CA achiever program (2 Viewers)

AppleXY

s00 l33t xD
HSC
Uni Grad
hey, olechel.. do you need any past work experience (before u apply to ca achiever)? like im in hsc (vce) and a "full-time" studier coz i want to a get a great mark n enter into melb uni and I also think working young is bad (for reasons) :p

soo yea.. :)

turtleface

HSC
yeah CA Achiever is really good, its for 1st years (though 2nds years and 3rd years have been known to get in quite often)

you should apply next year

Don't worry its during holidays and not very overwhelming.

seremify007 said:
Yep congrats to everyone who made it to interview!

On a sidenote... don't say that quote in the IB vs. Accounting thread :) Probably get quoted, misquoted and then abused.
lol

btw olechel congratulations

AppleXY

s00 l33t xD
HSC
Uni Grad
yea, thx for the feedback :D ... but do u need any previous work-exp? (coz I don't as i stated above)

turtleface

HSC
don't think so. a part time job would be nice probably. I'll send you an application form or post one here if i can find one, but unfortunately i being forced off the comp now :( so maybe tomorrow sorry

actually if someone has a 2006 link it may be better cause its copyright i think and i only have 05

i'll pm otherwise so i dont get in trouble

Last edited:

olechel

HSC
Apple XY:

nah you dont need any prior work experiance...when i applied i was in like start of 2nd semester and like urself i didnt work thru my hsc cuz i thought it would impact on my marks...so only had my 1st semester results..thats why they place such a big emphasis on extra-curicular activities...like sports, and clubs/societies ur involved in etc....

one big tip i can give u and every1 else is that spend some time going thru the questions in the application form...that is basically all they look for.... when i got accepted they took us out to a dinner/drinks thing out in the city and had a chat to one of the interviewers...she said that the questionairre is basically all they look at in deciding who gets in

once u make it to the interview stage uve got very good chances in getting a spot in the CA Achiever program (think they interviewed 80or90 ppl when i did it and accepted 35or so).

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Someone told me there were thousands of people, a few hundred got interviewed, and they started offering spots already! Congrats to those who get in! It sounds good.

AppleXY

s00 l33t xD
HSC
Uni Grad
wow, thx everyone espsh turtleface and ochel, yea I get wotcha mean yea rite now im not in any of the society/clubs and shit but i will be in one in uni if its advantageous for me to apply and those sport clubs thingys at unis.. sikk :)

synthesized

HSC
N/A
turtleface said:
yeah CA Achiever is really good, its for 1st years (though 2nds years and 3rd years have been known to get in quite often)
do you mean these people were 2nd/3rd years in commerce but they were 1st years in another degree? or were they 2nd years in a single commerce degree?

can 2nd years still apply for CA achiever without doing a double degree, or do i need to be in the 1st year of another business degree to apply?

turtleface

HSC
um the people I know who got in, in subsequent years were double (undergraduate) degree students, often the reasoning being they did their first accounting subject in their 2nd year

i think its hard to sneak past as a 2nd year single degree student

synthesized

HSC
N/A
turtleface said:
um the people I know who got in, in subsequent years were double (undergraduate) degree students, often the reasoning being they did their first accounting subject in their 2nd year

i think its hard to sneak past as a 2nd year single degree student
so you think, if next year i am in 2nd year b.com but 1st year of b.fin i should be able to apply?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
synthesized said:
so you think, if next year i am in 2nd year b.com but 1st year of b.fin i should be able to apply?
I was under the impression people who are in your position would tend to apply for Vacation Work directly with the firm itself.

olechel

HSC
synthesized:

if i were u id probably try to get Vac work with some of these firms...there are many firms out there and all take applications for vac work around the same time...so u shuld check out those dates and dont leave it too late cuz some of those applications are lonnnnng and tedious lol

and theree is a high percentage of ppl who gain vac work actually being offered a position to work there.

so definately look into that :)

theone123

blue essence
HSC
seremify007 said:
Someone told me there were thousands of people, a few hundred got interviewed, and they started offering spots already! Congrats to those who get in! It sounds good.
how do you know?

what companies started offering?

how many spots are there available?

phrred

HSC
do they only look at marks for accounting or everything?

cause if its everythin im a bit stuffed. my WAM is about 68-69, i got 76 for accounting 1A and im on 27/30 for acct 1B at UNSW.

My extra curric activities only include sport- 3 times a week, two at uni.
I might do peer mentoring next yr but i wont be here for the week before O-Week. I also like trading and have a part time job

What are my chances?

peanutbolt

~Cold
HSC
Quote:
Originally Posted by seremify007
how do you know?

what companies started offering?

how many spots are there available?

there were about 1000-1500ish applications, 300 were applicable and shortlisted, 60 were interviewed and 31 placements will be offered (have already started to be offered). this comes directly from the ICAA themselves. congrats to everyone who got in!!!
chow

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
peanutbolt said:
there were about 1000-1500ish applications, 300 were applicable and shortlisted, 60 were interviewed and 31 placements will be offered (have already started to be offered). this comes directly from the ICAA themselves. congrats to everyone who got in!!!
chow
Wow :)

That's even worse than the odds to gain a grad position in some of the big names.

peanutbolt

~Cold
HSC
seremify007 said:
Wow :)

That's even worse than the odds to gain a grad position in some of the big names.
indeed it is, i wonder if they give any option on what division you work in?
should be good though,
chow

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
just wondering, how were the interviews this year?
what did u guys get asked?

peanutbolt

~Cold
HSC
generic interview really, nothing that you'd need to prep for. first they started off asking "why are you doing your course?", "what do you enjoy/like about it?", "tell us a situation in your year of studies where you had to work in a group?".
then they go on to your work experience and basically ask stuff from your application that you lodged eg from mine was; "how do you deal with deadlines in your work?" or "tell us about x activity that you did during school/uni?" (basically asking what i got out of it, what i value as a professional and individual).
so the interview questions were around my application/resume.

what did the people last year get to do when they started working? do they choose what division you go into? many christmas parties and boozefests? and how did you manage to wear a suit in peak hour, jam packed trains and 30 degree heat?

chow

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)