• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Car of the 1337s (2 Viewers)

CasaNovo

HSC
N/A
VX, american muscle cars mostly use autos, cause the engines so big theres hardly any room to fit a box with heaps of gears, also auto box's tend to take more power than manuals before breaking.

oh i get ya pat, although what your sying isn't impossible i've seen it happen a few times, but not to that extent. so yeh its bs, but aesthetic bs. :D

VX1-08U

Originally posted by CasaNovo
VX, american muscle cars mostly use autos, cause the engines so big theres hardly any room to fit a box with heaps of gears, also auto box's tend to take more power than manuals before breaking.

Makes sense.

m3h_m3h

HSC
Originally posted by Patricio

I hate to break it to you man, but check the latest autosalon magazine. They have a review on drags etc, and it quotes the fastest FWD in Australia as being Veselinovic's record of 9.68@150mph. Your mate better match this guy before he goes for fastest FWD in the world ;) It has more details in the mag on Veselinovic, and there's some more on his CRX from his previous drag times (which were still in the 9's - dunno why you thought the guy you knew had the fastest one) here: http://www.jamboree.com.au/BNEJAM/BrisbaneDragRacing.htm.
FWD N/A (Naturally Aspirated = No Turbo :D). its the only car in the FWD Top 10 thats N/A :p.
as for fastest FWD in general, i believe thats the Online CRX :D

m3h_m3h

HSC
as for Civic Type R's... pity we dont get them in australia. theres only a handful of imported EK9's in aus, most of them r just rebuilds, but theres a few which r genuine EK9's.
heres a site with some info and comparison between Civic Vti-R and Civic Type R's. http://www.quantum.net.au/ablew/Civic.htm

i'd love to see a Prelude Type-S or a Accord Euro-R in aus :D... P.I.M.P :D.

hehe.

Patricio

UNSW Member
but then where would they fit the torque converter etc? I thought an auto would take up more room, and in general, an auto car will weigh around 30 kg more than a manual car.

oh i get ya pat, although what your sying isn't impossible i've seen it happen a few times, but not to that extent. so yeh its bs, but aesthetic bs. :D
haha fair enough!

Originally posted by m3h_m3h
FWD N/A (Naturally Aspirated = No Turbo :D). its the only car in the FWD Top 10 thats N/A :p.
as for fastest FWD in general, i believe thats the Online CRX :D
Ah I missed the N/A part! ;)
Is Veselinovic the driver of the online CRX? If not, I don't think the online would the the quickest. I heard the online CRX was, but that was ages ago, and this time that Vese ran (quickest FWD time ever in Aus) was 3 weeks ago..

as for Civic Type R's... pity we dont get them in australia. theres only a handful of imported EK9's in aus, most of them r just rebuilds, but theres a few which r genuine EK9's.
heres a site with some info and comparison between Civic Vti-R and Civic Type R's. http://www.quantum.net.au/ablew/Civic.htm
Originally posted by Asquithian
bah....they dont have torque these high revving hondas
Haha sorry but Asquithian's right on the money here, I just checked the power (118kW is very good for a 1.6 N/A), but then the torque - it's laughable! 148Nm@7000rpm. Firstly, even those old rusty "bubble-like" 80's lasers/323s you may have seen around make more torque (and yes they are 1.6L also, but minus the variable valve timing of the Honda, and are only SOHC whereas the Honda is DOHC, and still make more :eek: ). Secondly, 7000rpm? I knew VTEC 'kicked in' late, but do you have to take it to redline everytime to get decent torque?

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
My guess on american muscle cars was that they, uh, prefer driving in straight lines, making autos more practical

I'm trying not to US-bash, I really am.

CasaNovo

HSC
N/A
Yeh theyre around 20kg's heavier.
But the design of the bell housing for the auto is smaller (less gears, shorter), thats why muscle cars are mostly 4 speeders. And because the engine is North, South, the box is placed at the end of the engine, and therefore can't be too long/big, cause then everything would be off, and then you would have big problems.
Well basically, your torque converter is your alternative to a clutch, bolts on to the flywheel.
there are many factors, engine size, construction, position, uses etc.
Yes anti, thats a good point, and cause the car operates in its optimal driving peak& auto's can take more of a thrashing before dying.

Patricio

UNSW Member
Yeh theyre around 20kg's heavier.
But the design of the bell housing for the auto is smaller (less gears, shorter), thats why muscle cars are mostly 4 speeders. And because the engine is North, South, the box is placed at the end of the engine, and therefore can't be too long/big, cause then everything would be off, and then you would have big problems.
Well basically, your torque converter is your alternative to a clutch, bolts on to the flywheel.
there are many factors, engine size, construction, position, uses etc.
wow thanks for the good info. I'm finding electronic 4-speed autos very difficult to work with (in terms of fitting an engine that was only suited to manual) into one.. but then again, electronic autos are another story to your basic 3 speed non-electronic.

Originally posted by Asquithian
a car needs at least 250nm of torque

i mean ive never really driven anything other than commodore...
with 300nm
no. Only land yachts/barges need "at least 250nm of torque" (eg commonwhores etc). In a much lighter car, you can have a lot less than 250 and be way quicker than a commondoor. It's just in the Civic VTiR, imo, it's not light enough to justify such low torque..

VX1-08U

Put a VX/VY Ecotec V6 engine in a VP or VR shell and I like to see these so-called lighter cars come close - 152kw/305nm of torque in a 1368kg body. It's all about power-to-weight, obviously those cars who are lighter and put out a decent amount of power for their engine size will go better. In all fairness, the commodore is built for crusing ... not as a performance car.

Patricio

UNSW Member
Originally posted by VX1-08U
Put a VX/VY Ecotec V6 engine in a VP or VR shell and I like to see these so-called lighter cars come close - 152kw/305nm of torque in a 1368kg body. It's all about power-to-weight, obviously those cars who are lighter and put out a decent amount of power for their engine size will go better. In all fairness, the commodore is built for crusing ... not as a performance car.
Yeh, but that's just like saying put a chev 350 in a gemini and looking at the performance then, isn't it?

VX1-08U

Yeh, but that's just like saying put a chev 350 in a gemini and looking at the performance then, isn't it?
I prefer 350 chevs or even old holden 308's in old corollas myself. Gemini's don't do it for me.

Patricio

UNSW Member
I prefer 350 chevs or even old holden 308's in old corollas myself. Gemini's don't do it for me.
none of the above do it for me cos I prefer a car that does more than just go fast in a straight line.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
agreed, patricio :) it'd be nice to have a drag car to work on on weekends though.. something unroadworthy just to drag :) and then i can satisfy my bogan desires.

i prefer something with more handling! :D

m3h_m3h

HSC
none of the above do it for me cos I prefer a car that does more than just go fast in a straight line.
damn straight :D

and yeh, honda's lack the torque...

Patricio

UNSW Member
Originally posted by anti
agreed, patricio :) it'd be nice to have a drag car to work on on weekends though.. something unroadworthy just to drag :) and then i can satisfy my bogan desires.

i prefer something with more handling! :D
Bogan desires!!!! New terms huh? Sounds like an advertising slogan for Holdens huh? "HSV: For all your bogan desires" j/k VX ;)

damn straight :D

and yeh, honda's lack the torque...
but I'd never deny that Type-Rs would own most cars around a track though..

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Bogan desires!!!! New terms huh? Sounds like an advertising slogan for Holdens huh? "HSV: For all your bogan desires" j/k VX ;)
:lol: sounds like that new Volvo campaign (bloodyvolvodrivers.com)! ;)

VX1-08U

Get holden to throw in a case of VB and it will be all sweet :) None of this bonus golf club pack ...

Patricio

UNSW Member
Get holden to throw in a case of VB and it will be all sweet :) None of this bonus golf club pack ...
You forgot the flannelette shirt!

bonus golf clubs? I like the sound of that!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)