[CLOSED] *FREE* FEEDBACK ON YOUR ENGLISH PARAGRAPHS FROM A BAND 6 STUDENT (1 Viewer)

easyAessay

HSC
Not accepting submissions via this thread anymore due to a recent influx in my PMs in particular. I really enjoy checking out your writing, though, so check out my new thread, which offers marking with value for money. https://community.boredofstudies.or...rds-1st-remark-50-off-2nd-remark-free.395311/

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************

HSC all-rounder (including Band 6 in English (Advanced)) med student is bored (of studies ha ha) and wants to spend the lockdown roasting your not-so-hard work.

Not getting specific, targeted feedback from your teachers? Send me your writing (one ~250-word paragraph per person, please) and get free detailed (~ and possibly spicy ~) feedback from a reputed critic! ;) All writing from all year levels of English (except Year 12 Extension 1 and 2) is accepted!

Last edited:

DarkOperator618

HSC
Curious incident, Standard

How does Haddon represent an unique individual to expand the reader’s perspective on human behaviour?

Mark Haddon’s text ‘The Curious Incident of the Dog in the nighttime’ effectively represents a unique individual through the lens of the protagonist diagnosed with Aspergers in order to encourage the audience to understand and empathise with his condition and its relation to human behaviour. Through the key themes of the Nature of Difference, the Need for Stability and the Complexity of Human Interaction, Haddon extensively explores this unique individual who views the world differently to expand the reader’s perspective on human behaviour.

Haddon explores the nature of difference through Christopher’s positive traits such as his conflict with himself in order to expand the reader’s perspective on human behaviour. This is initially seen through Christopher’s statement that ‘Prime numbers are what is left when you have taken all the patterns away. I think prime numbers are like life. They are very logical but you could never work out the rules, even if you spent all your time thinking about them.’ This example symbolises Christopher’s thought process through his attempts at applying logical thinking to life and his paradoxical character which is both illogical and logical, depending on the context. This is a notable example of the Nature of Difference as Chirstopher intends for stability through logic and factuality, due to his aspergers condition, making him socially awkward in social situations, as well as expanding the reader’s perspective on human behaviour. Furthermore, through ‘My name is a metaphor. It means carrying Christ ...it was a name given to St Christopher because he carried Jesus Christ across a river. Mother used to say that it meant Christopher was a nice name because it was a story about being kind and helpful, but I do not want my name to mean a story about being kind and helpful. I want my name to mean me.’ this statement depicts Christopher’s atypical narrative voice. His biblical allusion suggests that he dislikes the idea of his name being characterised as a metaphor, reflecting his need for individuality. This is another example of the Nature of Difference as normal people wouldn’t display much care to the etymology behind their name generally, but Christopher is an anomaly in this situation, showing Haddon’s attempt to expand the reader’s perspective on human behaviour through this situation. Finally, through ‘But most people are lazy. They never look at everything. They do what is called glancing which is the same word for bumping off something carrying on in the same direction [...] But if I am standing in a field in the countryside I notice everything.’ where the truncated sentences point out his opinions on other people’s interactions with their surroundings, compared to that of himself. His pedantic nature is emphasised here and reflects a desire for a specific understanding of the environment, thus showing his difference from the rest of society due to this condition. As a result, this expands the reader’s perspective on human behaviour, due to Christopher’s Asperger’s condition influencing his everyday activities. Thus, Haddon explores the nature of difference through Christopher’s positive traits such as his conflict with himself in order to expand the reader’s perspective on human behaviour.

Another aspect of the nature of difference can be seen through Christopher’s need for stability, also reflected through his s conflict with self. Haddon explores the idea of Christopher’s factual thought processes, his need for truth and his solving of maths equations in his head… in order to make sense of his world. This is seen in ‘Its eyes were closed. It looked as if it was running on its side, the way dogs run when they think they are chasing a cat in a dream. But the dog was not running or asleep. The dog was dead.’ where Haddon’s use of truncated sentences emphasises the impactfulness of the dead dog. The atypical narrative voice portrayed by Christopher presents the events involving the dog from a factual perspective, instead of an emotional one, expanding the reader’s perspective on human behaviour due to this reason. Furthermore, through ‘Also Doctor Watson says about Sherlock Holmes...his mind… was busy in endeavouring to frame some scheme into which all of these strange and apparently disconnected episodes could be fitted’ And that is what I am trying to do by writing this book.’ This shows Christopher’s need for stability by Haddon’s use of intertextuality to Arthur Conan Doyle’s ‘Sherlock Holmes’, encouraging him to ‘write this book’. Additionally, this relates to the hybridization of the novel’s genre, as Christopher intended to write a murder mystery novel, but instead wrote a bildungsroman (coming of age) novel. Finally, through ‘And when I was asleep I had one of my favourite dreams… And in the dream nearly everyone on the earth is dead, because they have caught a virus…And eventually there is no one left in the world except people who don’t look at other people’s faces and who don’t know what these pictures mean’ the use of internal focalisation into Christopher’s dreams show his need for stability, due to his dream depicting having a ‘perfect life’ where a virus wipes out the world population, leaving him alone, showing and expanding the reader’s perspective on human behaviour. Finally, the need for stability shows another aspect of the nature of difference, which is reflected through his conflict with himself.

The complexity of human interaction is explored through Christopher’s conflict with others in order to reflect his social awkwardness that creates misunderstandings and hostility from others. This is especially evident in ‘I felt giddy. It was like the room was swinging from side to side, as if it was at the top of a really tall building and the building was swinging backwards and forwards in a strong wind.’ This use of the depressive tone shows that Christopher is disappointed with this father and doesn’t trust him anymore, he believes that lies have destroyed their relationship due to his preoccupation with the truth. In his life, it is immensely more important for Christopher to have a good relationship with his father, especially considering his Aspergers condition. This fracture of trust between the two also reflects his social awkwardness, which creates misunderstandings between Christopher’s father and himself. Furthermore, this is also seen in “And the man said, ‘single or return? And I said, ‘What does single or return mean?’ And he said, ‘Do you want to go one way, or do you want to go and come back?’And I said, ‘I want to stay when I get there’. And he said, ‘For how long?’ And I said, ‘Until I go to university.’
And he said, ‘Single, then’...” In this example, it is clear that Christopher struggles to converse with the ticket inspector, indicating his clear weaknesses in social situations, such as this example mentioned earlier. Finally, through ‘And she said, "Are you telling the truth, Christopher?" And then I said, "I always tell the truth." And she said, "I know you do, Christopher. But sometimes we get sad about things and we don't like to tell other people that we are sad about them."’ where the atypical narrative voice portrays Christopher as dogmatic, repetitive and naive, showing his lack of understanding of normal human emotions and instead perceives his environment as ‘factual’. This is reflected through his Aspergers condition, due to his lack of understanding social cues, resulting in him struggling immensely with the mundane idea of human interaction, thus resting misunderstandings and hostility from others. Thus, the complexity of human interaction is explored through Christopher’s conflict with others in order to reflect his social awkwardness that creates misunderstandings and hostility from others.

Ultimately, Haddon’s novel ‘The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime’, effectively represents a unique individual through the lens of the protagonist diagnosed with Aspergers in order to encourage the audience to understand and empathise with his condition and its relation to human behaviour. This is especially amplified with the key themes of the Nature of Difference, the Need for Stability and the Complexity of Human iNteraction. Thus, Haddon’s novel effectively represents a unique individual through the lens of the protagonist diagnosed with Aspergers in order to encourage the audience to understand and empathise with his condition and its relation to human behaviour.

easyAessay

HSC
I'm commenting on one paragraph at a time. Please bear with me :)
The universal struggle for between finding personal autonomy identity inbalancing and conforming to societal attitudes with personal autonomy is represented through The Crucible's exploration of how a religious hegemony can impinge on an individuals''s moral integrity. Miller’s heroistic moral integrity is represented symbolises moral integrity through the alienated autocratic theocracy of Salem, which exploits John Proctor’s fatal flaw of needing to protect his reputation. As the archetypal tragic hero, Proctor's hamartia of moral integrity hmm...slightly contradictory - you just said his fatal flaw is needing to protect his reputation, but now you're talking about his moral integrity? See more in general comments is epitomised in Act II where he ironically exclaims that “...every moment (I’m he is) judged for lies” and corresponds with awkward wording here - not sure what you mean - try different expression “...speaks deceit...and I am honest” in Act II. This portrays society's conflict with Proctor‘s personal autonomy as Miller values morality constructed by self-determinism rather than one socially constructed and shared. Furthermore, the irresolution I don't think I understand your use of this word here - you're saying that Proctor's death is uncertain, which was foreshadowed by the girls crying out in great relief? in Proctor’s tragic death is foreshadowed in by the stage Betty crying out "in great relief", directions: “they cry out in great relief” I could be wrong, but where did you find this quote? which glorifies empowering her Abigail and the other girls by empowering them with a voice. This suggests that morality cannot prevail in the puritan society, or morality it will be subsumed suppressed by conformity due to man’s vulnerability to collective values. <-- I really like this sentence! This is explicitly reinforced by Miller's narration, where Elizabeth's states imperative tone in saying, “Let none be your judge. There can be no higher judge under heaven than Proctor,which opposesing the state’s collective encounter in judgement of Proctor’s identity, and conscience. In synthesis with tThe play’s revelatory conclusion of Elizabeth bathed in the pathetic fallacy of in “light of the new sun”, portraysing the martyred nature of Proctor’s death and how morality is easily influenced by...? as his death sheds light on enlightens the audience about the inevitability of conscience’s death. The singular moral compass of the play is accentuated with anachronistic could you be a bit more clear about why you're using the word here? It might be a good opportunity to mention some brief context clarity where Proctor’s words echo truth through pathos in “Now hell and heaven grapple on our backs and our old pretense is ripped away…”, conveying that he is taking charge of his ‘name’ Is this a quote from the play? as his conscience becomes his rebellion. The heightened modality of his phrases, pinpoints the issues that proliferate the absurd injustices in the theocratic puritan society to identify how the individual autonomy is encroached upon by external collective thought. Hence, Miller powerfully portrays the inherent struggle of maintaining to maintain authentic human experiences as individual autonomy is often compromised in communities where peace is maintained by collective thought.
Strengths:
- You have used some great vocab here - really like your use of words like "anachronistic" and contextual words like "theocracy" and "puritan"
- You have a well-sustained argument that consistently addresses your very solid topic sentence and conclusion sentence - it's cohesive
- I notice a decent understanding of the play here through your analysis and choice of quotes and techniques

Opportunities to improve:
- I have made as many changes to your expression as I could find, but I highly recommend you use them as a starting point to identify other places where you might be able to cut down words
- I think the reason your paragraph is too long is because you have repeated your point in multiple sentences rather than progressed your argument. A good body paragraph should start off with your main point (topic sentence), then each point after that needs to build on the analysis rather than repeating. My suggestion is to remove a couple of sentences here and there (e.g. the part where Elizabeth reinforces society's opposition of individuality, which basically repeats the first main point where the example of irony was used to illustrate society's conflict with Proctor's autonomy)
- Another reason your paragraph is too long is that you have wasted two of your sentences talking about Proctor's fatal flaw. This is more like a "by the way" rather than directly addressing the point of your paragraph that could easily be shortened to half a sentence so that you can quickly jump to the main point of society's conflict with Proctor's autonomy
- Proctor might have multiple hamartias, but since we're on the topic of something else entirely, best to focus on one and go with it for the sake of this paragraph - otherwise, you risk opening a whole can of worms that's not worth opening. Having said that, we don't know what your exam question might be - it could be on his hamartia(s). Hence, I'd recommend you to Google these websites on stuff about his hamartias for future reference (I can't paste links here :( ):
* John Proctor The True Tragic Hero - PapersOwl
* John Proctor The Tragic Hero English Literature Essay - AU Essays
* John Proctor - a Tragic Hero in The Crucible - Grades Fixer
- Try adding a pinch of context (author's and/or Salem witch trials) in your paragraph somewhere - you wouldn't eat chips without a bit of salt, would you? :')

I hope this is good starting feedback for you. I will comment on your other paragraphs later today. Remember to judge the value of each sentence of what you write just as harshly as people were judged at the Salem witch trials >:)

Last edited:

stressedadfff

HSC
I'm commenting on one paragraph at a time. Please bear with me :)

Strengths:
- You have used some great vocab here - really like your use of words like "anachronistic" and contextual words like "theocracy" and "puritan"
- You have a well-sustained argument that consistently addresses your very solid topic sentence and conclusion sentence - it's cohesive
- I notice a decent understanding of the play here through your analysis and choice of quotes and techniques

- I have made as many changes to your expression as I could find, but I highly recommend you use them as a starting point to identify other places where you might be able to cut down words
- I think the reason your paragraph is too long is because you have repeated your point in multiple sentences rather than progressed your argument. A good body paragraph should start off with your main point (topic sentence), then each point after that needs to build on the analysis rather than repeating. My suggestion is to remove a couple of sentences here and there (e.g. the part where Elizabeth reinforces society's opposition of individuality, which basically repeats the first main point where the example of irony was used to illustrate society's conflict with Proctor's autonomy)
- Another reason your paragraph is too long is that you have wasted two of your sentences talking about Proctor's fatal flaw. This is more like a "by the way" rather than directly addressing the point of your paragraph that could easily be shortened to half a sentence so that you can quickly jump to the main point of society's conflict with Proctor's autonomy
- Proctor might have multiple hamartias, but since we're on the topic of something else entirely, best to focus on one and go with it for the sake of this paragraph - otherwise, you risk opening a whole can of worms that's not worth opening. Having said that, we don't know what your exam question might be - it could be on his hamartia(s). Hence, I'd recommend you to Google these websites on stuff about his hamartias for future reference (I can't paste links here :( ):
* John Proctor The True Tragic Hero - PapersOwl
* John Proctor The Tragic Hero English Literature Essay - AU Essays
* John Proctor - a Tragic Hero in The Crucible - Grades Fixer
- Try adding a pinch of context (author's and/or Salem witch trials) in your paragraph somewhere - you wouldn't eat chips without a bit of salt, would you? :')

I hope this is good starting feedback for you. I will comment on your other paragraphs later today. Remember to judge the value of each sentence of what you write just as harshly as people were judged at the Salem witch trials >:)
all good :)

Nacseo

Newest Member
HSC
Topic: Authors engage viewers by giving us a perspective on important issues that impact people

Year 10 and this has to be a podcast, sad ik, im not done with the conclusion just yet, Thanks legend

If there is anything I need to cut down or shorten please let me know :)

Michael Pryor's 10 Futures offers a grim perspective on humanity through the use of abstract diction; this thought-provoking novel examines the possible futures that we, humanity, could face or will face. We will be analysing the first chapter of 10 Futures, which stems from the concept of artificial intelligence and debating the rights of whether androids will yearn to live freely as independent people.

Pryor opens our eyes to an issue that could happen in the coming period. This chapter depicts the year 2100, a near-future where the lives of humans are made easier by artificial intelligence. It shows us a world where an android's purpose cannot be limited to serving humanity, and additionally, can be given a possibility to achieving something that humankind has always feared: sentience. Portia is an example of an android that has developed humanoid emotions over time and has aspirations to be treated as an equal like her human friend, Tara, by a society run by humankind. The storyline addresses Portia in her struggle for freedom; ever since the government has campaigned to recover scarce materials from androids, Portia's 'life' is now in danger. Tara was dismayed by the thought of compensating her best friend to the government; she devised a plan to prove that Portia is human. Along these lines, Tara mentions how much Portia has grown and matured like a person while ignoring the stereotype that artificial intelligence cannot be sentient. "She is not a metal box stuffed full of programs, no more than we're bone domes stuffed full of squishy stuff. She's learned to be human." Tara exclaimed that Portia is living proof of a non-human entity that has become 'human.' In this quote, being human is not the mannerisms of a human being, nor having the physical form; it is a way of living. Pryor emphasises the word 'stuffed' using anaphora; this is very prominent in the text as it underlines that what makes us human beings is more than flesh and bones. Our life experiences define who we are and what we will become; this can be applied to Portia's case, in that she has adapted to a human lifestyle and experiences life the same way as the rest of humankind; thus, she has become human. Pryor has immersed his audience by diving into themes of artificial intelligence finding consciousness and how civil rights can be involved as Portia is pleading for equality among a society that doubts her sentience and humanity.

At the tail end of this story, Portia is faced by the court as they retire to make a final decision on whether the android is human; it was at that moment when Portia requested to talk to her best friend, Tara, one last time."Tara? If the worst happens to me, will you take care of my pets?" In this part of the text, Portia displayed another human emotion, selflessness. The unwillingness to die is a human quality but considering others' needs before your own is a distinct characteristic that ultimately distinguishes Portia's character from any other android or human. The judge, Justice Ironmonger, quotes this line after the response made by Portia. "An unwillingness to die is a human trait, but no animal willingly goes to its death either. No animal other than humans, however, keep pets." The evidence further sustains that Portia is an anthropomorphic being. Apart from adopting the crucial personality trait that makes man 'man,' Portia has developed human habits that require a long-term commitment, like owning pets. Hence, Pryor's message is that we should treat like cases alike, and we must identify differences that justify treating non-human animals in ways we would never subject to humans.

Last edited:

easyAessay

HSC
In The Crucible, (repetitive) --> the equality of justice is inverted with the subjectivity (again, repetitive)and biases of religion and evangelical puritanism, allowing individuals to use the moral precepts of law to mediate power and control. Miller's fictional recount of the event in Salem, Massachusetts reveals how the collective and individual experience of justice can be manipulated and distorted to engender fear and hysteria. The inversion/conflation of justice is evident in The Crucible’s theatrical setting, as Betty’s bedroom (Act 1) with “exposed roof rafters” <-- this is great quote integration! doubles as a religious centre for the community’s exorcism; and the Proctor’s house (Act 2) - an isolated place of private affairs - is equated to a court as John he states “it’s as though I come into a court when I come into this house”. <-- can you reword this sentence so we're talking about why Miller chose to use this particular technique? You can phrase it like, "Miller uses the theatrical settings of...to..." The tension instilled by theatre’s invasion of Salem’s privacy thus, denounces the political harassment of conscience’s transformation from a private affair to that of state administration in Salem’s and McCarthy’s iconoclastic trials. Miller’s narration authorial intrusion effectively highlights that the restorative and reformative purposes of justice are being mistaken for personal vendettas and vengeance by alluding to through authorial intrusion and religious allusion in religious[o]ld scores [that] could be settled…between Lucifer and the Lord;”, conveying man's vulnerability to deception. This juxtaposinges religious figures to highlight the binary nature of religious ideology <-- why is this relevant to this paragraph?. Moreover, the humanisation of Pproctor is was achieved through the metaphorical richness and poetic sensuality of his discourse, exemplified in phrases such as “Is the accuser always holy now? Were they born this morning as clean as God’s fingers…” portrays the paradox of religion conflating the law and exposes the lack of equality in public sentiment. <-- sentence too long; I recommend using rhetorical question as the technique Moreover, Danforth’s use of a passionate <-- this is not an actual narrative voice type narrative voice of biased nature directly exposes the lack of judicial legitimacy in Salem. <-- I recommend getting rid of this sentence, and maybe only incorporating the part about lack of judicial legitimacy into an existing sentence. This is reinforced in the traditional Christian imagery of Jesus giving his blood for the sins of humanity, juxtaposed with Danforth's shortcomings of guilt and the need for “no slightest qualm of conscience [to] doubt” judicial legitimacy, as the innocent such as Elizabeth are ultimately punished. Hale’s statement; - “There is blood on my head! Can you not see the blood on my head!”, - conveys through the repetitive symbol of blood, that moral doubts about the perversion of truth and justice increase tension in.... <-- sense a slight repetition of point here Hence, Miller reveals the nature of power and justice by inviting the audience to question the façade of fairness amongst political institutions and to interrogate the corruption of justice which occurs in the audience's own experiences of the world. <-- really like this last bit - beautifully links to audience's own experiences of the world - an important part of the rubric
Strengths:
- I see you have put a concerted effort to follow the rubric, which is great
- Some really high-quality, in-depth analysis with specific techniques
- Some good quote integration, but see below on how to make it consistently great!

- Work on your quote integration - the better you can do this, the better the flow of the essay will be and thus the more cohesive it'll be; I can see that you ARE capable of doing it - you just need to work on consistency :) Integrating quotes better also cuts down words A LOT (speaking from experience)
- Rather than placing techniques in the middle of sentences just awkwardly, try and integrate them into your sentences as well so they fit better - my suggestion would be to turn them into verbs or adverbs such as, "Miller metaphorically demonstrates..." or "Proctor ironically does such and such..." or "Abigail rhetorically questions..."...you get the picture. This would also cut down words
- I feel like the last sentence before your concluding sentence was a bit repetitive and kind of made the argument circular, which is not necessarily bad; but I think that's the concluding sentence's job to summarise what happened in that paragraph. All sentences until then need to have some kind of progression, or at least a different point or perspective. Make a plan of how you want the paragraph to progress argument-wise (like, starting from your topic sentence, how does this issue eventually link to a broader contextual issue of author or text/to other characters/to audience's context)

All in all, work on your flow. Good flow doesn't just apply to rappers, y'know. :cool:🤙

stressedadfff

HSC
Strengths:
- I see you have put a concerted effort to follow the rubric, which is great
- Some really high-quality, in-depth analysis with specific techniques
- Some good quote integration, but see below on how to make it consistently great!

- Work on your quote integration - the better you can do this, the better the flow of the essay will be and thus the more cohesive it'll be; I can see that you ARE capable of doing it - you just need to work on consistency :) Integrating quotes better also cuts down words A LOT (speaking from experience)
- Rather than placing techniques in the middle of sentences just awkwardly, try and integrate them into your sentences as well so they fit better - my suggestion would be to turn them into verbs or adverbs such as, "Miller metaphorically demonstrates..." or "Proctor ironically does such and such..." or "Abigail rhetorically questions..."...you get the picture. This would also cut down words
- I feel like the last sentence before your concluding sentence was a bit repetitive and kind of made the argument circular, which is not necessarily bad; but I think that's the concluding sentence's job to summarise what happened in that paragraph. All sentences until then need to have some kind of progression, or at least a different point or perspective. Make a plan of how you want the paragraph to progress argument-wise (like, starting from your topic sentence, how does this issue eventually link to a broader contextual issue of author or text/to other characters/to audience's context)

All in all, work on your flow. Good flow doesn't just apply to rappers, y'know. :cool:🤙
THANKS!

easyAessay

HSC
Miller challenges the verisimilitude of truth (ability to be changed) this sounds repeated to me since verisimilitude means "how close to reality something is", and get rid of bracketed things as an immutable grounds of knowledge through the absurdist representation of how hysteria and witchcraft engineer collective ideologies. <-- I otherwise really like this topic sentence! This denounces the anti-communist rage that threatened to reach hysterical proportions, as well as the colour symbolism in "red hunt", which was the dominating fixation of the 1950s American psyche. Miller’s depiction of Abigail as the personification of hysteria and manipulation “with a prodigious danger in seeking loose spirits”, demonstrates the potential of hysteria to misconstrue truth. The ongoing tension in of the play is embodied by Abigail in Act 1, when she and the collective women begin to falsely accuse people of witchcraft. Abigail asserts that, sheI want[s] the sweet love of Jesus! I[She] danced for the Devil…” The paradoxical comparison of Jesus and the Devil externalises the falsity of Abigail's argument. In combination with Abigail’s exclamation in dialogue, this heightens the sudden hysteria shrouded in contrived, collectively Purintanical piety. In addition, Miller reveals the contagion of hysteria and the political machination of public terror that divests man of conscience, as in the rhetorical questioning of in the rising tension: “Why...? Why do you come as a yellow bird?” during the rising tension of the play. In doing this, the girls’ frenzied crescendo of baseless accusations permeating hysteria and tension throughout the four4-act structure parallels the Red hunt-dominating fixation of the 1950s American psyche. <-- I feel like you should reword it so it doesn't sound too repetitive This almost satanic ritual mimicked by the girls, symbolises the real-life(?) accusations(?) in court, as Proctor idiomatically confirms there is “no bird” which theocracy is blinded to by placing faith in the corrupt girls. <-- not sure if I'm understanding this sentence; consider rewording to clarify your point Furthermore, Miller dramatises the "infectious" nature of hysteria upon communal mindsets through Abigail’s confession to consorting with the Devil to absolve the sin[, Betty follows: “I saw Alice Barrow with the devil!” mimicked by Abigail: “I saw Goody proctor with the Devil!”] <-- what is the purpose of including the bracketed part and does it really add meaning to your point?. Miller in the final stage directions of the act “the curtain falls on their ecstatic cries” conveys the implosion of theocracy as a one-dimensional technique, reducing it to “the curtain fall[ing] on their ecstatic cries”, as a one-dimensional technique which influences collective hysteria. In deliberately <-- what do you mean by this? All choices made by text creators are deliberate ending Act One, Miller emphasises the absurdist tension and confronts the audiences to consider the socially contagious nature of these accusations both within and outside of the play’s context. In addition, the absurdist conflation of Abigail with the biblical imagery: of[w]here she walks the crowd will part like the sea of Israel” absurdly represents her as an omnipotent godly figure,. This conveyings the hyperbolic externalisation of her control that causes the shared hysteria. Therefore, Miller’s reveals how the punitive and violent nature of fear-induced hysteria, challengesing an individual's experience of the world around them.
I've given you enough strengths and opportunities to improve already, so here are just some closing general comments:

- Always write out numbers as words in the subject of English
- Good use of obscure quotes! I can't even find the quote "no bird" on Google, so you've either done some thorough reading or made up a really good quote 🤪 If the former, this really shows that you've read the play
- Great incorporation of context here! Use that in your other paragraphs
- All previous feedback applies
- Try and minimise the number of sentences you write that don't have a technique and a quote in them (except for topic and concluding sentences, obviously). This will save words and help you cut to the chase

Last edited:

stressedadfff

HSC
I've given you enough strengths and opportunities to improve already, so here are just some closing general comments:

- Always write out numbers as words in the subject of English
- Good use of obscure quotes! I can't even find the quote "no bird" on Google, so you've either done some thorough reading or made up a really good quote 🤪 If the former, this really shows that you've read the play
- Great incorporation of context here! Use that in your other paragraphs
- All previous feedback applies
- Try and minimise the number of sentences you write that don't have a technique and a quote in them (except for topic and concluding sentences, obviously). This will save words and help you cut to the chase
THANK YOU HEAPS!

not_sure

HSC
Romeo and Juliet, year 10. "How does the language of the play show how some of the characters view the world?"

Shakespeare’s tragedy ‘Romeo and Juliet’ reveals that love is a lens through which characters view the world, because it shapes their attitudes, values and beliefs. The characters Romeo, Juliet and Friar Lawrence are each examples of this point. Even though their individual outlooks are different, the characters share the fact that their worldview has been crafted through an experience with love. This essay will highlight how composer William Shakespeare has used language forms and features, in particular paradox, metaphor and personification, to convey how Romeo, Juliet and Friar Lawrence view the world when influenced by love. It remains particularly relevant when a worldview about love can create thematic exploration, in this case social change and character development.

easyAessay

HSC
Can you write me 3 body paragraphs on challenges,relationships and identity on the book curious incident of the dog in the night garden
Hi,
I'm not offering a free essay-writing service. This is a free essay-MARKING service. I do not encourage anyone to solicit others to write their essays for them. If you have already written any paragraph/s, please feel free to drop them here so that I can give you feedback. :)

easyAessay

HSC
Apologies for the late reply. Hope you'll find this feedback helpful. :)

Try insert a general contextual intro sentence that relates to the rubric - suggestion would be something involving "how language can be used to affirm, ignore, reveal, challenge or disrupt prevailing assumptions and beliefs about themselves, individuals and cultural groups" Mark Haddon’s text The Curious Incident of the Dog in the nNight-tTime avoid using quotation marks for titles, as they can be confused for textual quotes effectively represents a unique individual through the lens of the protagonist diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome in order to encourage the audience to understand and empathise with his condition and its relation to human behaviour <-- could you briefly expand on how Asperger's syndrome relates to human behaviour? It's important to do this in your thesis. Through the key themes of the Nature of Difference, the Need for Stability and the Complexity of Human Interaction <-- please don't talk about "themes"; can you expand on each "theme" and turn it into a statement of how it relates to human behaviour? also, why have you capitalised them?, Haddon extensively explores this unique individual who views the world differently to expand the reader’s perspective on human behaviour.

Haddon explores the nature of difference through Christopher’s positive traits, <-- why is this positive? such as his conflict with himself internal conflict, in order to expand the reader’s perspective on human behaviour. This is initially seen through Christopher’s statement that ‘Prime numbers are what is left when you have taken all the patterns away. I think prime numbers are like life. They are very logical but you could never work out the rules, even if you spent all your time thinking about them.’ <-- too long of a quote This example symbolises Christopher’s thought process through his attempts at applying logical thinking to life and his paradoxical character which that is both illogical and logical, depending on the context. This is a notable example of the Nature of Difference as Chirristopher intends for stability through logic and factuality, due to his aspergers Asperger's condition, making him socially awkward in social situations, as well as expanding the reader’s perspective on human behaviour. Furthermore, through ‘My name is a metaphor. It means carrying Christ...it was a name given to St Christopher because he carried Jesus Christ across a river. Mother used to say that it meant Christopher was a nice name because it was a story about being kind and helpful, but I do not want my name to mean a story about being kind and helpful. I want my name to mean me.’ <-- too long of a quote this statement depicts Christopher’s atypical narrative voice. His biblical allusion suggests that he dislikes the idea of his name being characterised as a metaphor, reflecting his need for individuality quote?. This is another example of the Nature of Difference as normal people wouldn’t never use contractions in your writing (unless it's a quote) display much care to the etymology behind their name generally, <-- what are your sources for saying this? in general, completely try and avoid making sweeping generalisations that don't have to do with the text; but Christopher is an anomaly in this situation, showing Haddon’s attempt to expand the reader’s perspective on human behaviour through this situation. Finally, through ‘But most people are lazy. They never look at everything. They do what is called glancing which is the same word for bumping off something carrying on in the same direction [...] But if I am standing in a field in the countryside I notice everything.’ <-- too long of a quote where the truncated sentences point out his opinions on other people’s interactions with their surroundings, compared to that of himself. His pedantic nature is emphasised here and reflects a desire for a specific understanding of the environment, thus showing his difference from the rest of society due to this condition. As a result, this expands the reader’s perspective on human behaviour, due to Christopher’s Asperger’s condition syndrome influencing his everyday activities. Thus, Haddon explores the nature of difference through Christopher’s positive traits such as his conflict with himself in order to expand the reader’s perspective on human behaviour.

Another aspect of the nature of difference <-- make sure your three points for your body para's don't overlap with each other; don't connect need for stability within nature of difference, but you can connect between them - like how they both expand perspectives on human behaviour can be seen through Christopher’s need for stability, which is also reflected through his s conflict with self. Haddon explores the idea of Christopher’s factual thought processes, his need for truth and his solving of maths equations in his head <-- don't use ellipses if it's not a quote in order to make sense of his world. This is seen in ‘Its eyes were closed. It looked as if it was running on its side, the way dogs run when they think they are chasing a cat in a dream. But the dog was not running or asleep. The dog was dead.’ <-- quote too long; try split it up and integrate it within the sentence where Haddon’s use of truncated sentences emphasises the impactfulness of the dead dog <-- what is its impactfulness (and what does this even mean here?)?. The Christopher's atypical <-- this is not exactly a technique - check online for types of narrative voice narrative voice portrayed by Christopher presents the events involving the dog from a factual perspective, instead of an emotional one, expanding the reader’s perspective on human behaviour due to this reason what is the reason? e.g. because readers usually have an emotional perspective on matters.... Furthermore, through ‘Also Doctor Watson says about Sherlock Holmes...his mind… was busy in endeavouring to frame some scheme into which all of these strange and apparently disconnected episodes could be fitted’ And that is what I am trying to do by writing this book.’ <-- this is not a full sentence, despite the quotes This shows Christopher’s need for stability by Haddon’s use of intertextuality to Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes, encouraging him to ‘write this book’. Additionally, this relates to the hybridizsation of the novel’s genre, as Christopher intended to write a murder mystery novel, but instead wrote a bildungsroman (coming of age) no need to define literary techniques novel. Finally, through ‘And when I was asleep I had one of my favourite dreams… And in the dream nearly everyone on the earth is dead, because they have caught a virus…And eventually there is no one left in the world except people who don’t look at other people’s faces and who don’t know what these pictures mean’ the use of internal focalisation into Christopher’s dreams show his need for stability, due to his dream depicting having a ‘perfect life’ where a virus wipes out the world population, leaving him alone, showing and expanding the reader’s perspective on human behaviour <-- why is this different from typical human behaviour?. Finally, the need for stability shows another aspect of the nature of difference, which is reflected through his conflict with himself. <-- repeats topic sentence; you need to show that you've thought beyond what you started with and make a more philosophical statement about what the reader is taught about human behaviour

easyAessay

HSC
Apologies for the late reply. Hope you'll find this feedback helpful. :)
cont.

The complexity of human interaction is explored through Christopher’s conflict with others in order to reflect his social awkwardness that creates misunderstandings and hostility from others <-- relate this to what it teaches the readers about human behaviour!. This is especially evident in ‘I felt giddy. It was like the room was swinging from side to side, as if it was at the top of a really tall building and the building was swinging backwards and forwards in a strong wind.’ This use of the depressive tone shows that Christopher is disappointed with this father and doesn’t trust him anymore, he believes that lies have destroyed their relationship due to his preoccupation with the truth. In his life, it is immensely more important for Christopher to have a good relationship with his father, especially considering his Asperger's condition. This fracture of trust between the two also reflects his social awkwardness, which creates misunderstandings between Christopher’s father and himself. Furthermore, this is also seen in “And the man said, ‘single or return? And I said, ‘What does single or return mean?’ And he said, ‘Do you want to go one way, or do you want to go and come back?’And I said, ‘I want to stay when I get there’. And he said, ‘For how long?’ And I said, ‘Until I go to university.’
And he said, ‘Single, then’...” <-- way, way, way too long quote In this example, it is clear that Christopher struggles to converse with the ticket inspector, indicating his clear weaknesses in social situations, such as this example mentioned earlier. Finally, through ‘And she said, "Are you telling the truth, Christopher?" And then I said, "I always tell the truth." And she said, "I know you do, Christopher. But sometimes we get sad about things and we don't like to tell other people that we are sad about them."’ where the atypical narrative voice portrays Christopher as dogmatic, repetitive and naïve, showing his lack of understanding of normal human emotions and instead perceives his environment as ‘factual’. This is reflected through his Asperger's condition, due to characterised by his lack of understanding social cues, resulting in him struggling immensely with the mundane idea of human interaction, thus resting and causing misunderstandings and hostility from others. Thus, the complexity of human interaction is explored through Christopher’s conflict with others in order to reflect his social awkwardness that creates misunderstandings and hostility from others. <-- please avoid repeating yourself

Ultimately, Haddon’s novel The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-tTime’, effectively represents a unique individual through the lens of the protagonist diagnosed with Asperger's in order to encourage the audience to understand and empathise with his condition and its relation to human behaviour. This is especially amplified with the key themes of the Nature of Difference, the Need for Stability and the Complexity of Human iNnteraction. Thus, Haddon’s novel effectively represents a unique individual through the lens of the protagonist diagnosed with Asperger's in order to encourage the audience to understand and empathise with his condition and its relation to human behaviour. <-- you literally said this 2 sentences ago; don't repeat yourself like this
Strengths:
- Good use of techniques
- Good understanding of the novel
- I like how you explored both Christopher's internal conflicts and conflicts with others

- Quotes are way too long. Ideally, split them up into the parts you want to emphasise techniques in and integrate them into your sentences to optimise concision, kinda like what newspapers do
- Rule of thumb is to have every sentence have a quote and a relevant technique attached to it (except in intro, conclusion, topic and concluding sentences of body para's); each body para should aim to have 3-4 quotes, each from a single section of the book and may be broken up to integrate into essay, and each quote should have at least 1 technique associated with it
- Always address the question. After every sentence you write, think whether it addresses the question in some way. I'd go as far as to ensure that in every sentence, I'm using at least one key word from the question!
- I highly recommend you take a look at a model Band 6 English essay (from Standard or Advanced) so you can see what a GOOD essay should look like. It seems like there're a lot of fundamentals of Stage 6 essays you're missing in your essay and you're using junior high school scaffolds that are a bit too basic for HSC English.

Resources you may find helpful (Google them):
- Art of Smart on TCIOTDITNT
- Matrix: The Ultimate The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time Cheat Sheet - including English Standard Module B Free Annotated Essay
- The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (review) by Patricia Schultheis --> this is more of a literary criticism, which you can quote directly in your essay! Markers are very impressed by references to critics as this demonstrates wide reading ;)

easyAessay

HSC
Topic: Authors engage viewers by giving us a perspective on important issues that impact people

Michael Pryor's 10 Futures offers a grim perspective on humanity through the use of abstract diction; this thought-provoking novel examines the possible futures that we, humanity, could face or will face. We will be analysing the first chapters of 10 Futures, which stems from the concept of artificial intelligence and debating the rights of whether androids will yearn to live freely as independent people.

Pryor opens our eyes to an issue that could happen in the coming a future period. This chapter depicts the year 2100, a near-future where the lives of humans are made easier by artificial intelligence. It shows us a world where an android's purpose cannot be limited to serving humanity, and additionally, can be given athe possibility toof achieving something that humankind has always feared: sentience. Portia is an example of an android that has developed humanoid emotions over time and has aspirations to be treated as an equal like her human friend, Tara, by a society run by humankind. [The storyline addresses Portia in her struggle for freedom; ever since the government has campaigned to recover scarce materials from androids, Portia's 'life' is now in danger. Tara iswas dismayed by the thought of compensating her best friend to the government; she devisesd a plan to prove that Portia is human. Along these lines, Tara mentions how much Portia has grown and matured like a person while ignoring the stereotype that artificial intelligence cannot be sentient. "She is not a metal box stuffed full of programs, no more than we're bone domes stuffed full of squishy stuff. She's learned to be human." Tara exclaimsed that Portia is living proof of a non-human entity that has become 'human.'] <-- this bracketed part is basically entirely storytelling, not analysis In this quote, being human is not the mannerisms of a human being, nor having the physical form; it is a way of living. Pryor emphasises the word 'stuffed' using anaphora; this is very prominent in the text as it underlines that what makes us human beings is more than flesh and bones. Our life experiences define who we are and what we will become; and (should flow naturally when you're speaking it) this can be applied to Portia's case, in that she has adapted to a human lifestyle and experiences life the same way as the rest of humankind; thus, she has become human. Pryor has immersed his audience by diving into the themes of artificial intelligence finding consciousness and how civil rights can be involved as Portia is pleading for equality amongin a society that doubts her sentience and humanity.

At the tail end of this story, Portia is faced by the court as they retire to make a final decision on whether the android is human; it wasis at that moment when Portia requestsed to talk to her best friend, Tara, one last time. "Tara? If the worst happens to me, will you take care of my pets?" In this part of the text, Portia displaysed another human emotion:, selflessness. The unwillingness to die is a human quality but considering others' needs before your own is a distinct characteristic that ultimately distinguishes Portia's character from any other android or human. The judge, Justice Ironmonger, quotes this line after the response made by Portia. "An unwillingness to die is a human trait, but no animal willingly goes to its death either. No animal other than humans, however, keep pets." The evidence further sustains that Portia is an anthropomorphic being. Apart from adopting the crucial personality trait that makes man 'man,' Portia has developed human habits that require a long-term commitment, like owning pets. Hence, Pryor's message is that we should treat like cases alike, and we must identify differences that justify treating non-human animals in ways we would never subject to humans.
Strengths:
- Excellent command of the English language. Very few expression, spelling, grammar or punctuation errors, and points are conveyed clearly
- Excellent conclusion sentence in your last para that links very well to the question

- Avoid retelling the story; focus purely on analysis
- You suddenly changed tense in the last para from present --> past. Always keep it present when talking about the events of a text

I have left out some feedback that I'd normally give an essay since I don't know your exact task requirements/criteria. I'd suggest you consult your task outline and ensure you're addressing it correctly and use my feedback merely as a starting point to improve your writing.

Nacseo

Newest Member
HSC
A
Strengths:
- Excellent command of the English language. Very few expression, spelling, grammar or punctuation errors, and points are conveyed clearly
- Excellent conclusion sentence in your last para that links very well to the question

- Avoid retelling the story; focus purely on analysis
- You suddenly changed tense in the last para from present --> past. Always keep it present when talking about the events of a text

I have left out some feedback that I'd normally give an essay since I don't know your exact task requirements/criteria. I'd suggest you consult your task outline and ensure you're addressing it correctly and use my feedback merely as a starting point to improve your writing.
Alright Thank You for the feedback man

easyAessay

HSC
Try insert a general contextual intro sentence that relates to your syllabus - suggestion would be something involving "the power of language to explore and express views of [oneself] as well as the social, cultural, ethical, moral, spiritual and aesthetic dimensions of human experiences" Shakespeare’s tragedy Romeo and Juliet avoid using inverted commas for text titles, as these can easily be confused for text quotes; instead, use underline if handwritten or italicise if typed reveals that love is a lens through which some of the characters, such as Romeo, Juliet, and Friar Lawrence, view the world, because it shapes their attitudes, values and beliefs. <-- explicitly refer to language, which the question specifies - like use of dramatic and literary techniques The characters Romeo, Juliet and Friar Lawrence are each examples of this point. Even though their individual outlooks are different, the characters share the fact that their worldview has been crafted through an experience with love. <-- really like this sentence This essay will highlight how composer William Shakespeare has used language forms and features, - in particular paradox, metaphor and personification, - to convey how Romeo, Juliet and Friar Lawrence view the world when influenced by love. It They remains particularly relevant when a worldview about love can create thematic exploration, - in this case social change and character development.
Strengths:
- Really like how you synthesised all three characters' individual experiences with one thing they have in common, rather than just discussing them as separate entities

- Make sure you explicitly address ALL aspects of the question in your thesis statement (which ideally should be the second sentence of your essay) and also my advice would be to include at least one key word from the question in each sentence of your essay to ensure you're ALWAYS answering the question
- Hopefully, you'll be doing this already, but ensure that you address multiple techniques (3-4) in each of your body paragraphs, and if you want to still talk about your main techniques (paradox, metaphor and personification respectively), you can still focus on them in their respective paragraphs

Hope your essay turns out to be a success, unlike the ending of this play did :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)