Can you use the word "I" in an essay? (1 Viewer)

leesh95

HSC
For example If you say "I believe that through the use of this metaphor Shakespeare reveals Hamlet's inner turmoil" Would you be marked down for using it or stating your own opinion?

cheepy5

HSC
Well .... if the question asks for your opinion or i think they usually like to phrase it as 'how was you understanding of ..... shaped by .....' ect then yes

Parvee

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
HSC
You shouldn't use first person pronouns in essays

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Avoid it where possible. Just because a question asks for a personal response it doesn't mean you need to use first person.

hasdhil

HSC
i would avoid it even if the question says "Do you believe..." or "How have the technqiues used the author helped shape your understanding of the text?" and others along that line. My teacher says that you can state your personal interpretation by just simply saying what the metaphor means and justifying it well.

psychotropic

HSC
you can use the word "i" if you want to get a 12/20. btw, u can use personal pronouns if the question specifies

tattoo2200

HSC
N/A
what i usually do is say "the responder is convinced of hamlets inner turmoil through shakespeare's metaphor 'wing ding bing sao'"
Always remember to nomialise because it is an academic form of writing

Sunners

HSC
Uni Grad
It just doesn't sound academic to write in first person. But if it makes you feel better saying,' Shakespeare reveals Hamlet's inner turmoil through the use of this metaphor', is no different to saying that in first person you think that (An essay is in most cases in English a personal response, particularly in Area of Study), except it appears more academic than writing in first person.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Unless you are stating someone else's view who else's view would it be but yours?

Now I am not an English teacher but a History teacher but I always stress to my students that saying 'I believe xxxx' is superflous as the person whose beliefs it would be would be yours unless you wish to say 'according to xxxx blah blah blah but I disagree beccause yyy' there is no need to say 'I'.

Eduard_Khil

CASIO fx-82ES PLUS
HSC
N/A
I have a feeling you're one of the people that memorise essays :/ ,It really depends on the question, I've seen essay questions before that have asked for a personal response. If you're unconvinced and want statistical answers, I'd say ,generally no, the ratio of essays that ask for your own viewpoints/opinions are far less than the general essay questions. However I do point out the importance of reading a question before answering it, sometimes they'll just catch you out if you don't :p

madharris

HSC
N/A
You shouldn't use I or personal pronouns at all

If they ask, how has this shaped your understanding or something similar, you should say something like

"This has challenged the'RESPONDERS' to think about..." or something like that

Because you are still talking about yourself since you, yourself are a responder to the text

n-n

HSC
N/A
Avoid it at all costs. Even in personal opinion essays, never write in first person. You WILL get marked down for it in 99.9% of instances.
Good luck on your essay!

Elisa Sweet

HSC
The video conference I went to the other week said it was fine, so I guess yes

Focus is Key

HSC
In my essay where it asked for how my understanding has been altered I used 'I' and 'My' quite a lot. Also, the sample copy we were given of a quality response to the question used 'I' throughout. I think usually it's unacceptable but since it asks for 'your' opinion I think you definitely should.

albertcamus

HSC
Basically Module B for Adv Eng is the only Adv Eng module where it's more acceptable/desired to use first person.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)