Crappy maths textbook? (1 Viewer)

Memi

HSC
N/A
So my school provides us all with a Maths in Focus textbook but I have been informed that it is a crappy textbook. I also find the textbook quite easy, and I am really bad at Maths.

Is it worth it to go out and purchase another textbook? Or is Maths in Focus really not that mediocre?

Thankssss!

Tofuu

HSC
for the prelim course, i don't think you'll need other textbooks, instead try past papers from your school or other sources

i found Math in Focus pretty decent, but i have to agree that its a fairly easy textbook

that being said, if you want a harder textbook, go cambridge

Last edited:

Memi

HSC
N/A
Okay thanks for your input ^^;
I'll opt towards Cambridge if I really feel the need to then~

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I think get Fitzpatrick... Cambridge is too dense and the text is squished. Fitzpatrick is more spaced out and user-friendly, in my belief.

muzeikchun852

HSC
I think get Fitzpatrick... Cambridge is too dense and the text is squished. Fitzpatrick is more spaced out and user-friendly, in my belief.
i think is spaced out. one simple concept like the parabola, its seperate in 3-4 exericse..:sleep:

maths94

HSC
So my school provides us all with a Maths in Focus textbook but I have been informed that it is a crappy textbook. I also find the textbook quite easy, and I am really bad at Maths.

Is it worth it to go out and purchase another textbook? Or is Maths in Focus really not that mediocre?

Thankssss!
LOL i hav the same textbook

mioumiou

HSC

Thankssss!
Our school uses Maths in Focus as well. But our teacher will photocopy sheets from the Fitzpatrick book (some exercises only), Coroneos and some other random sheets. But personally, I've bought other maths textbooks like Fitzpatrick and Cambridge for extra challenging exercise because maths in Focus was fairly easy. (The challenging questions in there it's not even challenging). But Maths in Focus is a good book for understanding the concepts for the weaker students.

But if you want more challenging work, try Cambridge! :)

Klutsov

HSC
MIF isn't too bad for learning the basic concepts, but if you want a challenge, get Fitzpatrick

FTW

HSC
I also have maths in focus, its quite easy and not that in depth... Also the pages are really thin and easy to tear:uhoh:

Memi

HSC
N/A
Mmkays then. Are there any textbooks that encompass Preliminary past papers as I am finding it a tad difficult to locate past papers on this site related to my topics.

Judging by most people opinions, I'm supposing that I will survive Year 11 with MIF. ^___^!

mioumiou

HSC
Mmkays then. Are there any textbooks that encompass Preliminary past papers as I am finding it a tad difficult to locate past papers on this site related to my topics.

Judging by most people opinions, I'm supposing that I will survive Year 11 with MIF. ^___^!
From what I've known..... there's some sample papers in the Excel preliminary study guides. But you should ask you're teachers, they must have some past half yearly and yearly papers. Or you might be able to find SOME here on BOS. :)

icecubeX

HSC
Hmm... i use MIF, Fitzpatrick and Cambridge
If i'm a bit "iffy" on a topic i'll use MIF and then i just when i get more confident i switch to fitz or cambridge depending on the topic.
Past papers are good for revising all the topics at once and to see if your weak in a certain topic.

jasonn

HSC
maths in focus is the best textbook out there....

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Despite its fugliness, Coroenos FTW!

But Past papers > Coroneos^infinity when you've learnt everything ^^

**Maths in Focus is a good book if you are learning the basics, but otherwise it's way too simple.

Last edited:

Amogh

HSC
N/A
She means,
coroneos for learning
and once you're done understanding the concepts --> past papers pwn

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)