Cramming success stories? (1 Viewer)

Okashi

HSC
Yeah I need some cramming success stories. Cramming atm and need some motivation.

Thanks

madharris

HSC
N/A
In year 10 I did french and had a speech the next day:
I wrote the speech using google translator (i think it was 600-700 words from memory)
I stayed up for about 4 hours trying to memorise it
I got 10/10 and had no idea what I was saying

In year 10 science we were given everything we needed for the science exam (there were 20 definitions, 3 'extended response' questions and we were told what the definitions and extended response questions were - there were also a few short answer responses that wee weren't told)
2 hours before the exam I freaked out that I hadn't studied, and freaked out that I didn't know anything
My friend helped me cram that morning, teaching me everything I needed to know
I ended up getting 90% (I think he got 85%) :)

In year 11 english, I memorised a prewritten essay the night before and got 16/20 (I know it's not that good but I still managed to do better than expected)

In year 11 geography, we were given the questions of our extended responses for our half yearly exam, I didn't prepare them at all. The morning before, I wrote and memorised 2 extended responses using my friends notes and got 17 an 18/20

Happy cramming :) - hopefully that was inspiring enough! :D

EDIT: next time don't cram though, actually consistently study! Trust me I was the biggest crammer from year 7-11! In year 7-10 it always worked in my favour! In year 11, it didn't work at all and failed a lot of things. So in year 12 I actually started consistently studying and actually ended up doing well! :) Good Luck!

Last edited:

planino

HSC
Make your own success story, starring you :)
(NTS: follow your own advice)

Obvious

HSC
Uni Grad
I crammed a good portion of the industrial chemistry, human story, and part of the search for better health electives on the day/night before the HSC exams. Internal marks saved my lazy ass, and I ended up with acceptable results for both.

Last edited:

WeaselPowa

HSC
In year 10 I did french and had a speech the next day:
I wrote the speech using google translator (i think it was 600-700 words from memory)
I stayed up for about 4 hours trying to memorise it
I got 10/10 and had no idea what I was saying
Good Luck!
I love this so much olololol

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I will give you the ultimate cramming story.

Yr 11 Economics we learnt nothing, like our class would get off tangent on our teacher's life stories and political opinions all the time. I was going to drop Economics so I wasn't really that phased.

For yearlies, I read the textbook cover to cover the night before-got 90% in exam and second overall for prelim eco.

The thing with cramming though, is that;
Never as guaranteed as consistent study
Some subjects are really, really hard to cram
It's normally 'good' 7-10, but in yr 11 you should wean yourself off it.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
It's normally 'good' 7-10, but in yr 11 you should wean yourself off it.
This. If you choose to go to uni there is probably a good chance you won't be able to cram like you could in school so wean yourself off it now! Courses like Law or Arts you have a tonne of readings you won't want to get behind on but i can't comment on their cram-ability. From experience a lot of STEM-field subjects are just impossible to effectively cram. There are also regular assesments at uni where having a good work ethic will be advantageous.

I'm a second year uni student and got through school with last minute cramming. I am still having difficulty getting a regular study pattern and it makes final exam period very stressful.

Capt Rifle

HSC
Lol I got full marks on my physics assessment task in preliminary. I pulled an all nighter, because I wanted to make this assessment task spectacular. I pumped epic music though, TSFH, Audiomachine etc.

SunnyScience

HSC
I stayed up till 5:30am finishing my Ancient History assessment due the same day.

8,000 words later...

100%.

Last edited:

enoilgam

HSC
This. If you choose to go to uni there is probably a good chance you won't be able to cram like you could in school so wean yourself off it now! Courses like Law or Arts you have a tonne of readings you won't want to get behind on but i can't comment on their cram-ability. From experience a lot of STEM-field subjects are just impossible to effectively cram. There are also regular assesments at uni where having a good work ethic will be advantageous.

I'm a second year uni student and got through school with last minute cramming. I am still having difficulty getting a regular study pattern and it makes final exam period very stressful.
This pretty much - there probably are success stories, but eventually it catches up with you, either during the HSC, uni or the workplace. You just have to get into the habit of being on top of things and once you do, you usually dont go back. Also, the more time goes by the harder it is to build such habits.

Seriously though I never understood the whole idea of cramming, it's so much more stressful that way.

Obvious

HSC
Uni Grad
This pretty much - there probably are success stories, but eventually it catches up with you, either during the HSC, uni or the workplace. You just have to get into the habit of being on top of things and once you do, you usually dont go back. Also, the more time goes by the harder it is to build such habits.

Seriously though I never understood the whole idea of cramming, it's so much more stressful that way.
I don't know about you, but it's practically unavoidable even if I study all semester.

Also, I almost never feel like I'm prepared the night before and end up going to bed late.

Last edited:

Sidekickk

HSC
You want motivation??!! Well here goes

Year 10 commerce- for yearlies, after doing virtually no work all year cos im lazy and my teacher was lax, i pulled allnighter cramming the textbook and ended up coming 3rd in my class (btw this is at a top selective school)
Year 11 economics assignment worth 20%- pulled allnighter doing it, thought i was gonna bomb looking at everyone else's well presented assignments the next morning, i ended up being the only one who got 20/20 in the cohort (best feeling eveerrr)
Year 12 physics- crammed like all my exams, including the hsc, i either slept at like 2-3am or not at all. i got 94 internal mark. for my hsc exam, i was cramming the whole elective module quanta to quarks on the morning of the exam (3am to be exact), pretty much rotelearned the bare minimum needed to answer the dotpoints and got 91 exam mark (not exceptional i know but woulda been much lower if i didnt force my brain to memorise the last module)

good times

fishrushed

HSC
I remember having a research task in prelim chem. Started the the day before and finished in a few hours. I remember making notes off Wikipedia (last resort D:) and from some other really random sources and somehow managed to top the class after losing a chunk of marks from citing my sources wrong ==

hoofheartedgirl

HSC
I memorise all my English essays the night before. It takes me max. 4 hours to memorise a 1200 word essay word for word. I still manage to get 20/20 for most of my English responses :)

louielouiee

louielouielouielouielouie
HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
Didn't make ANY notes for chemistry during the HSC.

Only did like 2-3 past papers before each block of exams for chemistry, nothing else. Maybe frantically flicking through my Conquering Chem book but that's it.

Come the actual HSC exam, BOOM! 82 examination mark.

Couldn't be happier!

Fuck you chemistry!

hayabusaboston

HSC
OK idk how the fuck this happened, but I didnt even actually put in an effort with this, I had my english belonging exam today (basically HSC paper 1 eng adv) and I had nothing yesterday, I wrote up a story and essay quickly and just read what I wrote a couple of times and was like "fuck it, I probs wont remember tomorrow. I suck at this cramming stuff." nek minnit, 12 pages in english exam, compared to average 6 or 7 for all my friends. Lawl. I somewhow remembered my entire essay as well as my entire creative. Somehow. Without even specifically roting it. I must have photographic memory or some shiz. Lawl jks just a fluke of associative memory i guess.

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
OK idk how the fuck this happened, but I didnt even actually put in an effort with this, I had my english belonging exam today (basically HSC paper 1 eng adv) and I had nothing yesterday, I wrote up a story and essay quickly and just read what I wrote a couple of times and was like "fuck it, I probs wont remember tomorrow. I suck at this cramming stuff." nek minnit, 12 pages in english exam, compared to average 6 or 7 for all my friends. Lawl. I somewhow remembered my entire essay as well as my entire creative. Somehow. Without even specifically roting it. I must have photographic memory or some shiz. Lawl jks just a fluke of associative memory i guess.
Don't buy into this story. You (haya) were relating to me on Skype how you've been preparing for AOS for three weeks.

Liar liar pants on fire.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)