Costs as a first year? (1 Viewer)

Sarebs

HSC
In light of the cost of living thread, I'd like to ask a more specific question. What costs do you encounter as a first year uni student? How much money did you need per week?

I can think of costs such as:
-Rent
-Phone/Internet
-Food
-Services
-Transport
-Going out
But I'm sure I'm overlooking a bunch.

Sarebs

HSC
Thank you, so now I have an idea of how much.

But, what expenses have I overlooked (except textbooks, and lab stuff)?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Also, don't forget general maintenance (like if stuff breaks in your house).

yer8899

HSC
man i played goon of fortune for days, then i passed out and vomited on the leather lounge and then my phone dropped in my puke and now its dead

David Spade

Banned
HSC
N/A
yeah new phones from when u drop/piss on/vomit on them

one every 3 months

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
When you are looking at costs of moving out and uni, its really important to make sure you have a few hundred just sitting in the bank for emergencies. It can be easy to just think that so long as you can just afford rent/food/bills/transport you'll be fine but the fact is if you end up needing money for anything else you can find yourself in a pretty tight spot.

EDIT: I'm guessing you're planning on moving out, have you thought about things like furniture and white goods? Furnished apartments can be really pricey.

Last edited:

David Spade

Banned
HSC
N/A
oh fuck yeah my 6300 just died too

i cried and had alittle memorial for it

the large dents and scratches in the steel was a testiment to the fact that you could throw it at a brick wall and it would be fine

it jsut didnt agree with being submerged in a river

Sarebs

HSC
When you are looking at costs of moving out and uni, its really important to make sure you have a few hundred just sitting in the bank for emergencies. It can be easy to just think that so long as you can just afford rent/food/bills/transport you'll be fine but the fact is if you end up needing money for anything else you can find yourself in a pretty tight spot.

EDIT: I'm guessing you're planning on moving out, have you thought about things like furniture and white goods? Furnished apartments can be really pricey.
If I go to UNSW, I'm set with a place in UNSW Village, so I won't need white goods, just little things like cutlery. But if I move to Canberra, yeah I will be getting white goods and all that stuff. So fingers crossed for UNSW.

Sarebs

HSC
unsw ftw

also, i dont think stationary (stationery?) has been mentioned.
Yeah Canberra ftl (hopefully!)

What kind of stationery things do uni students need? Do you write notes in books, or take a laptop to lectures? I really have no idea.

Btw, don't know if I'll be in the field of arts or science yet, so that could affect what I'd need.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
typically a lecture pad + pens should do. dont really need a laptop, really distracting.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
what tommy said.

doesnt make any difference if you're doing arts or science, exercise book and pens would be essential.

though a netbook might be handy if you can fork out $600, free high speed internet at unsw, but handwritten notes are probaby better than typed notes.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
only thing i use my laptop for nowadays is reading .pdf's whilst at uni so i don't have to print them out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)