• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Catholic Church and HIV/AIDS in Africa. (2 Viewers)

HSC
I love how Iron tries to criticise secular humanist types for being greedy and arrogant, while assuming the position of all-knowing and unquestionable arbiter of truth.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
The Roman Catholic Church is the True bride of Christ :eek:
Really? Dan Brown said it was Mary Magdalene, not the Vatican. Dan Brown is never wrong.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I merely express a healthy anger towards swine and satan. I am more than open to sharing with gentle and soft lambs like yourself SP

HSC
But sharing is a reciprocal process.

Our conversations follow the following formula:

-SP "Reasonable statement"
-Iron "Poetry"
-Iron "Quote from the bible, vague references to postmodernism, and a flute"
-Iron "Oh well I suppose you are going to hell then"

You never take on board anything that I say :(

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Of course, I dont know what youre taking about. You cant expect me to have the same degree of doubt over questions of faith that you have. I'm being a rock for you.
Cling on or forever be set adrift at sea :eek:

Lentern

HSC
Illiterate garble.

Youre a peasant.
Do not keep talking so proudly
or let your mouth speak such arrogance,
for the LORD is a God who knows,
and by him deeds are weighed.

Samuel 2:3
(Samuel is one of the books in the bible, you might have heard of it.)

HSC
Of course, I dont know what youre taking about. You cant expect me to have the same degree of doubt over questions of faith that you have. I'm being a rock for you.
Cling on or forever be set adrift at sea :eek:
Yes exactly. You share your profound insights with the forum, without ever changing your own views in light of what people argue.

The height of arrogance.

Jesus was a humble man imo.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Yes exactly. You share your profound insights with the forum, without ever changing your own views in light of what people argue.

The height of arrogance.

Jesus was a humble man imo.
I need more specific examples :confused:
I might change my mind privately and alert that member through the rep system? This is none of your business.
But how can you expect me to compromise my faith? It is absolute Truth; there is little negotiatin to be had. On bos, when people argue about what they think the Catholic church is about, they are basically always wrong.
Fact.
Science.

I am here to guard the lambs who are open to Truth from these wolves, in whatever variably effective way I can.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
hey guys what did i miss
somebody summarise lenterns last 3 days of posts, so that i dont have to kill myself

Lentern

HSC
hey guys what did i miss
somebody summarise lenterns last 3 days of posts, so that i dont have to kill myself
Well Arnold Schwarzeneger got a doctorate so you should expect one any day now.

Last edited:

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
hey guys what did i miss

It's the stupid africans' fault for not listening to the church. Nevermind the fact that aside from the aids problem there is a massive fucking overpopulation problem in africa, i think condoms are evil and believe i shouldn't have to pay so other people can sin :evilfire::evilfire::evilfire:

Lentern

HSC
The other thing that happened was Sylvester discovering how to enlarge text.

HSC
deep down, does anyone give a flying fuck about some negros on the other side of the planet fucking each other to death? tbh, I dont.

Last edited:

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC
Youve got to work on your face
I take back everything I said about you. You are God.

But sharing is a reciprocal process.

Our conversations follow the following formula:

-Iron "Poetry"
-Iron "Quote from the bible, vague references to postmodernism, and a flute"
-Iron "Oh well I suppose you are going to hell then"

You never take on board anything that I say :(
And a flute?

You two should go see a marriage councellor.

The other thing that happened was Sylvester discovering how to enlarge text.
He's known how to do that for a while.

deep down, does anyone give a flying fuck about some negros on the other side of the planet fucking each other to death? tbh, I dont.
If you don't care, don't post. We all care about it.
Deep down, do you care about anyone but yourself? I don't think you'll have to dig all that deep to find the answer.

Last edited:

rochelleee

HSC
Sounds like your a troll with an ego as big as your post count, go post your immature comments in some other thread.

I'm actually asking this question because I've been having an argument with another member of this forum at school and now i want to get other people's opinions. After doing some research on the topic, I for one, do not believe the Catholic Church can be held accountable for a number of reasons.

The reason why people are pointing fingers at the Catholic Church for the spread of aids in Africa lies primarily in the fact the Catholic Church teaches that birth control is a sin. On the outside this may appear to be a just and valid argument. However, there are many holes in this argument.

Firstly, if people are so willingly able to obey the church's teaching on birth control, you would expect them to follow the more important teachings about relationships and sex. One thing that is common amongst almost all christian denominations and appears on the 10 commandments is that sexual relations are to only be undertaken once married with fidelity to one partner. So how can the Catholic Church be blamed when in reality people are not following its teachings anyway. They are prepared to follow the church's rules on birth control but still commit the unfaithful act of adultery.

Furthermore, by looking at the "The White House Initiative to Combat AIDS: Learning from Uganda" we are able to see that condoms are not a key contributor to reducing the spread of aids anyway:

• High-risk sexual behaviors can be discouraged and replaced by healthier lifestyles.
  • Abstinence and marital fidelity appear to be the most important factors in preventing the spread of HIV/AIDS.
  • Condoms do not play the primary role in reducing HIV/AIDS transmission.
  • Religious organizations are crucial participants in the fight against AIDS
So, in my opinion it is not entirely valid to argue that the Catholic Church can be held accountable for the magnitude of HIV/AIDS. I do acknowledge that it may play a small part in influencing the decision making of some individuals. However, I still believe its the individual who makes the final decision and puts him/herself at greater risk by not abstaining from sex before marriage and committing sexual acts with more then one partner.
very valid.

rochelleee

HSC
-Studies in Thailand and other South-East Asian countries, where condom use has been heavily encouraged to reduce the spread of HIV/AIDS, would disagree with whatever pseudo-interpretation entailed in your "White House report".
Wrong. Where's your reference? Philippines is classified as a South-East Asian country, and just so happens to be a very conservative Roman Catholic country. Yet "Public health officials say they are stumped by a paradox in the Philippines, where a very low rate of condom use and a very low rate of H.I.V. infection seem to be going hand in hand." (Low Rate Of AIDS Virus In Philippines Is a Puzzle - The New York Times)

So I gotta agree with kalamari's theory and add that AIDS would not be so out of hand, if people were actually following the Catholic Church's teachings and abstaining in the first place..

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
So I gotta agree with kalamari's theory and add that AIDS would not be so out of hand, if people were actually following the Catholic Church's teachings and abstaining in the first place..
You sir, are and idiot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)