have to go around burning flags to demonstrate your PRIVELIGED right to freedom of speech? if you really do hate the government, speak or write to your local MP about it, or submit an article for the 'opinions' column in major newspapers.

oh, as a side note, SOME people - and i only say SOME people - classify flag burning as arson, and could probably take you to court on the case of public nuisance.

now, the final message: if you really want to burn a flag, do it in ur own private place. YOUR FREEDOM OF SPEECH IS STILL UPHELD AND EXERCISED.
Were you arguing with what i said? Why? I was criticising them silly. Unless of course you are FOR it, which isnt what i picked up on.

Riewe

HSC
i find it funny people hide behind burning the flag by using 'freedom of speech'. But i have never seen a burning flag speak. Nor i will ever (i think). Speech is something audible and distinguishable. Burning a flag is neither (unless you count the sound of fire being speech). So the excuse of 'freedom of speech' is nonsense.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Riewe said:
i find it funny people hide behind burning the flag by using 'freedom of speech'. But i have never seen a burning flag speak. Nor i will ever (i think). Speech is something audible and distinguishable. Burning a flag is neither (unless you count the sound of fire being speech). So the excuse of 'freedom of speech' is nonsense.
Poor analysis.

aussiebogan

HSC
N/A
I don't believe a flag can speak, but it has values that we as true bloke aussies aspire to. These values are like skyscrapers and when we reach them we too will look far and great.:)

funnybunny

funniest bunny in th land
HSC
my bad....it's not freedom of speech as such...it's freedom of expression....the flag has the rite to express itself being burnt,

aussiebogan

HSC
N/A
my bad....it's not freedom of speech as such...it's freedom of expression....the flag has the rite to express itself being burnt,
Don't be so hard on yourself mate, everyone makes mistakes. Don't worry. The two terms are so loosely defined that they can be easily mistaken for the same thing.

Sorry, but I don't seem to understand why you would attribute the aussie flag an humanistic quality? However, I do believe that the flag has a spiritual aspect to it that includes the beliefs and faiths of all Aussies, and represents it in wonderful colours of blue, red and white.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)