Coronavirus/Covid-19 Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Would you take a coronavirus vaccine if it was available to you, and if so which would you prefer?

• No

Votes: 18 11.8%
  • Any vaccine

Votes: 19 12.4%
  • Pfizer

Votes: 47 30.7%
  • Astra Zeneca

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Already vaccinated with AZ

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Already vaccinated with Pfizer

Votes: 60 39.2%
  • Moderna

• Sputnik

• Janssen

• Novavax

• Total voters

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
Interesting... I will look into it.
The main down side of protein based vaccines (including all the routine childhood regimes) is that most/?all use aluminium to enhance the immune response and the central location of aluminium in amyloid plaques in the brain does beg the question whether this element, which has no known physiological function unlike half a dozen other metal ions, might contribute to cognitive decline in the elderly. Nevertheless, we have received all the other prescribed protein based vaccines to date and am inclined to wait for a protein based one for SARS-COV-2 to become available in Australia.

HSC
Which protein-based ones already exist (Novavax I think is one)?

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
Which protein-based ones already exist (Novavax I think is one)?
Sinovac & Sinopharm are both protein based but they are produced in China so a lot of Western countries won’t buy them. Novavax is produced in the US.

HSC
I don't think we'll be seeing either of those Chinese ones haha knowing China <-> Australia relations rn. We could be waiting until mid next year for Novavax too..

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
I don't think we'll be seeing either of those Chinese ones haha knowing China <-> Australia relations rn. We could be waiting until mid next year for Novavax too..
Unfortunately, I believe you are right. If they are serious about overcoming vaccine hesitancy, they should set aside political differences and allow the Chinese vaccines in as another option. Our supermarkets and shops are full of products from China.

Testing for SAR-COV-2 is now well organised and efficient. What they need next is widespread availability of serology testing which can determine whether individuals have protective levels of antibody to the virus.

Last edited:

dighead

HSC
Unfortunately, I believe you are right. If they are serious about overcoming vaccine hesitancy, they should set aside political differences and allow the Chinese vaccines in as another option. Our supermarkets and shops are full of products from China.
Even if there was no political issue between the countries, do you think many people in any western country will want a Chinese-made vaccine even if they were available? Dodgy B-grade toys from China are one thing, but vaccines from a country known not exactly known for their transparency and lack of credibility? Comparing apples to oranges here. Hell not even vaccines, good luck getting people from China to buying baby formula from their own country.

Last edited:

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Still looking for a reliable source for the breakdown on more serious side effect by sex/and age

There is a graph called "Doses by age and sex", and it seems at least in Australia the groups that initially had AZ, had a similar take uptake.

Although not peer-reviewed or scientific, middle-aged men reporting a greater willingness in Australia to take up AZ (the Guardian and possibly the SMH?) survey so potentially had a greater uptake of the AZ.
This is Interesting, I thought for sure it would’ve been the other way around.

Even if there was no political issue between the countries, do you think many people in any western country will want a Chinese-made vaccine even if they were available? Dodgy B-grade toys from China are one thing, but vaccines from a country known not exactly known for their transparency? Comparing apples to oranges here. Hell not even vaccines, good luck getting people from China to buying baby formula from their own country.
Yeah I can say I would not. Developed countries by far have better standards in general so I don’t think I would get a vaccine made by any country from that continent, unless it has been fully approved. There might be politics and money that play into western countries not approving those vaccines but I’d rather be safe than sorry.

I mean we’ve told our grandparents in India not to take the Indian made vaccine but instead to take AZ.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad

Testing for SAR-COV-2 is now well organised and efficient. What they need next is widespread availability of serology testing which can determine whether individuals have protective levels of antibody to the virus.
All the research that is coming out suggests that Chinese coronavirus vaccines are significantly less effective than the western developed versions. Given this, I do not think we should be allowing these vaccines in as an option.

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
All the research that is coming out suggests that Chinese coronavirus vaccines are significantly less effective than the western developed versions. Given this, I do not think we should be allowing these vaccines in as an option.
For the young & healthy, who have a high probability of overcoming COVID if infected, the benefit (efficacy) to risk (both short and long term) of the different vaccines should be carefully considered. Vaccine efficacy is also not evaluated in isolation from other factors. If the individual continues to observe physical distancing and good hygiene practices, the viral load on transmission would probably have some impact on whether the immune system is able to clear the virus before the aberrant responses are triggered. As such, a vaccine with a lower efficacy rate (for the overall population) but safer (or at least known) adverse reaction profile might be better for the young, who can always get the more experimental drug at a later date when more data has been collected.

Last edited:

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
For the young & healthy, who have a high probability of overcoming COVID if infected, the benefit (efficacy) to risk (both short and long term) of the different vaccines should be carefully considered
you're ignoring the part where vaccines help prevent transmission of the virus

Unfortunately, I believe you are right. If they are serious about overcoming vaccine hesitancy, they should set aside political differences and allow the Chinese vaccines in as another option.
Lol moronic. If people are unsure about getting a vaccine they sure as shit aren't going to be injecting themselves with chinese crap.

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
Lol moronic. If people are unsure about getting a vaccine they sure as shit aren't going to be injecting themselves with chinese crap.
Well, the original discussion wasn't so much about where the vaccines were made, but rather about the different types of vaccines and the mechanisms of their actions. Someone then asked about where protein vaccines were currently made. It would be great if western countries would show greater interest in producing protein based vaccines, but they seem wrapped up in the experimental idea that DNA & mRNA codes can be used like software, but the problem is that if other cells aren't excluded from uptake, then they do become targets. It may become a more important issue if the virus becomes endemic and repeated boosters are mandated annually.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
I don't think it's a China problem. As Blit has mentioned, SinoVac and the other Chinese vaccines just haven't had very high efficacy.

On the other hand, some other countries which don't have the China stigma have vaccines which have mostly been passed over by the west despite having promising efficacy.

Russia's Sputnik V viral vector vaccine seems to have some good ideas compared to AZ (e.g. using multiple viral vectors) and apparently doesn't cause TTS unlike AZ and J&J. But I believe it relied more on empirical results to prove its safety and efficacy than would be accepted in the West, and there's questions about if the countries it's been deployed in have robust enough healthcare systems to attribute TTS to the vaccine.

I don't know much about it, but I've also heard that Cuba have a few vaccines with promising efficacy too, and one is a protein subunit vaccine like Novavax. But as with Russia, I suspect their trials probably don't hold up to the kind of scrutiny that the FDA or TGA would apply.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Last edited:

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
I don't think it's a China problem. As Blit has mentioned, SinoVac and the other Chinese vaccines just haven't had very high efficacy.

On the other hand, some other countries which don't have the China stigma have vaccines which have mostly been passed over by the west despite having promising efficacy.

Russia's Sputnik V viral vector vaccine seems to have some good ideas compared to AZ (e.g. using multiple viral vectors) and apparently doesn't cause TTS unlike AZ and J&J. But I believe it relied more on empirical results to prove its safety and efficacy than would be accepted in the West, and there's questions about if the countries it's been deployed in have robust enough healthcare systems to attribute TTS to the vaccine.

I don't know much about it, but I've also heard that Cuba have a few vaccines with promising efficacy too, and one is a protein subunit vaccine like Novavax. But as with Russia, I suspect their trials probably don't hold up to the kind of scrutiny that the FDA or TGA would apply.
Cuba lmao

cosmo 2

the head cheese
HSC
duh

its inevitable lol

its gonna spread to animals if it hasnt already, wtf we gonna do kill all the animals like denmark did with their mink population?

its gonna come to that soon, theyre gonna start advocating for genocide of migratory water birds, save grandma punch an albatrosss

fmd they try to come after the pelicans ill be molotoving every cop car i fucken see

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)