Cairns Stabbing: 8 kids murdered (1 Viewer)

Cleavage

Clarence
HSC
Uni Grad
Incredibly horrific

Its a shame it hasn't received the coverage of the Martin Place hostage situation

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
I for one think this is terrible and I'm not afraid to admit it.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
i turned on channel 7 before and the weren't talking about it

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
Incredibly horrific

Its a shame it hasn't received the coverage of the Martin Place hostage situation
The media has definitely covered this quite heavily. Only reason it's not to the same extent as Martin Pl is because the Martin Pl incident was ongoing.

But I guess if you really wanted to watch for 24 hours a video feed of a house where nothing is happening, then you could ask locals and see if they're willing to set up something for you.

Cleavage

Clarence
HSC
Uni Grad
The media has definitely covered this quite heavily. Only reason it's not to the same extent as Martin Pl is because the Martin Pl incident was ongoing.

But I guess if you really wanted to watch for 24 hours a video feed of a house where nothing is happening, then you could ask locals and see if they're willing to set up something for you.
I understand the point you are trying to make, but there is more to media coverage than 24h video feed.

The daily telegraph had a 2 page spread about the shotgun (yes, the shotgun) used in the hostage situation 5 days after the event. If that isn't ongoing coverage, I'm really unsure what is.

Even today, the daily tele has on their homepage 2 articles regarding the wife of Man Haron Monis and her bail for an upcoming trial. SMH, same coverage of the Sydney Siege, and a distinct lack of coverage of the stabbings. I can honestly say that I have no idea about the perpetrator of the stabbings.

Both events were horrific, but to say the media has performed an adequate job in informing the wider public about a string of brutal infant murders is somewhat ignorant. While I can understand how a terrorist action can incite more media attention (particularly in the far more populous Sydney CBD than Cairns), the Australian media as a whole has demonstrated this week how inadequate of a role it fulfils in providing rational, balanced coverage of events and issues.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)