Cadetships 2008/09 (2 Viewers)

sslions

HSC
Re: Cadetships 2007

i'm just wondering, in terms of course selection for Macquarie University, would the Bachelor of Commerce or the Bachelor of Commerce-Accounting be more suited for an accounting cadetship? I assumed that I could just major in accounting in the Bachelor of Commerce, but apparently the Bachelor of Commerce-Accounting is more common for students wishing to be an accounting professional. What have current cadets done? Could I put both courses in my UAC preferences?

bukwow

I am a Banana
HSC

from what i know, the b-commerce accg is recommended if you want to do a CA, mainly because all the subjects that are prereq to the CA is pretty much in the course. As compared to the normal b-commerce majoring in accounting though, i'm not entirely sure, but i think you would have to use up some of ur electives to match the prereq of the course.

i'm currently doing the bcomm accg and all the other cadets i know are as well, so i'm not too sure whats the major difference in them

kodos

Premium Member
HSC

Sorry to bump this thread but I just received a call a couple days ago that I have received a cadetship opportunity due to someone dropping out. Apparently the way it goes is 1st year is full time work and part time uni, and the remaining years are part time work and full time uni. Question is how long will it take for me to graduate? and also is it possible to drop out of the cadetship after the first year and still finish the degree within 3 years? (this is at UNSW btw)

Also I heard first year of the degree is really important and by working full time and studying part time the stuff I may learn may not really sink in, is this true?

And finally I am seeking to seek future employment in the finance field rather than accounting despite my intentions to major both in accounting and finance. Will the Cadetship be a waste of a time then?

Last edited:

kelsinator

HSC

You are wanting to get into the finance field?
woah, you should have applied for UBS' cadetships!
They are the first non-accounting cadetship this year and they gave out five- I'm doing HR, and theres 2 finance and 2 operations cadetships.
anyway, I don't know a lot about the whole financial industry but I know at UBS we really outsource the majority of accounting work..
my advice? go for internships at the leading finance companies- gives you a foot in the door of the industry you want to be in, and means greater chance of employment upon graduation.
but thats only my advice. good luck :)

leoyh

mic`
HSC

kodos said:
Sorry to bump this thread but I just received a call a couple days ago that I have received a cadetship opportunity due to someone dropping out. Apparently the way it goes is 1st year is full time work and part time uni, and the remaining years are part time work and full time uni. Question is how long will it take for me to graduate? and also is it possible to drop out of the cadetship after the first year and still finish the degree within 3 years? (this is at UNSW btw)

Also I heard first year of the degree is really important and by working full time and studying part time the stuff I may learn may not really sink in, is this true?

And finally I am seeking to seek future employment in the finance field rather than accounting despite my intentions to major both in accounting and finance. Will the Cadetship be a waste of a time then?
finishing your degree takes about 4 years because according to my knowledge, one of the programs requires you to do full time work and part time uni for 2 years, and then full time uni and part time work for 2 years, so yeah about 4 years all up (differs from firm to firm depending on the program they use). and whether or not you can drop out, i'm not sure, i think you sign a contract when you start that lasts until you graduate? i'm not sure about that

as for hte first year thing, i don't think you need to be overly worried about that. if you're the person who can work and study and get that balance, then its not a problem. a lot of cadets manage it

the cadetship won't necessarily be a waste of time even if ur going for finance because it'll be like a learning experience and the work you do there and the stuff you do for the firms that request your services may somehow involve finance so it'll give you a view. and if not, it'll be very impressive on your resume that you completed a cadetship

btw, what firm did you get?

meagan354

HSC

yay im going on 24th may too =)
and ill be wearing my school uniform .. no time to change either =P
and i think that interviews are only starting in around june/july
but some company called "business cadetships" is opening their applications on the 28th of march (or 29th.. or 26th.. some day late in march =P)
but i think everything else is quite a lot later ..
and i dont think that academics are giong to matter tooooo much.. apparently they look mostly for extracurricular activities, leadership roles that you've had, previous work experience (unpaid or paid), how you present yourself.. that sort of stuff .. though i know that "business cadetships" had a minimum UAI requirement of 85 .. not sure about the big 4 though ..

deakin2009

HSC

any cadets from last year in the big 4 care to share how they are finding their firms??? i have offers for vac work from deloitte and KPMG and would love to get some insight into the firms

cheers

cerene

procrastinator
HSC

LOL did u get EY by any chance? I called them on the 7th or something to reject my cadetship position.

If it is EY, best of luck =)

My reason for not taking it was because a cadetship is a very valuable opportunity, however its only really good if you want to become an accountant, and you really really know in ur heart that u want to be an accountant. there are so much more opportunities out there and if ur bright and hard working, im sure all the big4 and finance firms will want u when u graduate.

goodluck =)

dils1989

dilssssssssssss
HSC

If you're doing it this way, it should take you about 5-6 years to complete Uni. However, you can also do summer school and winter school programs which will bog this number down to 3.
umm wat??

im doing this at deloitte currently abt to start 3rd yr and its going to take me 3 and a half yrs without summer school...

4 subs first yr

8 subs 2nd

8 subs 3rd

4 subs 4th (1st sem)

shakky15

HSC

umm wat??

im doing this at deloitte currently abt to start 3rd yr and its going to take me 3 and a half yrs without summer school...

4 subs first yr

8 subs 2nd

8 subs 3rd

4 subs 4th (1st sem)
so effectively you became a full time student in yr 2, 3 and 4?

how was the study load?

dils1989

dilssssssssssss
HSC

so effectively you became a full time student in yr 2, 3 and 4?

how was the study load?
yeh for 2nd, 3rd and 4tf yr u are a FT student... i nomrally fit my whole timetable into 2 days (i dont bother goin to most lectures after the first few weeks so my timetable turns into 2 hours for 2 days) and i get a day off and work 2 days a week... its very managable - most uni students have a part time job anyway so essentially yeh ure just a normal FT student...

wowness

HSC
any one start applin for this year? or is any on going to the ceminar at darling harbour.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
I am applying for PricewaterhouseCoopers, Ernst and Young, Deloitte, and KPMG LOL

I am not that interested in Cadetship but this is something that I can fall back on...LOL

Some Cadetship evening is going to take place in mid-May :)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
LOL you seriously going for all Big 4? Have fun with that Namu. I'm sure you will make it with your skills. Although, I hear that PwC isn't accepting as many cadets as they were before.

I'll be applying for one Big 4 and several mitier firms.
Uhh...yeah, I am going for all Big 4 and not the small ones.

Hahaha as I said, even if I get in, I am not even sure if I will take the offer because I am only considering this as a back-up or something to fall back on.... I am not sure what I want to do so it doesn't matter if I get in or not...and I thought I might give the best shot at the top companies since I am applying haha ..

BTW, what;s the limit as to how many companies you can apply?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Aw, it would be such a waste to go through the whole interview process and reject it. I think you should give it a shot, even if Accounting/Finance isn't your first option.

I don't think there is a limit to how many companies you can apply - it is dependent on if you have enough time to attend all interviews, as they take place very close to the HSC exam period.
I will see what I can get and choose the best option. Cadetship isn't exactly the best alternative out of all the things that I can possible access but having that to fall back on would be a safe option...

McLoving

HSC
I will see what I can get and choose the best option. Cadetship isn't exactly the best alternative out of all the things that I can possible access but having that to fall back on would be a safe option...
i am going cya there

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Uhh...yeah, I am going for all Big 4 and not the small ones.

Hahaha as I said, even if I get in, I am not even sure if I will take the offer because I am only considering this as a back-up or something to fall back on.... I am not sure what I want to do so it doesn't matter if I get in or not...and I thought I might give the best shot at the top companies since I am applying haha ..

BTW, what;s the limit as to how many companies you can apply?
Dude why would you apply if you have absolutely no intention of taking it seriously? All it does is waste our time and if you do get in, it denies someone else an opportunity which they would have been grateful for, and made the most out of it.

Remember you need to sign and accept the contract within a set time frame from when it is offered. This is a good 6 months or so before your HSC results will be out so if you're holding out until you find out if you got into Comm/Law or Med, then that means you're going to have to cancel on a contract you signed. You won't be penalised but it really does make things difficult for us if we're doing resourcing and staff bookings for our client engagements.

ps. Apologies to other people if this post sounds really scary/mean/horrible, but if you are someone who genuinely has no interest in accepting a cadetship and committing to it (it's a great program and offers heaps of opportunities, and at most you only lose 1 year of full time uni), please don't take the spot from other people. In this current climate there are heaps of people out there who genuinely want a spot and will make the most of it if they are offered one. If you are simply someone who isn't sure of what you want to do, then that's fine- it's understandable. But don't apply for one as a joke or a mere 'back up' because the cadetship program requires a considerable level of commitment.

FINALFLASH-GO

HSC
Dude why would you apply if you have absolutely no intention of taking it seriously? All it does is waste our time and if you do get in, it denies someone else an opportunity which they would have been grateful for, and made the most out of it.

Remember you need to sign and accept the contract within a set time frame from when it is offered. This is a good 6 months or so before your HSC results will be out so if you're holding out until you find out if you got into Comm/Law or Med, then that means you're going to have to cancel on a contract you signed. You won't be penalised but it really does make things difficult for us if we're doing resourcing and staff bookings for our client engagements.

ps. Apologies to other people if this post sounds really scary/mean/horrible, but if you are someone who genuinely has no interest in accepting a cadetship and committing to it (it's a great program and offers heaps of opportunities, and at most you only lose 1 year of full time uni), please don't take the spot from other people. In this current climate there are heaps of people out there who genuinely want a spot and will make the most of it if they are offered one. If you are simply someone who isn't sure of what you want to do, then that's fine- it's understandable. But don't apply for one as a joke or a mere 'back up' because the cadetship program requires a considerable level of commitment.
the fact hes good gives him the option to screw with ppl, kthxbye

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)