Can't Decide On Subjects (1 Viewer)

zeroni

HSC
N/A
Hey so I am really hoping that someone can help me out because I am so freaking confused at the moment.

It's holidays right now and Year 12 starts next term for me. This year for Year 11 I did 12 units comprised of 3U Math, 3U English, Chemistry, Economics and Visual Arts.

For Year 12 I want to drop Ext 1 Math because I don't really enjoy it and I feel as if it's a subject that I'm being forced to do. I never study for it except 2-4 days prior to exam time and I've been getting pretty average and even poor results. However, I don't know whether I should drop because of three reasons:

1) I'll have 11 units which I'm not sure is "safe" or not?
2) Worried that 2U Math doesn't scale particularly well (hahaah I know they say don't worry about scaling but still).
3) I didn't exactly try for maths this year so I'm not sure if my marks this year have been a true reflection of my ability.

However, if I drop I have 1 less unit which means less work, and more time to focus on other subjects like V.A and its major work.

Please help, in desperate need of some advice :(

Makematics

HSC
I reckon drop it. Don't worry about the scaling and what not, if you dont like it youre gonna have a hellova bad time in the hsc. and there is nothing wrong with doing 11 units, in fact i would say it is the optimum number of units. Others would disagree, but i think it's a nice number of units to have. unfortunately i had to do 10 or 12 (cause of 4u maths) and decided on 10 units.

zeroni

HSC
N/A
Yeah that's true, I don't want to be stressed out next year because I don't understand 3U. I pretty much have my mind set on dropping it, but then I go to other threads and people are saying things similar to "just stick with 3U, it makes 2U maths really easy" and I just don't even know anymore ughhhhhh

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
1. tbh, 11 units is a good number to sit on because you have all these extra free periods to work on what you want to do, especially majors like VA! It's only not "safe" if you are bombing out on 2 or more units.

2. I feel your worries about scaling, but tbh, you will only get scaled up if you do well! if you bomb ext 1, you won't get scaled up. Better to ace 2u than bomb ext 1.

3. keep it for a term, work harder at it. After the first assessment, if you are really not improving, drop it.

Drop 3U if you really can't cope with it. Yes, it does clarify concepts within 2U, but it will also be taking maths to another level and if you don't feel overly confident or competent, drop it. tbh, just try doing some 3U topics in the holidays, see if your hate for it alleviates and if it does, keep it. If it doesn't, drop it.

Good luck :)

Smile12345

HSC
Agee with 'Rumbleroar...

If you feel confident with the 11 units you're doing, you'll succeed.... You will be able to put more time and effort into each subject. :D

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
A suggestion I make to all students is to try the Year 12 courses for a few weeks and see how they are shaping up. Some are very different from the Year 11 courses. You should also get some idea of your assessment requirements and then see how it all pans out.

zeroni

HSC
N/A
Cheers for the advice guys, decided to keep it for a few week or so next term and actually do my work, to see how things shape up. If I still screw it up then I'll drop. :)

koreafantasy

HSC
if you feel like ur forced into it, DONT DO IT. Fuck parental expectation. Do what YOU wanna do. trust your intuition. Scaling is bullshit. Do well in a subject, and you get good marks. Simple as that. coming in the 30th percentile for 4u maths is still as shit as 30th percentile in general. dw.
As for your VA, you picked it obviously cause you love art and expressing yourself. Work really hard on it, rape everyone elses marks with your major work and drop 3u. 11units is safe. you end up ceebsing anyway when you realise 'wtf this is pointless it aint gonna count for me anyway' and its a waste of exam and class time.

braintic

HSC
N/A
Coming in the 30th percentile for 4u maths is still as shit as 30th percentile in general.
If you care about your ATAR, that's not even close to being correct. To give a comparison, getting the 40th percentile in Ext 2 will give you the same ATAR contribution as getting the 99th percentile in General.
Of course though, if you can get in the 30th percentile for Ext 2, you will ace general.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey so I am really hoping that someone can help me out because I am so freaking confused at the moment.

It's holidays right now and Year 12 starts next term for me. This year for Year 11 I did 12 units comprised of 3U Math, 3U English, Chemistry, Economics and Visual Arts.

For Year 12 I want to drop Ext 1 Math because I don't really enjoy it and I feel as if it's a subject that I'm being forced to do. I never study for it except 2-4 days prior to exam time and I've been getting pretty average and even poor results. However, I don't know whether I should drop because of three reasons:

1) I'll have 11 units which I'm not sure is "safe" or not?
2) Worried that 2U Math doesn't scale particularly well (hahaah I know they say don't worry about scaling but still).
3) I didn't exactly try for maths this year so I'm not sure if my marks this year have been a true reflection of my ability.

However, if I drop I have 1 less unit which means less work, and more time to focus on other subjects like V.A and its major work.

Please help, in desperate need of some advice :(
Keep MX1, it will increase your proficiency in Mathematics and it's good to have a back-up in case you have a bad day in one of your other subjects, and MX1 is a good back-up considering it scales so well.

Most people that drop subjects for "extra time" usually realise they waste all of this time anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)