• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Car of the 1337s (1 Viewer)

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Originally posted by Isaaq
what do you all think of the Toyota Soarer? More and more I've got a thing for these cars. The 1JZ-GTE engine is flexible, torquey and has great scope for modifications (200-240 rwkw is easy). What else? Luxury interiors, people think it's a Lexus and it can be had for less than 15 grand.

I might be moving on from S13s....or maybe I'm getting old :D

Nice car - if you can find a manual. The 1JZ is in my top 10 list of engines.. :D A friend has a converted manual with a t78 - which is great in theory but it's useless until it hits high speeds. It'll be interesting to see what times he can get on the drag though.

It's more of a cruiser IMO, even the TT version. If I had one I'd be dumping it, sticking big rims on it, turning up the music and being 'fully sick'. :)

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Originally posted by VX1-08U
- Non-evo mitsubishi's such as the lancer are not meant to be anything special (despite some people thinking they are with droid kits, clear lights are the back and Ralli Art stickers), and are made with a function and price in mind (in this case, a small economical car). Rally technology has not filtered down to the lancer, because it function is not a sports car, hence they have the evo to statisfy this need. The Ralli Art Magna was not a serious attempt in producing a sports car, just a attempt to cash in using the Ralli Art trademark.

The whole idea of high technology and good power-to-weight ratios etc filtering down the range is limited to the ability of a car manufacturer being able to reproduce those figures CHEAPLY, meeting all sorts of laws particularly in America and Japan... in other words, why should they bother pumping out huge power when they can make something more practical and less powerful for a cheaper price?

As VX1 said it's more about something practical and cost-efficient. I guess you may see the effect of rally/race technology on such things as (true) sport models or the absolute elite of each class but I can't see them giving your everyday Lancer anything special :D

RIZAL

HSC
yeah.......with soarers it comes down to one thing: they are FAT ASSED. They weigh almost as much as a freakin Commodore for crying out loud. But that 1JZ engine is a gem. I'd love to sit in a t78 equiped manual soarer...... whoooooooooooOOSHhhhhh........or what about T88? :) :)

what do you guys think of the Accord Euro? 6 speed, revvy V-TEC engine, pimpin interior and handsome styling....i love those things..... would go well as a daily driver I think.

Lancers are mad....especially the 1.5L auto ones with neons and a droid kit....and stock rims....fooli sick moit.

Patricio

UNSW Member
Originally posted by redslert
FWD on a light car with power like that won't do much anyway, you'll just get yourself plenty of wheel spin and bad tyres
I disagree. Don't forget that of all the platforms, FWD gets the least drivetrain loss (ie the most power to the wheels), if a FWD/4WD/RWD has the same engine.
One example is when ppl put the TX3 turbo engine in their normal FWD lasers, and instantly are in the 14s brackets. Pretty good for a FWD.
Another example is the Integra Type R - a FWD car which handles great around the track. Don't think that just because a car has decent power, and is FWD, that it won't cope.

what do you all think of the Toyota Soarer? More and more I've got a thing for these cars. The 1JZ-GTE engine is flexible, torquey and has great scope for modifications (200-240 rwkw is easy). What else? Luxury interiors, people think it's a Lexus and it can be had for less than 15 grand.
Firstly, the engines aren't that torquey I've found. They are TT, but the turbos aren't sequential, so I found them to be pretty sluggish. Also, Soarers handle like crap (also the bane of the 300ZX).
The best luxury features are only available on the Lexus V8 (not the TT Soarer).
Imo, if your priorities are performance (you were talking about modification possibilities for the Soarer) or handling, convert your car to SR20DET and you'll never look back. There's no way you can compare a land yacht with a good engine (Soarer) to a real go-fast car that handles well too (S13 SR20DET).
If your priority is comfort/luxury, go for the Soarer (or preferably the V8 SC400, even though it's performance is rubbish, the features are so much better than the Soarer's).

Patricio

UNSW Member
yeah.......with soarers it comes down to one thing: they are FAT ASSED. They weigh almost as much as a freakin Commodore for crying out loud. But that 1JZ engine is a gem. I'd love to sit in a t78 equiped manual soarer...... whoooooooooooOOSHhhhhh........or what about T88? :) :)
What do you mean 'almost as heavy as a Commodore'? They are heavier than most Commodores produced. The Soarers need the IJZ to get the barge moving (same with Commodores and their V8s).

what do you guys think of the Accord Euro? 6 speed, revvy V-TEC engine, pimpin interior and handsome styling....i love those things..... would go well as a daily driver I think.
It'd be an excellent daily driver, with Honda reliability - for a FAMILY!
Don't get it for the VTEC, sure they rev high, but they take forever to get to the high revs, and when the VTEC kicks in, it's nothing compared to boost. Point? VTECs are slow.
Out of the Soarer/Euro - get the Soarer! Although it's older, it's faster and more "pimpin"/classy (remember that the Euros a Honda family car with a bit of sass!).

Patricio

UNSW Member
Lancers are mad....especially the 1.5L auto ones with neons and a droid kit....and stock rims....fooli sick moit.
omg bro u forgot the monster tacho on the auto that makes it phat!!

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC

Oh yeah, I was reading about the Accord Euro... a decent Honda? Hmm. I wouldn't mind driving a DC2R, actually.. I've never driven a honda.

It depends what you want a car for as to whether you'd get a soarer or an accord? They're very different cars after all...

RIZAL

HSC
yeah well i'm not actually thinking of buying any of these cars (no $$$$)..... I just appreciate them for their various merits.

anti: i've driven a DC2R and the best thing about them is THAT gearbox. I just want to rip it out and bolt it into the s13. slick shifting with minimal play.......direct, short and hammerable. Provides a direct link between the driver and the synchros.
And the guy that owned it said that the S2000 has a better shifter!

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
my dream is oh-so-definitely the M3. :)

do you guys go cruising/to runs/wsid now that you're (presumably) on holidays? or are you all in yr12?

ND

HSC
yeah well i'm not actually thinking of buying any of these cars (no $$$$)..... I just appreciate them for their various merits.
Just wait 4 years 'till you're an FIAA, then you'll have enough to buy all of these cars. :D

First thing i'm doing when (if) i get my FIAA is getting a loan for a Porsche 996.

Patricio

UNSW Member
Originally posted by anti
do you guys go cruising/to runs/wsid now that you're (presumably) on holidays?
yeh, all of the above (mainly in the city + western Sydney, and a few other areas for the runs) except what is wsid? western sydney international dragstrip?

My dream car to own is probably a black Audi TT Quattro at the moment. I'm allowed to drive/run/cruise an Audi TT Quattro, but I wish I owned it myself :(

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Originally posted by Patricio
yeh, all of the above (mainly in the city + western Sydney, and a few other areas for the runs) except what is wsid? western sydney international dragstrip?

My dream car to own is probably a black Audi TT Quattro at the moment. I'm allowed to drive/run/cruise an Audi TT Quattro, but I wish I owned it myself :(

ahh ok. i'm sooo not a fan of the city... there's nothing to do, nowhere to park etc. we usually end up at the rocks 'cause at least there's pancakes if we get hungry! or harry's..

yeah, wsid is the new dragstrip out at eastern creek. it's pretty good, they've done a good job :) you can actually see the whole dragstrip from anywhere on the grandstand! well worth going to at least once just to see what it's like, imo.

at least you have an affordable dream car, I guess :)

Patricio

UNSW Member
Originally posted by ND
Just wait 4 years 'till you're an FIAA, then you'll have enough to buy all of these cars. :D
First thing i'm doing when (if) i get my FIAA is getting a loan for a Porsche 996.
What is an FIAA? Something to do with Actuarial?

ahh ok. i'm sooo not a fan of the city... there's nothing to do, nowhere to park etc. we usually end up at the rocks 'cause at least there's pancakes if we get hungry! or harry's..
Nowhere to park!!? I've never failed to get a spot. But the city is usually where everyone meets up first, and then the majority head to the runs. The cars are amazing. If anyone wants to know where it is, PM me, but I thought ppl would be able to figure it out (also there's so much parking it's not funny).

yeah, wsid is the new dragstrip out at eastern creek. it's pretty good, they've done a good job :) you can actually see the whole dragstrip from anywhere on the grandstand! well worth going to at least once just to see what it's like, imo.
Have you been yet? I want to go to one of those Wednesday night ones, but I haven't had a chance yet. Is it just a quarter mile strip or is there anything more to it?

at least you have an affordable dream car, I guess :)
I did say Quattro.. they're not cheap!

ND

HSC
What is an FIAA? Something to do with Actuarial?
Yep, it stands for Fellow [of] Institute [of] Actuaries Australia, or something to that effect. Basically it means you get international recognition (and hence a shitload of $$).

Yeh, i saw one that was N/A and does 0-100 in 4.7. The RRP was 99K Euro (about 173K AUD).

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
the audi TT isn't that bad
except i hate the look of the car!
looks really really ghey

it's more like a girlie car

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Nowhere to park!!? I've never failed to get a spot. But the city is usually where everyone meets up first, and then the majority head to the runs. The cars are amazing. If anyone wants to know where it is, PM me, but I thought ppl would be able to figure it out (also there's so much parking it's not funny).
Well, depends what day you go in. Friday/Saturday pretty much guarantees there will be no parking on George St and only on side streets if you're lucky. Right down the end of the Rocks there usually is parking.. but who wants to park so far from pancakes? :(

umm. yeah. we don't meet in the city to go for runs because even with CBs people get lost. i guess where you go for runs depends on what cars you want to see. :)

Have you been yet? I want to go to one of those Wednesday night ones, but I haven't had a chance yet. Is it just a quarter mile strip or is there anything more to it?
Yeah, I went to one of the street meets on Wednesday nights. If you've been to EC there's a pretty big difference in that it's tailor made for drags... there's a burnout pad so two cars can do their burnouts before the previous run has finished, for example. Just the quarter mile though, since it's only a drag strip. I hear there was a show'n'shine at Drag Combat the weekend just gone, though I don't know where they held that.

Parking is a lot easier than at EC (there's actual parking, but not much of it - it's more corporate) but there was an awful queue to get out...

Cheaper than some kind of supercar, I meant! :) I was watching NASCAR today, what sort of cars are they?

Patricio

UNSW Member
Originally posted by ND
Yep, it stands for Fellow [of] Institute [of] Actuaries Australia, or something to that effect. Basically it means you get international recognition (and hence a shitload of $$).
As if you need international recognition to make stacks as an actuary :p

Originally posted by ND
Yeh, i saw one that was N/A and does 0-100 in 4.7. The RRP was 99K Euro (about 173K AUD).
Yeh.. well the Audi TT Quattro is AWD Turbo. So it's pretty quick ;)

Originally posted by redslert
the audi TT isn't that bad
except i hate the look of the car!
looks really really ghey
it's more like a girlie car
in some colours I can kinda see your point. But in Black or silver I think they look hot, definitely not a girly car! Don't make me get out the pics again :angry:

Yeah, I went to one of the street meets on Wednesday nights. If you've been to EC there's a pretty big difference in that it's tailor made for drags...
Ah ok I wanna go now, sounds good. What cars mainly drag? Or is it really varied..?

Cheaper than some kind of supercar, I meant! I was watching NASCAR today, what sort of cars are they?
American muscle.. they're all custom Dodges, Fords or Chevs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)