• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Can you maintain a straight-edge lifestyle? (1 Viewer)

Do you believe you be able to maintain/start a new straight-edge lifestyle?

• Total voters

David Spade

Banned
HSC
N/A
Casual sex is also prohibited when living a straight-edge lifestyle.

I was edge until some time last year.

Now:
- I drink on a regular basis and always end up smashed
- I've only had casual sex, and never had sex in a relationship
- I plan to try weed, at least
- I plan to try smoking.
lol

David Spade

Banned
HSC
N/A
Lol @ Bree planning it.

Just let it happen, eh?

Used to be edge. Whole kit 'n' kaboodle:

no sex
no drugs
no alcohol

was also christian and vegan, lol.

gave up purely for experiences ('cept now I'm pescartarian (sp?), no land animals or birds but I do eat some seafood + eggs, some dairy.)
no regrets.
haha fuckin tard

duckcowhybrid

HSC
So far in my life I've been fairly sXe except I fap a lot. Also good job using CM Punk as an example, and if anyone thinks he's putting himself on a pedestal, he's just playing a character that's supposed to be a bad guy (DRUG FREE = BAD for some reason) and as such sounds like a dickhead. Although CM Punk does practice sXe irl, he rarely, if ever makes comments such as these when he's himself. I watch too much wrestling.

steeez

HSC
I agree with the post about people thinking they are more morally adept because they don't give in to temptations (I cbf going back to the first page and finding it).

Personally I beleive whatever you do is a matter of lifestyle choice. If you enjoy drinking, do it. If you enjoy smoking, do it. If you enjoy sex (uh, hello?) then do it.

I myself drink almost every weekend, I smoke a packet of cigarettes every 3-4 days, I smoke weed about once every two weeks and have tried other drugs (i.e ecstasy) although I don't take them regularly, more of a special occasion thing. I also have fairly casual sex (am in a relationship now, but when i'm not, i do tend to screw around).

That said, i'm pretty much on par with most of my friends. I go to a selective high school - we're all pretty high achievers (not trying to sound boasty or w/e) but it just goes to show you can enjoy shit without it affecting your academic lifestyle. I do the things I because I simply enjoy them... not in an attempt to be 'cool', nor do I do anything excessively to the point it can fuck up other aspects of my life. I can also easily abstain from the things i've said (bar smoking to a degree haha. and yes, although i enjoy it i do regret starting but am planning to quit within the near future - hsc is stressful!)

I live in south-west Sydney and some of the shit you see people doing (local kids, of course - I live far from where I go to school) is alot worse than me, and tenfold worse than the stuff i've seen in this thread. Weed every day, pills every weekend, base/speed all the time and this is 15-16 year olds.

I don't really see the point i'm aiming for here but i guess i'm trying to say that its possible to maintain a moralistic and well rounded person while letting loose sometimes and enjoying your life. I'm still a christian, i'm respectful, and i do fairly well in school. I'm suprised at the number of replies in this thread of people who claim to have never touched anything. I've got nothing against these people - congratulations for having the ability to withhold yourself from temptations, I respect that. I just don't think its necessary to have people flaunting around their status' as 'edge' like its some kind of superiority over others in life.

That said, I still fucking love Minor Threat LOL
/rant

kiniki

HSC
I agree with the post about people thinking they are more morally adept because they don't give in to temptations (I cbf going back to the first page and finding it).

Personally I beleive whatever you do is a matter of lifestyle choice. If you enjoy drinking, do it. If you enjoy smoking, do it. If you enjoy sex (uh, hello?) then do it.

I myself drink almost every weekend, I smoke a packet of cigarettes every 3-4 days, I smoke weed about once every two weeks and have tried other drugs (i.e ecstasy) although I don't take them regularly, more of a special occasion thing. I also have fairly casual sex (am in a relationship now, but when i'm not, i do tend to screw around).

That said, i'm pretty much on par with most of my friends. I go to a selective high school - we're all pretty high achievers (not trying to sound boasty or w/e) but it just goes to show you can enjoy shit without it affecting your academic lifestyle. I do the things I because I simply enjoy them... not in an attempt to be 'cool', nor do I do anything excessively to the point it can fuck up other aspects of my life. I can also easily abstain from the things i've said (bar smoking to a degree haha. and yes, although i enjoy it i do regret starting but am planning to quit within the near future - hsc is stressful!)

I live in south-west Sydney and some of the shit you see people doing (local kids, of course - I live far from where I go to school) is alot worse than me, and tenfold worse than the stuff i've seen in this thread. Weed every day, pills every weekend, base/speed all the time and this is 15-16 year olds.

I don't really see the point i'm aiming for here but i guess i'm trying to say that its possible to maintain a moralistic and well rounded person while letting loose sometimes and enjoying your life. I'm still a christian, i'm respectful, and i do fairly well in school. I'm suprised at the number of replies in this thread of people who claim to have never touched anything. I've got nothing against these people - congratulations for having the ability to withhold yourself from temptations, I respect that. I just don't think its necessary to have people flaunting around their status' as 'edge' like its some kind of superiority over others in life.

/rant
+1 well said

imsopostmodern

cool as a kuhncumber
HSC

/rant
how can you justify your actions in accordance with what should be your beliefs as a christian?

quik.

HSC
Anyone could, but nobody has to.

I don't drink for a couple of reasons, I don't smoke because I think it's stupid. Others are free to do what they like, different strokes.

The wrestler in the OP preaching about it is infinitely worse than the boys going for drinks on a fri night or whatever

steeez

HSC
how can you justify your actions in accordance with what should be your beliefs as a christian?
I'm not trying to justify my actions as Christian. They are far from it... by being a Christian i'm simply saying that I beleive in God by upbringing and treat others the way I wish to be treated, live with integrity etc etc. I'm not a hardcore Christian that goes to church twice a week and studies the bible, just making the distinction that i'm not a complete asshole with disregard for religion and other people, end of that.. but lets not let this turn into a religious argument. Save that shit for Youtube :haha:

DarthCUD

Shaman of Sexy
I dont stay in the same location all the time.
HSC
I am straight edge now and i intend to be for the rest of my life. Although recently i have been thinking that i cant maintain the lifestyle, like i might try some things later then either die of overdose or go back to being straight edge.

When i say this thread i knew it was going to be about CM punk cos i havnt straight edge mentioned anywhere other than on the WWE.

Last edited:

shaner

HSC
N/A
This is a pretty interesting discussion. Two points here:

1. Being straight edge is NOT easy and most people are NOT able to do it. There is a high degree of self control necessary to avoid doing things that might be easy or immediately pleasurable. By being straight edge, I mean that's it for life. There's no bouncing back and forth... you either are, or you aren’t. I'm sorry, but that's how it is... kinda like virginity; no take backs.

It's pretty tough for 16-25 year olds simply because most of your friends are drinking, doing drugs, etc. Good friends and good people respect that you choose not to do certain things and usually say something like, 'that's great, I wish I could do that'. The people who either try to get you to drink or give you crap about your choice are usually self-loathing, weak individuals who feel that because you're not drinking, they must be doing something wrong and want to bring you to their level. This is all of course assuming that you haven't been the typical straight edge child by rubbing it in their face and preaching - if you do that, gloves are off and what you get is what you deserve.

After that age, it becomes significantly easier to maintain because people's lives don't revolve around some form of mind-state alteration. Although people still drink, they usually do so as a peripheral, not the focus. At this point, most people know you don't drink, respect your choice, and don't question it. Also, by this point you've built up some pretty good self control and not drinking isn't a choice... drinking would be the choice. Think of it this way - you don't intentionally choose to not step in front of a speeding bus, it's just a normal part of life to stay somewhere on the safe side of the platform. The choice would be jumping off. I realize of course that everything is a choice, but some things are, or become, just life; the anomalies are the choices.

2. Being straight edge is not defined by anything other than someone's promise to themselves to keep their body and mind free of mind altering chemicals. Religion, upbringing, friends, music - these are things that may have led you to being straight edge (or not), but they can fade. Your promise to yourself to maintain this lifestyle is all you have. Religious rules can be reinterpreted, family values can change, friends change (and lose their 'x') and music is something that inspires you, but grows redundant if you play the same song enough. If you truly are straight edge, it's because you believe that it's the best thing you can do as yourself and you're committed to that. Nothing more; nothing less.

As a corollary to this black and white take on sXe, things become much simpler if you look at the things that can affect you, your mind, and your body in similar terms. Is it bad, or is it good for you? There is rarely a middle ground as all things have multiple variables and one side almost always outweighs the other. To make things even simpler, if you truly think being straight edge is a good choice for you, look at what you put into your body in these two categories and leave it at that (if you must). For me, I see no difference between me smoking, drinking, freebasing heroin, or suicide. Any of these things are bad for me (in my view), so I don't consider any of them as a possibility. I'm being a bit extreme, but it's to drive the point home. You're generally only tempted if you believe that what you'll gain immediately is worth any resonating effects. And it is much simpler to look at these resonating effects as bad/good instead of trying to work through a Laplacian/Bayesian probability. We all know the world isn't quite black and white, but reducing some of your choices to this makes life much simpler all around.

I've been straight edge for 16 years now... since I was 14. I've never been drunk, never smoked a cigarette, and never engaged in promiscuous sex. I'm not better than anyone else. These are simply my choices and what's right for me. Choose as you will and never regret it.

S

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
I'm a person just like you
But I've got better things to do
Than sit around and fuck my head
Hang out with the living dead
Snort white shit up my nose
Pass out at the shows
I don't even think about speed
That's something I just don't need

I've got the straight edge

Sarebs

HSC
I find sometimes with the people I've encountered, people who don't smoke have a smugness towards people who do. But while they're looking down on others they're quick to forget the Big Mac they just ate, assignment they just blew off or last time they slept with someone. Being straight edged should include what you eat; in my books eating McDonalds, etc, is just as bad as drinking and smoking.

"Let he who has not sinned cast the first stone" - I think that's how it goes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)