CityRail - still training Sydney? (1 Viewer)

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
Tulipa said:
Serious? Intercity or the old carriages?

They don't use them in peak hour or midday. Late night trains?
If I'm going from uni to Sydney (which is 35 minutes less than my normal trip to Sydney), at least one time out of ten there's an old suburban train taking us up to Sydney.

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
I was on a non-airconditioned train from Strathfield to Hornsby then Hornsby to Gordon on last years New Years Day. Yes, that one which was the hottest New Years day on record. 43 degree heat :( And then we had to stop for 20minutes because of some train problem further ahead.
I guess that's the only other major problem I've had, other days would have been fine but it was just so hot

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Actually I prefer my trains to be non-airconditioned, because those trains are ridiculously cold and I much prefer being uncomfortably warm to uncomfortably cold.

The following is a bit of a rant based mostly on the retards who sms Mx with their stupid Cityrail problems.

Cityrail isn't that bad. People complain about how crowded peak-hour trains are, but if there were perfectly functional carriages lying around, they'd be used. They can't just introduce more services, because there's a limited amount of space on the train lines as it is (should be more when clearways is finished). Adding trains during peak hour would mean a complete overhaul, as all the trains need to be synchronised (so they don't smash into each other when crossing lines etc).

Cityrail should not run an express from the city to your station, just for your convenience.

If it's so damn hot, bring a bottle of water. Eat an icypole. In fact, the oldest carriages are the ones that hold the most passengers. Generally, they're not air conditioned. SO you can choose between air conditioning in a crowded train, or no air conditioning on a train with greater capacity.

If your train ride is an hour long, pee before you go. If you have an old or pregnant-style bladder, and can't hold it for the short time it would take for the train to reach a station with a toilet, wear a diaper.

If someone touches your ass on the train, smack them upside the head.

Trains aren't usually more than 5 or 10 minutes late. Big deal. Would you like Cityrail to run services on lines with faulty signals? Is it better to be late, or to have two peak-hour trains collide? Or a train derail because the driver was speeding to meet on-time standards? It's happened before.

They're in the middle of fixing things (hence constant trackwork). It's going to get better, but not overnight.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
in response to scarybunny

1) thank the bloody lord you're not a politician and you're not running the cityrail

2) if you're cold, put some clothes on. if the heat problem can be simply solved by 'bring a bottle of water. Eat an icypole', then people wouldn't have invented air cons.

3) if the schedule the drivers have to meet is so demanding that the driver must speed to get there on time, why have such a timetable in the first place? to keep the commuters happy for a while, only to be more disappointed because the promised train is late?

4) clearly you have not caught a train jam packed with people trying to get on, to the point where the guard had to get people off to catch the next one.

5) 'If someone touches your ass on the train, smack them upside the head.' how many people have you smacked and let you be?

so next time, think before you type.

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
If they want to improve services they should cut the 1/3 of full time paid drivers that work two days a week.
Oh no, wait, they can't. It would go against the union and we would have a strike.

Fuck the unions. Job security shouldn't be a given.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
wuddie said:
1) thank the bloody lord you're not a politician and you're not running the cityrail
I think she has some fantastic ideas myself.

2) if you're cold, put some clothes on. if the heat problem can be simply solved by 'bring a bottle of water. Eat an icypole', then people wouldn't have invented air cons.
hmmm, aircon uses a lot more power than a bottle of water. if only people were a little more, you know, open to actually taking some action instead of expecting a machine to do it for them. and these reports of trains being sweatboxes are bullshit to the max. it's public transport...no-one expects it to be a luxury coach. it gets you from a to b, and personally, i'd much rather see that money put into clearways and maybe a line extension or two then keeping fucking douchebags like yourself cool because you can't think to keep yourself cool in...you know, conventional ways.

3) if the schedule the drivers have to meet is so demanding that the driver must speed to get there on time, why have such a timetable in the first place? to keep the commuters happy for a while, only to be more disappointed because the promised train is late?
I don't really class a train that's 2 minutes late as really being that late. Honestly, it's not that much of a big deal. Adding to that, is the fact that no trains speed, so die.

4) clearly you have not caught a train jam packed with people trying to get on, to the point where the guard had to get people off to catch the next one.
That happens, but mostly because retarded douchebags hog the carriages right next to the stations. seriously, people at central had to be some of the most god damn retarded people to walk this earth. the places at the end of the station platforms are the most crowded, SO WALK FURTHER ALONG THE PLATFORM. If you're catching a train everyday then work out which ones are the least crowded. Don't expect other people to do it for you, and save yourself the anger. If you don't want to be ushered out of the vestibule then stand upstairs or downstairs, as there's a tonne more room. Sit on the seats in the middle between two passengers, explore the remaining seats after EVERY stop. Jesus Christ, there's a thousand possibilities to prevent fucking retarded complaints like this entering the forum.

5) 'If someone touches your ass on the train, smack them upside the head.' how many people have you smacked and let you be?
*shakes head* You missed the point, which you have a fantastic habit of doing. I think that more or less, the original comment was just a conclusion, summing up the major point of the post which seemed to be to use common sense and logical thinking. You took it literally. Good job.

But seriously, just move away if someone is touching you. I mean, if you're that uptight where you get pissed off because someone accidently brushes against you, go sit on a motorway. If not, move into another carriage, jump carriages at the next station, if you're with friends then swap places. I've done all three, so go to hell.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Fixing Cityrail isn't as easy as waving a magic wand, or clicking your heels together and saying "there's no place like a clean, efficient, on-time train service that always has a spare seat". Yes, there are problems, but they're not as big as people make them out to be. Cityrail can't just fix the system instantly, it's a work in progress.

I do bring a jacket, even on the hottest of days, to avoid getting cold in trains. And I do bring water, to avoid fainting in hot trains. There are simple, commonsense solutions to most of the problems that Cityrail commuters bitch about.

edit- the ass-touching thing was something I get pissed about when I read Mx. Women whine that someone groped them, but they don't move or confront them or anything. Way to stand up for yourselves.

Last edited:

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
scarybunny said:
If your train ride is an hour long, pee before you go. If you have an old or pregnant-style bladder, and can't hold it for the short time it would take for the train to reach a station with a toilet, wear a diaper.
Nice to see such a champion of human dignity. Keep up the good work. =\

BlitzSpade

HSC
the train network is so fucking complicated, we shouldn't compare it with singapore or hongkong, do you have any idea how simple thsoe train networks are? and don't go blaming the government for how complex it is cuz the government didnt build the whole thing in a week.

also a lot of train delays are actually due to the commuters...ie pulling the doors open, holding them open, arguing...etc

once there was a fight at sefton station and the train had to sit there and wait because the it might run someone over. Also with increasing population things are just going to get harder. if one train is late in a day it doesn't mean that the system has fucked up...just means some drunk guy fell on the tracks

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
poloktim said:
Nice to see such a champion of human dignity. Keep up the good work. =\
How can you even expect toilets on suburban trains though? They're not meant to be cruise liners.

TwoNiner

HSC
scarybunny said:
Or a train derail because the driver was speeding to meet on-time standards? It's happened before.
Yeah? Maybe in the mid 90s, but data-loggers have seen to that. You'll find that any self respecting driver wishing to keep his or her job would never speed, not even a Km/h over, cause it gets logged. You'll find that drivers tend to shut off about 5 - 10 Km/h below the speed limit, just to be safe...

TwoNiner

HSC
mr_brightside said:
If they want to improve services they should cut the 1/3 of full time paid drivers that work two days a week.
That's the media feeding you porkies, surprise surprise.

Last I checked, drivers got 1 RDO per fortnight.

What the media MAY have been referring to, are drivers on 'standby'. This is where they are rostered on to cover any abscence by other drivers who are on sickies, etc...And if no-one's sick or whatever, they hang around for the rest of the shift just in case. If this didn't occur, then good luck to ya if the driver of your train pulls a sickie, cos there won't be anyone to cover 'em!

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
the only thing i'd suggest to cityrail if they wanted to improve something (and this is a purely personal observation based only on where i live so i understand if people disagree):

anyone familiar with the western line knows that there's a bunch of piddly peripheral stations, all fairly close together, between riverstone and richmond. i'm talking Mulgrave, Clarendon, Vineyard, etc etc. now yes, i get the fact that people do live at these places and need to catch trains BUT i don't think that all of the trains need to stop at all of these stations all of the time. it wouldnt kill someone living at clarendon to have to travel to say, windsor to catch a train once in a while. heck, i have to drive/bus it for half an hour to get to my closest train station (richmond) and i can deal with it. it just annoys the heck out of me when the train is stopping at all these places and nobody gets on or off and it's like what's the point?? i just think that in the case of these not-very-frequented stations they should just close them down and if you happen to live at any of them well its not that far to the bigger stations, 10 mins drive at most, so walk/drive there and catch the train and deal with it.
i dont mean to sound harsh. but anyone who lives in this area will probably understand what i mean when i say that having a station at east richmond (to use an example) is a joke. you can WALK to the main richmond station from there in about 4 minutes. no need to have a whole station there. it would seriously cut like 20 mins from a city trip if those stations were skipped or non existent. it wouldnt bother me so much if these stations were actually heavily used but from what i have observed they really arent at all, thats the problem. it seems v pointless for the train to stop there all the time when 80% of the time the platform is deserted.

yeah that was a long rant, im sorry. other than that particular issue, cityrail is actually ok in my books.

blahmeh

HSC
dudes our public train system is absolutely disgusting...

it has gotten to the point where people are pissing on the train, YUK, seen it happen, *shudders* and sits on the seats afterwards.

Our state gov simply has to do something about it, as opposed to spending millians of dollars on their stupid advertising campaigns (u no the ones im talkin about the 'don't risk him' and 'he said he's going to hand over the ir powers to canberra.'

This is wat i get i really ahhhhh about.

Especially when u have to catch these bloody trains day in and out, to go to school, or uni, whereva.

Not happy, John.

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
Tulipa said:
I'd also be more inclined to complain about the people on the train, rather than the service itself.
absolutely. my biggest gripes abut public transport is stinky carriages, and thats not really shittyrails fault, more so the stinky hobos who catch it.

Who really uses train toilets anyway? ewwww.

Although scary bunny, SYDNEY trains may be usually only 5-10 min lates, but if you are travelling on different lines this is not so. Its not uncommon for me to be stuck at warabrook for a good 40-50 mins waiting for a train that is majroly late, thus then missing my connecting train to get back to the central coast and have to wait ANOTHER hour or so at hamilton. Days like that are the reasons people hate city rail.

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
blahmeh said:

it has gotten to the point where people are pissing on the train, YUK, seen it happen, *shudders* and sits on the seats afterwards.

ahahaha. once i was on a hunter line train and this stinky hobo pissed out of the train doors onto the platform when the train had stopped. it was really disgusting, and there was some poor little old ladies around too and i fwelt really bad for them

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
blahmeh said:

Our state gov simply has to do something about it, as opposed to spending millians of dollars on their stupid advertising campaigns (u no the ones im talkin about the 'don't risk him' and 'he said he's going to hand over the ir powers to canberra.'

I'd love to hear some ideas on how to stop people urinating on trains. I mean, I don't think it's a very frequent occurance, so surely the Debnamist (oh yeah) security forces ideology that you're obviously implying wouldn't really make that much of a difference, and would simply by a rather cruddy waste of money. Money that could be spent, I don't know, fudning the Clearways project which the ALP State Government initiated.

Ranger Stacie said:
absolutely. my biggest gripes abut public transport is stinky carriages, and thats not really shittyrails fault, more so the stinky hobos who catch it.
Too true. If you stink, don't catch a train, that's my attitude towards the situation. If you're offended by what people talk about on a train, then move carriages and don't make a scene...

<_<
>_>
<_<

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
so is there anything at all which the cityrail can do to improve? Nebuchanezzar you seem to think cityrail is perfect and every fault on the train can be fixed if someone moved out of their way to avoid the problem. surely cityrail can do more to fix their problems.

on the plus side, i do think that the cityrail is improving slowly and deserves some recognition.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)