• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Car of the 1337s (1 Viewer)

RIZAL

HSC
re anti: hahaha........a stock MX5 trying to drift... that's awesome. I guess severe weight shift and deft use of the handbrake would be the only way to get that thing smokin.

nd: 20 y o with SLK = pimpin!!

yeah hsv's are ok. excellent brakes, don't look too bad, V8 sound etc. i'd definitely take a GTO.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Originally posted by VX1-08U
HSV - I just want one! Even without DOHC, multivalves, variable valve timing (in it's many forms, most notably VTEC) and force induction ... Holden can still hold it's own against many of the japanese cars mentioned throughout using pushrods (but then again it does have double the cylinders and almost triple the capacity of 2lt 4 cylinder jap cars)

- I like the new Honda NSX ... looks nice.
To me the Holden/Ford heavyweights are just TOO much car. The same is starting to apply to the newer Jap models (R34 Skyline for example) - you've got a monster of a machine with a monster of an engine. I like the s13s because they are small, light, and pack a decent punch (provided they had the right engine ;)) - that sort of thing is pretty nifty.

I guess I can't talk, wanting a Supra and all though....

Originally posted by Isaaq
re anti: hahaha........a stock MX5 trying to drift... that's awesome. I guess severe weight shift and deft use of the handbrake would be the only way to get that thing smokin.

Not sure if he was stock or not, he had a good try though :)

Patricio

UNSW Member
HSV - I just want one! Even without DOHC, multivalves, variable valve timing (in it's many forms, most notably VTEC) and force induction ... Holden can still hold it's own against many of the japanese cars mentioned throughout using pushrods (but then again it does have double the cylinders and almost triple the capacity of 2lt 4 cylinder jap cars)
So what if the latest Holdens can 'hold their own' againt the early 90's Japanese turbo 4's? Keep in mind that a (stock) SR20DET Silvia which was available in the early 1990s is about as fast as the latest Holden SS Commondoor (0-100 in low 6's).
And think about not only the difference in capacity between the 2, but also how much fuel the commodore would use trying to achieve that time.
Compare the Silvias performance to the SS from the same year, and you'll see how much gap there really is between the two technologies. Even the S15 Silvia does 0-100 in the mid 5's. That's enough to compete with the very best of the latest Holdens (GTO).

Originally posted by anti
To me the Holden/Ford heavyweights are just TOO much car. The same is starting to apply to the newer Jap models (R34 Skyline for example) - you've got a monster of a machine with a monster of an engine.
BUT imo the new XR6 Turbo is a great car. If you look at the APS stage kits for it, you can get a brand new 11 second car for around $50,000. That's good value! And it's also good that Ford has begun to dabble with turbo technology (eg the Turbo Focus, XR6) since Japan seems to be giving it up these days.
Even HKS have imported 10 XR6 Turbos from Australia into Japan.

VX1-08U

At the end of the day, it comes to whether you want the effortless torque of a V8 or a japanese 'techno rocket' ...

- Japanese technology with all the techno whiz bang in the 80's and 90's was light years ahead of Holden. Fuel injection not standard across the holden range until the VN, with the previous model (the VL) using a Nissan straight 6 engine - RB30DE(T) - which tells you something. Holden has been slow with the uptake of new technologies, which to a degree has limited their competiveness (as was the case with Ford until the release of the current BA series), however this should change with the next generation of engines (starting with the HFV6), assuming they keep the weight down. Nevertheless, I still have a thing for holdens and hsv's, despite their short comings ... as kindly pointed out by anti and patricio.

Only milk and juice come in 2 litres .... Jokes.

CasaNovo

HSC
N/A
Yeh pat is right and so is vx, it comes down to person preference. See i prefer v8s, but not normal v8's im talking alot of cubes. Im into muscle cars, they're tough, mean and sound crazy. eg, dodge challenger, corvette stingray, valiant/dodge charger, shelby gt500 (boss 429) etc.
These cars are well over 35years old but would ripp most cars today on the road. Most of those cars do 0-100 between 5.5-6.4seconds and the quarter mile in mid low 13's. Still utilising pushrod v8, carby, remebering these cars are over 35years old.

I have nothing agianst jap or turbo cars or any car, i drive a 1990 corolla sx (go the 4AGE)!

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
personally i don't mind having a V8, V10, V12!!
but if it doesn't have the technology to boot it, it really is a waste

something like a BMW which will squeeze every CC, every millilitre of an engine for all it's got is what makes a great car and a great engine!

check out some of the ratios of BMWs between capacity and power output and you will realise what a great brand it is :)

Patricio

UNSW Member
Only milk and juice come in 2 litres .... Jokes.
Only cheap wine comes in 5 litres ;)

Originally posted by CasaNovo
Im into muscle cars, they're tough, mean and sound crazy. eg, dodge challenger, corvette stingray, valiant/dodge charger, shelby gt500 (boss 429) etc
I think a lot of guys have a soft spot for the classics. Even today cars like Geminis and Toranas are given a 2nd life by dropping chev 350's in them and getting awesome quarters.

Originally posted by redslert
something like a BMW which will squeeze every CC, every millilitre of an engine for all it's got is what makes a great car and a great engine!
check out some of the ratios of BMWs between capacity and power output and you will realise what a great brand it is :)
I disagree. Apart from the obviously great M3, BMW's capacity doesn't normally give a good 'usable' power output. What I mean is that they make decent power for the capacity, but not decent performance (the same problem affects Honda VTECs).
I think Mercedes is light years ahead of BMW in terms of their engines - go for a ride in a new BM, and then try a new Kompressor (ie supercharged Merc, and you can't really say it's an unfair comparison cos the Merc has forced induction, because it's now standard across the whole Merc range) and you'll see :cool:

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Originally posted by Patricio
BUT imo the new XR6 Turbo is a great car. If you look at the APS stage kits for it, you can get a brand new 11 second car for around $50,000. That's good value! And it's also good that Ford has begun to dabble with turbo technology (eg the Turbo Focus, XR6) since Japan seems to be giving it up these days.
Even HKS have imported 10 XR6 Turbos from Australia into Japan.
I agree, XR6Ts are probably my favourite Ford. Ironic how they're turbocharging cars while the Japs are turning back to naturally aspirated engines!

Originally posted by redslert
personally i don't mind having a V8, V10, V12!!
but if it doesn't have the technology to boot it, it really is a waste

I'd love a dodge viper :lol:

And I know it's also an unfair comparison but I would be highlighting Porsche as an example of performance rather than BMW - although the M3 is, as Patricio said, a great car. BMW's main product line is an everyday luxury vehicle rather than a performance star.

Patricio

UNSW Member
Originally posted by anti
I agree, XR6Ts are probably my favourite Ford. Ironic how they're turbocharging cars while the Japs are turning back to naturally aspirated engines!
My favourite Ford would have to be the turbo laser/TX3s (my old avatar of the blue car w/ white wheels). Maybe cos it was the only Ford manufactured in Japan..

VX1-08U

- Classic muscle cars rock, with their big block V8's and lumpy idle ... got to love the idle.

- BMW (in particular reference to it's M division) makes great engines because of it's unlimited budget in R&D, hence the ability to squeeze out high power-to-litre ratios. This eventually will have a trickle down effect on the BMW range, sort of like rally technology in the mitsu evo's, which makes it hard for other manufacters to compare. I remember reading the new corolla makes a similar power-to-litre ratio as the M3, which is as close as it gets. In conclusion, the M3 is a great car as stated by many members ... and is on my wish list.

- Didn't the AE101 (1990 Corolla SX) put out 100kw from it's 1.6ltr 4AGE? Not too shabby...

CasaNovo

HSC
N/A
Yeh vx, 100kw from the twin cam 4age. Its a little screamer, they open up alrite after 4-5krpm.

[edit]: Mate go the lumpy cam, the idle sound is sex to the ears!

Patricio

UNSW Member
This eventually will have a trickle down effect on the BMW range, sort of like rally technology in the mitsu evo's, which makes it hard for other manufacters to compare.
Is this a joke? Non-Evo Mitsus aren't anything special. Look at the RalliArt Magna for an example. I can't see how the rally technology from the impressive evos has filtered down to the rest of the lancer (or Mitsubishi) range..

I remember reading the new corolla makes a similar power-to-litre ratio as the M3, which is as close as it gets. In conclusion, the M3 is a great car as stated by many members ... and is on my wish list.
Who cares about the Corollas power to weight ratio? It's still a slug for a car that has 141kW in a relatively light shell. The power looks good (141kW from an N/A 4), and the weight looks good, but something went wrong when it turned out high 9 0-100's and high-16 quarter mile times.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
Is this a joke? Non-Evo Mitsus aren't anything special. Look at the RalliArt Magna for an example. I can't see how the rally technology from the impressive evos has filtered down to the rest of the lancer (or Mitsubishi) range..
there are many other model mitsubitshis which we don't get in australia...it's like nissian where they don't think the australian market will support their cars and don't bring most of the good models over....leaving us with the cheap stuff
don't look at the magna POS, i have yet to see a single one of them on the road, or even in picture except for the company website

Who cares about the Corollas power to weight ratio? It's still a slug for a car that has 141kW in a relatively light shell. The power looks good (141kW from an N/A 4), and the weight looks good, but something went wrong when it turned out high 9 0-100's and high-16 quarter mile times.
the sportivo corolla was a bad idea from the start
putting a high power plant in a very limited chassie....of course they had to detune it else the car will start falling apart
FWD on a light car with power like that won't do much anyway, you'll just get yourself plenty of wheel spin and bad tyres

lengstar

HSC
best car i've driven is my toyota camry 2002
still think its the best car

RIZAL

HSC
what do you all think of the Toyota Soarer? More and more I've got a thing for these cars. The 1JZ-GTE engine is flexible, torquey and has great scope for modifications (200-240 rwkw is easy). What else? Luxury interiors, people think it's a Lexus and it can be had for less than 15 grand.

I might be moving on from S13s....or maybe I'm getting old :D

VX1-08U

- Non-evo mitsubishi's such as the lancer are not meant to be anything special (despite some people thinking they are with droid kits, clear lights are the back and Ralli Art stickers), and are made with a function and price in mind (in this case, a small economical car). Rally technology has not filtered down to the lancer, because it function is not a sports car, hence they have the evo to statisfy this need. The Ralli Art Magna was not a serious attempt in producing a sports car, just a attempt to cash in using the Ralli Art trademark.

- As for the Corolla, I believe it does mid-high 8's for 0-100, and not high 9's ... however this depends on a number of variables such as driver skill, air temperature etc, so both figures are a possibility. What went wrong with the corolla is that it needs to be revved high in order to reach it's potential (over 6000rpm), with poor low-end and mid-range power.

- 4AGE and 4AGZE are great engines. (And) to think how the current generation VVTi Corolla's only produces 100kw, which was achieved over 15 years ago with latter versions of the 4AGE (with 200cc less).

ND

HSC
Originally posted by Isaaq
what do you all think of the Toyota Soarer? More and more I've got a thing for these cars. The 1JZ-GTE engine is flexible, torquey and has great scope for modifications (200-240 rwkw is easy). What else? Luxury interiors, people think it's a Lexus and it can be had for less than 15 grand.

I might be moving on from S13s....or maybe I'm getting old :D
No, don't! Even my CA turbo can beat their twin turbo. :p

VX1-08U

I had a test drive of the 2.4 ltr VVTi Toyota Camry ... not a bad car engine wise, however I don't really like the interior, looks plain. Seems to be a trend with all new cars. Also the camry is not a car people really get attached to, however I must say toyota's are reliable.

Toyota Soarers are alright ... good crusier.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)