• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Catholic Church and HIV/AIDS in Africa. (2 Viewers)

Lentern

HSC
Iron I am a little concerned about the way you say "us catholics". You don't surely pretend to represent the mainstream catholic do you?

X

xeuyrawp

Iron I am a little concerned about the way you say "us catholics". You don't surely pretend to represent the mainstream catholic do you?
No he doesn't, to be honest. He's pretty intelligent and knows how to hold a discussion.

As an aside, I was kinda hoping that Ewan was going to pull out his lightsaber in Angels and Demons in response to Ratzinger lightninging someone

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
...there's no such thing as 'mainstream Catholic', Lentern.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Youre either Catholic or youre not, k? You seem to have trouble with this concept. You can be a sinner, sure, but you must attend confession and submit to Church authority if you wish to continue calling yourself one of us.

Lentern

HSC
Youre either Catholic or youre not, k? You seem to have trouble with this concept. You can be a sinner, sure, but you must attend confession and submit to Church authority if you wish to continue calling yourself one of us.
You see comrade here is my problem. In that little registration form you've just drawn up I don't see anything about God, Christ, the holy spirit, love, forgiveness or any of those things that comrade Jesus Christ spoke about. So the question is does being a catholic mean you are first a servant of God and second a servant of Rome or are you first a servant or Rome and second a servant of God? What were the chaps who agreed with Galileo supposed to do in order to be a good catholic I wonder Iron? Pray tell spread the wisdom because its something I've really been racking my brains over. Also a friend of mine is finding some trouble accepting the whole "easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of god" thing, any advice for my capitalist friend? And perhaps the prime ministers wife?

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
Yes, fight for your right :headbang:

Last edited:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
You see comrade here is my problem. In that little registration form you've just drawn up I don't see anything about God, Christ, the holy spirit, love, forgiveness or any of those things that comrade Jesus Christ spoke about. So the question is does being a catholic mean you are first a servant of God and second a servant of Rome or are you first a servant or Rome and second a servant of God? What were the chaps who agreed with Galileo supposed to do in order to be a good catholic I wonder Iron? Pray tell spread the wisdom because its something I've really been racking my brains over. Also a friend of mine is finding some trouble accepting the whole "easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of god" thing, any advice for my capitalist friend? And perhaps the prime ministers wife?
First, let me be clear that I have no personal interest in you remaining a Catholic. These attention-seeking challenges dont fire me with anything, k bro? Also if you knew the faith that you claim to be a member of, you'd know that reconciliation is a big part of it and is sourced from Christ's own words to His disciples. Further to that, the Church is the body of Christ on earth. There is no conflict.

I dont feel like addressing your point on 'capitalism' beyond referring you to the commandment to not steal. This presupposes private property.

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC
You keep fighting, my Catholic comrade.
Not that I'm Catholic.
Or that you're my comrade.
Keep fighting.

First, let me be clear that I have no personal interest in you remaining a Catholic. These attention-seeking challenges dont fire me with anything, k bro? Also if you knew the faith that you claim to be a member of, you'd know that reconciliation is a big part of it and is sourced from Christ's own words to His disciples. Further to that, the Church is the body of Christ on earth. There is no conflict.

I dont feel like addressing your point on 'capitalism' beyond referring you to the commandment to not steal. This presupposes private property.
What about that Galileo? Do you believe that people who, against the Church's teaching, believed that the earth revolved around the sun (crazy as that idea may be) could still be considered Catholic? As far as I know, people are flawed while this God you speak of is just fine and dandy. How does this translate to complete faith in everything that the Church, which is in itself just a body of people, says.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
That was an unfortuante incident which the Church has apologised for. Galileo was a Catholic who sought truth through reason and this quest has a very comfortable place in our faith. No such conflict would occur today

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC
That was an unfortuante incident which the Church has apologised for. Galileo was a Catholic who sought truth through reason and this quest has a very comfortable place in our faith. No such conflict would occur today
But isn't the Pope infallible? So Pope's word = God's word? Does this mean that God was *gasp* wrong?

EDIT: How can you know that no such conflict would occur today? Surely they would have said that in Galileo's time as well?

Last edited:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
But isn't the Pope infallible? So Pope's word = God's word? Does this mean that God was *gasp* wrong?

EDIT: How can you know that no such conflict would occur today? Surely they would have said that in Galileo's time as well?
It is my understanding that Pope Urban was sympathetic to Galileo, but was pressured by the clergy to denounce him. Papal infalliability is difficult and by no means settled. The reality is that Popes make major decisions based on heavy consultation with the rest of the Church hierarchy.

Galileo was good because it sparked a very profitable debate about the relationship of faith to reason. This debate retains vitality today

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
See Acts 4:32-35. It reads like a basic handbook for the establishment of a Christian communist state.

X

xeuyrawp

See Acts 4:32-35. It reads like a basic handbook for the establishment of a Christian communist state.
Yes but that's a descriptive claim, ie 'Jesus and his followers shared everything', not a normative claim, which would be 'you should share everything like Jesus did.'

HSC
tbh, I dont think the church should be blamed for the current HIV/AIDS issue in Africa.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)