Coronavirus/Covid-19 Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Would you take a coronavirus vaccine if it was available to you, and if so which would you prefer?

• No

Votes: 18 11.8%
  • Any vaccine

Votes: 19 12.4%
  • Pfizer

Votes: 47 30.7%
  • Astra Zeneca

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Already vaccinated with AZ

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Already vaccinated with Pfizer

Votes: 60 39.2%
  • Moderna

• Sputnik

• Janssen

• Novavax

• Total voters
HSC
I've heard some parents have already booked their under 18s in for late September/early October in the hope they'd be eligible by then.

Moderna is pretty good, so wouldn't mind that if that was the option given to us.
I'm thinking of getting Novavax when it comes out. It seems like a good vaccine and is made the traditional way. I haven't heard much about Moderna but I think it is coming to Australia soon.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
5km radius for all Sydney for exercise purposes.

Fines increased to $5k.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
I'm thinking of getting Novavax when it comes out. It seems like a good vaccine and is made the traditional way. I haven't heard much about Moderna but I think it is coming to Australia soon.
FWIW, Novavax isn't expected to arrive until next year, long after the state government hopes to reduce restrictions.

That's also not factoring in booking delays, the 3 week gap and that it takes time after being vaccinated for the vaccines to become effective.

HSC
FWIW, Novavax isn't expected to arrive until next year, long after the state government hopes to reduce restrictions.

That's also not factoring in booking delays, the 3 week gap and that it takes time after being vaccinated for the vaccines to become effective.
That's a shame...

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Potentially controversial thought.

Does seem like the majority of complications for AZ seem to be for females.

Should we be having 40s to 60s men group getting AZ, whilst offering Pfizer for women only in this age group? Unless medical reasons apply.
Yes if there’s research done to find out why this is the case, and if the difference is big or small. It could also be that more females have gotten the vaccine than males, and iirc this is the case at least in the US by a pretty decent margin.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Yes if there’s research done to find out why this is the case, and if the difference is big or small. It could also be that more females have gotten the vaccine than males, and iirc this is the case at least in the US by a pretty decent margin.
Still looking for a reliable source for the breakdown on more serious side effect by sex/and age

There is a graph called "Doses by age and sex", and it seems at least in Australia the groups that initially had AZ, had a similar take uptake.

Although not peer-reviewed or scientific, middle-aged men reporting a greater willingness in Australia to take up AZ (the Guardian and possibly the SMH?) survey so potentially had a greater uptake of the AZ.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
This article by the Royal College of Australian General Practitioners
  1. "nearly half of the TTS cases in women have required treatment in intensive care, while four of the five TTS deaths have been female"
  2. Additionally, cases meeting the criteria for Tier 1, as defined by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) were also twice as likely to occur in women compared to men.
Still looking for a reliable source for the breakdown on more serious side effect by sex/and age

There is a graph called "Doses by age and sex", and it seems at least in Australia the groups that initially had AZ, had a similar take uptake.

Although not peer-reviewed or scientific, middle-aged men reporting a greater willingness in Australia to take up AZ (the Guardian and possibly the SMH?) survey so potentially had a greater uptake of the AZ.
This article by the Royal College of Australian General Practitioners seems to point that at least the TTS side effects seems to be more common, and serious in women.
  1. "nearly half of the TTS cases in women have required treatment in intensive care, while four of the five TTS deaths have been female"
  2. Additionally, cases meeting the criteria for Tier 1, as defined by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) were also twice as likely to occur in women compared to men.

A lot of countries don't do AZ for under 50s/or even 60s, so who knows if there is data that we can use to clearly see the effects.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
"
NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian said she was pleased with the announcement, saying the doses would be "going to good use".

"We will be targeting 16- to 39-year-olds in those local government areas of concern," she said.

"They are the ones that are mobile because of their work. They are the ones who cross three generations, and they are ones who were part of the 70 percent of cases we are currently experiencing in those most problematic areas.""

Good, finally.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Hopefully the bulk of it goes to retail workers, fast food workers, tradies, warehouse workers, truck drivers etc. that cant work from home.

I don't think allocating by LGA alone is the way to go about it. I bet this won't be the last deal like this though.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
I went for my pfizer last week and wasn't eligible apparently, so I got astrazeneca and felt a bit weak that night, but was all good (slight arm pain at the area).

Government dealt with this so badly and it's still kinda funny that cops are extremely extremely biased as you see with the vids of them issuing 0 fines in rich white privileged areas (Bondi), whereas if they see someone in the west, cya -$1000 from ur bank instantly

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Hopefully the bulk of it goes to retail workers, fast food workers, tradies, warehouse workers, truck drivers etc. that cant work from home.

I don't think allocating by LGA alone is the way to go about it. I bet this won't be the last deal like this though.
Yea in my opinion the LGA specific rules are so dumb because it's likely that the more relaxed LGAs are already infected, as cases have a week delay. However they wait till the outbreak becomes bad before increasing restrictions, but by then it's too late because there's a week delay and it has had almost a week to spread in that LGA.... Preventative should be better than reactive

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
I went for my pfizer last week and wasn't eligible apparently, so I got astrazeneca and felt a bit weak that night, but was all good (slight arm pain at the area).

Government dealt with this so badly and it's still kinda funny that cops are extremely extremely biased as you see with the vids of them issuing 0 fines in rich white privileged areas (Bondi), whereas if they see someone in the west, cya -$1000 from ur bank instantly
wahhhhh muh privilege wahhhhhhhh

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
I went for my pfizer last week and wasn't eligible apparently
Interesting, did you actually get a Pfizer booking and not get it? Officially the site is meant to block you from getting to the registration page if you aren't eligible, but I know people have bypassed that (sometimes by accident).

I got AZ a few days ago too, had a headache + fever/tiredness the next day.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Interestingly one of the vax places I have been looking at has updated Pfizer front page to "18-59 year-olds only".

Sounds like they've had people older than that trying to get Pfizer.

cosmo 2

the head cheese
HSC
lmao dis aint true, you dont have to pay them at all. just contest in court and it'll be like 5 years before it gets to the stage where a judge will make a ruling on it, and by that time they'll probably all be dismissed anyway. no one in victoria is paying the fines

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
I think, in principle, a protein based vaccine is probably more suitable for a young age group. The DNA & mRNA vaccines require the individual’s cells to make the protein, which turns those cells into potential targets of its own body’s immune system. The target cells are macrophages and dendritic cells, but it’s quite possible/?likely that other cells do take up some of the RNA/DNA which is probably how the adverse side effects occur. I suspect that the reported cases are at the serious end of the spectrum and I don’t know that anyone is actually investigating the frequency of sub clinical effects, so until there is data to exclude long term side effects, for the young and healthy (including my kids), I would probably agree that if a vaccine is required, protein based vaccines would be the best option.

Last edited:

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Interesting, did you actually get a Pfizer booking and not get it? Officially the site is meant to block you from getting to the registration page if you aren't eligible, but I know people have bypassed that (sometimes by accident).

I got AZ a few days ago too, had a headache + fever/tiredness the next day.
Yea I booked on the olympic park site and they check your eligiblity on the day just in case

HSC
I think, in principle, a protein based vaccine is probably more suitable for a young age group. The DNA & mRNA vaccines require the individual’s cells to make the protein, which turns those cells into potential targets of its own body’s immune system. The target cells are macrophages and dendritic cells, but it’s quite possible/?likely that other cells do take up some of the RNA/DNA which is probably how the adverse side effects occur. I suspect that the reported cases are at the serious end of the spectrum and I don’t know that anyone is actually investigating the frequency of sub clinical effects, so until there is data to exclude long term side effects, for the young and healthy (including my kids), I would probably agree that if a vaccine is required, protein based vaccines would be the best option.
Interesting... I will look into it.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)