Cadetships 2008/09 (1 Viewer)

Malazn Pleasure

External Auditor
HSC
Re: Cadetships 2007

ctkid said:
hey i understand ur at a big 4...so which 1 r u at...i may be coming 2 ur firm nxt yr
Only the best and coolest big 4 in the world... :jaw:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad

Malazn Pleasure said:
Only the best and coolest big 4 in the world...
Damn straight!

Btw to those who got offers from D... how long are you guys working full time?

Last edited:

ctkid

HSC

seremify007 said:
Malazn Pleasure said:
Only the best and coolest big 4 in the world... /quote]

Damn straight!

Btw to those who got offers from D... how long are you guys working full time?
awesome..im coming to the best and coolest firm 2...;)
wat div r u in

Malazn Pleasure

External Auditor
HSC

me or seremify?

That quote looks funny, I dont remember saying that...

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad

Malazn Pleasure said:
me or seremify?

That quote looks funny, I dont remember saying that...
LOL I thought I would've met most of the BoSers at the congratulatory functions!

dashkenny

HSC

For those who have lost hope, my friend just got a call from PwC for 2nd round offer. Melbourne that is =)

Anyone else here doing Deloitte's at Melbourne, oh and seremify we work only 1 year full time, the other 2 years are part time.

No allowance but --"

div123

HSC

wat do u mean no allowance dashkenny ??

Malazn Pleasure

External Auditor
HSC

I assume its "get paid while studying" allowance.

Some firms give like $100-200 per fortnight while studying full time.

dashkenny

HSC

Yeah the allowance,

we are required to work part time during our full time studies. Oh well :S

Can't wait for July 08' to roll in ! :wave:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad

Malazn Pleasure said:
I assume its "get paid while studying" allowance.

Some firms give like $100-200 per fortnight while studying full time.
It's a trainee allowance paid whilst you are at full time uni on the condition that you return to the firm when you graduate. If you do not return, then you have to repay it.

dashkenny

HSC

Ahuhs

Funny that, haven't even started and already friends getting all patriotic about her firm, giving Deloitte's shiet already --"

Btw to those currently doing cadetships, how are the work hours?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad

dashkenny said:
For those who have lost hope, my friend just got a call from PwC for 2nd round offer. Melbourne that is =)

Anyone else here doing Deloitte's at Melbourne, oh and seremify we work only 1 year full time, the other 2 years are part time.

No allowance but --"
Considering you guys get that huge payment upon completion of subjects, I don't think it's such a bad thing. Although TBH I'd need to see the actual contract to understand it better rather than relying on what I've heard (or read) on the forums.

dashkenny said:
Ahuhs

Funny that, haven't even started and already friends getting all patriotic about her firm, giving Deloitte's shiet already --"

Btw to those currently doing cadetships, how are the work hours?
I liken firms to high school and universtiy. Some people are full of anxiety and pride, others are not. If you were in the latter category, do you really think you'd be posting on BoS to begin with?

As for working hours, considering we're in busy season, I've been working pretty sold 8:45-5:15 to 5:45ish everyday for the past 3 wks (not counting days where i have uni where i leave at 3pm) with a standard 45min-1hr lunch break. I've had much worse in other times so I'm surprised things are going quite well :)

Vagabond

Machine
HSC

With the exception of competing for certain major audits etc, there is very little rivalry between the firms.. You'll notice this when employees mix after work, even formal inter-firm functions and what not.

The big4 each have a nice slice of pie and together have very little to worry about - each have their place and realistically, due to indepedence issues, its barely feasible for there to be less than 4 big firms...

---

Hours? So far so great. May vary enormously according to jobs however. My current engagement though allows me to leave 15 mins early (5pm on the dot) and lunchbreaks are very generous. The icing on the cake is free yum cha for arriving to work on time this week :D

leoyh

mic`
HSC

hey guys just wanna clear something up. some sites say that you may be offered graduate employment upon completion of your degree (if you're a cadet of course). is that true? do most firms still 'consider' after you complete your degree or do the vast majority take you in as a graduate?

Vagabond

Machine
HSC

Vast majority...

Unless you were that bad... ...In which case you really wouldn't want to stick around anyway.

leoyh

mic`
HSC

did most of the people who got offers have like a stack of activities like prefect, fundraising, debating, drama, sport, community services etc or did you guys only have a few, with a mixture of okay to good marks and then you aced the interview (if you got one) and then got an offer ?

cause i'm the latter atm

La Divina

maxin' and relaxin'
HSC

Well, i know that in the first round one on one interviews, the way to ace them is if you have heaps of extra curricular activities. This is because they always a have "tell me about a time you..." so its handy to have a lot of things to choose from to talk about. But then again, its not necessary to go all out and do everything, i guess its good enough to be well rounded in that having a 1 or 2 significant things in all areas of extra currics (leadership, community/volunteering, sport, competitions, hobbies, music/dance etc etc) would be useful.

As far as marks are concerned, i think if you have marks decent enough to get you into a uni where u can do com part time is good enough, which applies in ur case.

so yeah its a combo of the former and latter of what u said.
theres my 2 cents. =) hope it helped.

leoyh

mic`
HSC

i've got like a few significant ones i suppose so im hoping to get more cause i know that in their interviews they use behavioural interview techniques where they ask you a lot about your past behaviour cause thats the best indicator of future behaviour.

thanks for the help la divina!

oh and if you dont mind me asking, which firms did you apply for and did you get any offers?

ctkid

HSC

ye man they definately look for a combo...its just not as easy people make it ought to be...most people i know that got cadetships including me, got thme on the basis of their overall involvement, and a lotta people believe its to do with academics...academics do help-to a certain extent only. its moreso how much of a life you have outiside of ur school academic activities is where you will differentiate yourself. and getting interviews isnt hard if ur application is half decent. its about how you present yourself at the interview.

goodluck with your applications next year and if you don't already, there is plenty of time to commit yourself to tonnes of co-curricular activities to give yourself a well-rounded person kind of appeal. a 90uai with lots of co-curricular is better than a 99 uai with no life, considering the required uai at min is 85.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)