Cricket Season 2007/2008 (1 Viewer)

shantu1992

HSC
great test match and great series.
everyone has to admit that
some great individual performances
and great sportsmanship
went to day one at the scg
looks like the mexican wave might be un-banned and the beer snakes.
haha love it
and great to see smith go out there today at number 11
added spice to the game

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
I will throw it out there that Ponting would not have come into bat in the same situation as Smith. He just does not have the ticker.

Great batsmen, woeful captain. He has fast bowlers at his disposal and 3 overs to go facing a batsmen playing with one hand and he hands the ball to Nathan Hauritz!

HSC
whatashotbyseve said:
I will throw it out there that Ponting would not have come into bat in the same situation as Smith. He just does not have the ticker.
yeah i was thinking the exact same thing yesterday
i think the fact he wasnt willing to not play in the 1st new zealand test match in order to most probably save the indian series with the overrate thing shows that to me.
i wouldn't call him a woefull captain though. his still learninghow to captain a team without the likes of warne and mcgrath. just remember all throughout his captaincy, if the team was in trouble he could just throw the the ball and more often than not they'd get the breakthrough. i reckon steve waugh woulda struggled in pontings current situation.

but what a ripper from johnson to get smith, even if was injured.

shantu1992

HSC
great to see david warner in the twenty twenty squad
grew up with him in the eastern suburbs
great talent

Mozza91

HSC
whatashotbyseve said:
You that for a fact do you ?

Mozza91

HSC
whatashotbyseve said:
Obviously not.

Hence why i said I would throw it out there.

You are welcome to disagree.
I don't know if he would but what Smith did showed his character even though the test was a dead rubber.
I think alot of the criticism Ponting recieves is unjust he's been a teriffic captain with a great record but they've lost great players the success was never going to continue, people are so qucik to criticise him and don't mention the good things he does like the timing of the declaration in the Sydney test and his choosing to go with Johnson as opposed to Clarke and both plans worked.

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
People (like me) are quick to criticise him because frankly some of his tactics are un-Australian - a blanket of conservatism.

The final test in India was a classic case in point - when you bowl your spinners just to avoid missing a test against New Zealand reserves you lose all respect in my book.

My major criticism of Ponting is that he doesn't have a Plan B - when something goes wrong, he just cannot stem the tide. Even the last session in Sydney is a case in point - Ntini bats more than 20 balls and Ponting has no idea how to combat it. So he bowls Hauritz, the least threatening bowler in test history. Thank fuck for Mitchell Johnson is all I will say.

Last edited:
HSC
bigb0yjames said:
meh, i srsly stopped watching all forms of cricket when Shane warne retired. its just not the same thing. does any body feel the same way as i do? its just boring to watch Australia bowl. when warney used to bowl id make sure id watch his over no matter what. you just never knew what could happen.....oh well....
warney was the most exciting bowler 2 watch, wen he had a spell i used to watch his over and then go 2 the loo or get somthin 2 eat in the other blokes over.just in time 2 com bak and watch his again.
cricket is dead boring without him

HSC
bigb0yjames said:
meh, i srsly stopped watching all forms of cricket when Shane warne retired. its just not the same thing. does any body feel the same way as i do? its just boring to watch Australia bowl. when warney used to bowl id make sure id watch his over no matter what. you just never knew what could happen.....oh well....
warney was the most exciting bowler 2 watch, wen he had a spell i used to watch his over and then go 2 the loo or get somthin 2 eat in the other blokes over.just in time 2 com bak and watch his again.

cricket is dead boring without him

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
Correct decision by Hayden. He displays the timing so often seen by him on the field during a superb career.

Plus, anyone who calls dirty Singh an obnoxious little weed will always be remembered fondly.

monesh

HSC
would have been better if haydos went out with a 100 rather then <150 in in five matches :(

shantu1992

HSC
u-borat said:
you would have been in year 1 when he was in year 6?

uhh.
yeah something like that
didnt know him much when i was little
only started hanging out with him and playing cricket
when me n his good mate luke were in the same greenshields side and yeah he came to the games so yeaah

Roy9

HSC
Exphate said:
Hayden should of gone Pre-India. Thank fuck he's gone now.

New test openner?
Highest scoring opening batsman in history.... What's with all the Hayden haters?

I think Hayden retired mainly because he wanted to do it on his own terms, rather than get dropped. If he got a ton in his last innings I don't think he would've called it quits.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)