Cadetships 2008/09 (1 Viewer)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
the fact hes good gives him the option to screw with ppl, kthxbye
What makes him so good? If he isn't willing to be genuinely committed to the program, then nothing else really matters. Working full time and then having to go to uni at night, and maybe even have more work to do after that, is not an easy thing to manage especially if you don't genuinely care for it.

FINALFLASH-GO

HSC
What makes him so good? If he isn't willing to be genuinely committed to the program, then nothing else really matters. Working full time and then having to go to uni at night, and maybe even have more work to do after that, is not an easy thing to manage especially if you don't genuinely care for it.
but the employers dont know that he wants to leg it... cadetships seems pretty crazy..... confidence on making one dropping

paperpromises

HSC
the fact hes good gives him the option to screw with ppl, kthxbye
The option maybe... but whether he has the right to waste the time of everyone involved in the recruitment process, and the right to take up a cadetship which other people desperately want but is merely through to be a safe backup plan, then that's another story.

FINALFLASH-GO

HSC
The option maybe... but whether he has the right to waste the time of everyone involved in the recruitment process, and the right to take up a cadetship which other people desperately want but is merely through to be a safe backup plan, then that's another story.
im guessing u missed out

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Dude why would you apply if you have absolutely no intention of taking it seriously? All it does is waste our time and if you do get in, it denies someone else an opportunity which they would have been grateful for, and made the most out of it.
It's not really your job to decide if someone has interest in it or not. There has not been any mention in my post that I don't like Accounting...or not interesting in accounting. I just said, I am not sure what I will do.

Besides then what's up with all the people applying for all the scholarships available to them? It's all about leaving the options open. I didn't say that I have NO intention of taking it. I do have intention but I am just not completely sure. I am quite confident that my future career will involve some business but I am not entirely sure what I will do in future. And one of the reason why I am applying for this is to have some back-up or of some sort since I am not sure what I will do in future.

I am also counting in the possibility that I might know more about Accounting in future (with increasing "tutorials" to come) and get more interested in it. And if that happens to come, accounting cadetship will come very handy.

Besides, at the moment, imho, there isn't many people who know a lot of accounting. They say that they are genuinely interested but what do you really know about Accounting seriously? All they probably had was some people coming to their school talking about how awesome accounting is or from their friends, families and etc. My mum is an accountant and you would expect someone like me to know a lot about it, but I don't. You never know what job can hold unless you experience it.

And this goes back to my point earlier. People say that they are interested in the offer but how much? How much do they know about it? How passionate are they about it? They SAY that they know. They SAY that they are interested. The big fat chance is, they don't.

BTW, I know the consequence it holds when I do get in and reject the offer. It's a pity if someone takes someone else's position.

But that happens in life. You just got to try your harder to get in. If others get in because they are better than you, stop complaining. All you have is yourself to blame for not being better.

Remember you need to sign and accept the contract within a set time frame from when it is offered. This is a good 6 months or so before your HSC results will be out so if you're holding out until you find out if you got into Comm/Law or Med, then that means you're going to have to cancel on a contract you signed. You won't be penalised but it really does make things difficult for us if we're doing resourcing and staff bookings for our client engagements.
But are you also aware of the fact that someone applying has always wasted his resource (e.g. physical) by applying? It's an even situation really. As much as the sponsor has wasted its resource by having all the scheduling done, the applicant has done the same.

In this current climate there are heaps of people out there who genuinely want a spot and will make the most of it if they are offered one. If you are simply someone who isn't sure of what you want to do, then that's fine- it's understandable. But don't apply for one as a joke or a mere 'back up' because the cadetship program requires a considerable level of commitment.
Well I guess my definition of "back up" was quite different from yours. But my definition in regards to my situation still holds.

So my conclusion is, many people who are "interested" in accounting know jack shit all about accounting. I will just consider that your post is more directed at people who drop off the cadetship while they are doing it because those people are the one who waste more resource while taking someone else's spot.

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
but the employers dont know that he wants to leg it... cadetships seems pretty crazy..... confidence on making one dropping
I can't emphasise this enough though- even though cadetships seem full of glamour with the nice office, business cards, freebies, lunches, clients, suits, leather folders, free laptops with wireless cards, dinner parties, taxis, corporate credit cards, corporate phones, etc... it is still a full time job. There's no if's or but's- it will require a full time commitment.

I don't want to scare people away who would thrive at this opportunity but those who say they want it as a 'back-up' have nfi what they're talking about- it's not something which you can fall back on. You either want to do it and make the most of it, or you don't. If you're hoping for something better to come along, chances are, you don't really have your heart set on a cadetship and working full time right after highschool is no easy feat- and then you have to juggle uni. That's before you even get into exam time when you may need to juggle uni work and client work.

I have to admit I am a bit bitter about this because I've seen great candidates who missed out on cadetships but had they got in, they would've made the most of it and actually added value. This contrasts the person who got in because they felt they deserved it or they had the right to, and end up doing the bare minimum and end up not getting anything out of it.

In terms of the how it impacts upon other people who work in the firm, say for example someone accepts the offer because they are waiting to see if they got into med or comm/law which is fine. But by the time they know they aren't joining the firm anymore, it causes a headache for those who have already planned bookings/resources (i.e. allocation of client work and tasks to new joiners) who were anticipating someone joining on XYZ date. It sounds meaningless but yes this is a headache for alot of people- for what? For someone who really didn't even want to do the cadetship but signed it because they wanted a 'backup option' to give them money whilst they're in uni? No, this is not a scholarship, this is a full time job. There's a key difference.

im guessing u missed out
Uncalled for.

melonbunny

HSC
OMG seriously my cadetship is so good!!! I get a nice office, business cards, freebies, lunches, clients, suits, leather folders, free laptops with wireless cards, dinner parties, taxis, corporate credit cards, corporate phones, etc

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Before I begin, I really do support the cadetship program and think it's a great way to learn and work simultaneously as you learn heaps and can directly apply it to your everyday work. But that being said, it's a huge commitment and not something to be taken lightly.

Lyounamu, look, I didn't mean for it to be that personal even if it seemed that way but basically the point I am trying to make here is that a cadetship is not just a scholarship or a way to pay for your uni. It's a genuine full-on commitment and it's not something which you can take lightly.

I understand that there are many people who are in a similar situation and want to keep their options open, but you have to remember that unlike a scholarship where all you are doing is applying to receive a grant, this is something which will require a lot of your time (if not all of it) in the future. Unless you would genuinely consider doing so, there really is no point in accepting the cadetship.

I suppose I should also clarify here that alot of my arguments are more directed at those individuals who accept cadetships at the time, and then back out of it after HSC results come out (i.e. 6 months later they cancel on their contract). As mentioned above this creates a headache and also denies the opportunity to those who could've made the most of it.

Besides, at the moment, imho, there isn't many people who know a lot of accounting. They say that they are genuinely interested but what do you really know about Accounting seriously? All they probably had was some people coming to their school talking about how awesome accounting is or from their friends, families and etc. My mum is an accountant and you would expect someone like me to know a lot about it, but I don't. You never know what job can hold unless you experience it.

And this goes back to my point earlier. People say that they are interested in the offer but how much? How much do they know about it? How passionate are they about it? They SAY that they know. They SAY that they are interested. The big fat chance is, they don't.
Of course noone really knows what they want- but I think it comes down to how lightly you treat the subject on this forum. Maybe you have the respect of all your other BoS-mates but as far as I can tell, you seem very proud of the fact that you will have these cadetships as nothing more than just back up plans. Yep, you called it a backup yourself- that means your true intentions are elsewhere. If that's the case, are you sure you really want to tarnish your name by even signing a contract for one?

For me, the choice was easy. I knew I wanted one and I went all out to get one. Not everyone knew it to the same degree, but everyone who I work with and accepted it knew that this was something they were willing to do and put the effort in.

BTW, I know the consequence it holds when I do get in and reject the offer. It's a pity if someone takes someone else's position.

But that happens in life. You just got to try your harder to get in. If others get in because they are better than you, stop complaining. All you have is yourself to blame for not being better.
I know it happens in life but it doesn't change the fact that there are people who do apply and get in, with absolutely zero intention of taking it. I'm not saying you're one such person- but I can name quite a few people who fit that description in the prior year, who did get Big4 cadetships, and surprise surprise, not one took it.

(EDIT: Emphasis again on I'm referring to accepting the offer initially and cancelling later on)

But are you also aware of the fact that someone applying has always wasted his resource (e.g. physical) by applying? It's an even situation really. As much as the sponsor has wasted its resource by having all the scheduling done, the applicant has done the same.
Hate to say it but one person's efforts in copying and pasting an application with a few tweaks here and there vs. a whole bunch of managers who have had to read applications, interview candidates, conduct group assessments and plan their staffing needs for the next 12 months. Hmm.... I agree that on both sides it has an impact, but again this relates more to those who sign and don't show on day 1.

So my conclusion is, many people who are "interested" in accounting know jack shit all about accounting. I will just consider that your post is more directed at people who drop off the cadetship while they are doing it because those people are the one who waste more resource while taking someone else's spot.
You are correct in that assumption- but because of the time lag between cadetship offers and HSC results (typically when people cancel on their cadetship), most people do end up fitting into that category.

I hope this post clarifies my intentions and the point I was trying to make about those who are merely doing this as a backup probably aren't that interested in the idea of committing to a full time job and are better off applying for a scholarship or something.

(edit: Apologies if I have totally misinterpretted what your intentions or thoughts on the subject are, and if you do want to consider it and would contemplate putting in 100% if you do decide to go ahead with it, then by all means, apply for it- and good luck! But please think about it carefully because if you don't think you want to work full time and be committed to a full time job, then there is no point- and it also impacts upon many other people)

Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Well, fair enough. I agree with you. It was wrong for me to have assumed such commitment as "back-up".

Please excuse my poor conduct on such use of vocabulary. It was quite naive and quite unintentional.

hungwell1337

HSC
N/A
theres also ppl who apply for scholarships and cadetships, since a scholarship is much more appealing, wouldnt it be in their best interest to use have a cadetship as a back up?

¬_¬

HSC
theres also ppl who apply for scholarships and cadetships, since a scholarship is much more appealing, wouldnt it be in their best interest to use have a cadetship as a back up?
The gist of the above is that a cadetship and a scholarship are two very very different things but unfortunately most people are misinformed and think of them as being pretty much the same. Both are appealing for different reasons and to different people.

A scholarship is a grant paid to you whilst you continue your studies because you are an excellent student and have proven that you'd be of interest to the sponsors- and some scholarships (i.e. coop scholarships) include work placement opportunities. A cadetship on the other hand is a full time job (yep that's 9-5 everyday with the ocassional unpaid overtime!) which you undertake after you finish high school and you get a bit of extra annual leave to be used for attending uni classes each week and exams during the exam periods. The pay is obviously alot higher because it's a full time job as opposed to just a grant in exchange for a bit of work experience.

The reason why it doesn't make a good backup is you either are passionate and want to work full time, or you don't. Having a full time job as a backup to a scholarship doesn't sound like a very good idea if you had your heart set on a normal first year uni experience if you get what I mean.

¬_¬

HSC
Um...can't you get BOTH Scholarship and Cadetship lol?
It is possible to get an academic scholarship (i.e. high UAI) or a special scholarship (the ones which reward certain activities/involvement/participation/characteristics, etc.. as long as it's not an industrial training/work placement) plus a cadetship but I don't think you're supposed to accept both since IIRC one of the conditions of the academic scholarship is you are not to engage in any kind of cadetship. It is also possible to get (and accept) both an academic scholarship and a coop scholarship from the same university.

The thing which you can't get is both a coop scholarship and a cadetship. These two are incompatible and chances are, it's the same HR/recruitment people who offered the cadetship, who are also on the interview panel of the coop scholarship.

Mkj

HSC
where do u work seremify???

also does anyone know how many people pwc would b taking this year??

Timelord09

HSC
where do u work seremify???

also does anyone know how many people pwc would b taking this year??

He works at Pricewaterhousecoopers

and he's quite knowledgeable about these matters.

Kudos to Seremify.

memento

HSC
this thread is awesome!

im applying for cadetship this year but am from canberra, guess it'll be a hassle travelling between syd and cbr if i get interviews at all in a month or two...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)