• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Cronulla Beach Incident (1 Viewer)

malkin86

HSC
katie_tully said:
God damn you. It's an assumption! Idiots will wear "Ethnic Cleansing" t shirts. People who honestly want the violence to stop will congregate together peacefully. I don't get where the double standards are coming from kids.
It's okay to rally in large numbers for the rights of Indigenous Australians, it's okay to rally against VSU, it's okay to rally in favour of gays rights, yet it's automatically neo nazi politics if white Australians protest agaisnt ethnic gangs?
Double standards? I feel that the tension is too high for any kind of peace rally atm. The mob would turn on the peace rally people, even as they have turned on the ambos and police.

It's all about the intentions of both the mob, and also each individual in the mob - it's an iffy business, no matter what the issue is, but when it started with violence, it can only tip the odds in favour of violence.
I suppose that all the "White Power" people have been absorbed by the violent mob by now.

stainmepink

HSC
Henry_Kissinger said:
You do that, you will smash up a lot of non-leb cars.

If this shit spreads to Lakemba, then I will grab my grandfather's shotgun and shoot anyone I see.

Leb, Aussie - I don't care. Both groups make good fertiliser.
i doubt it would spread to Lakemba. Its really a small thing blown out of proportion.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
gobaby said:
i do know that happened. But what result are you going to get if you participate in a rally at Cronulla this Sunday? Are you going to get "back at the Lebs?" Or are you going to create and sustain the "yobbo" mentality out there? You've effectively brought the "yobbo" idea to the medias attention. Do you want Australians to be branded yobbos?
The more attention it gets the better chance of some new laws. But I'm starting to think that might not happen unless someone overthrows this state government who have absolutely no idea how to run things.

Jordan.J

HSC
N/A
Some responses in here have been disgusting

No one should be justifying any of this

malkin86

HSC
They're getting no, or next to no, help from the federal govt.. not that they should get resources yet or anything, but moral support would be highly appreciated, I'm sure.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
gobaby said:
That is really sad though. How would you feel if you are indeed of middle eastern decent in Australia? I thought we were all for "fair go". If you do support the "white movement", all you are doing is creating a bad name for urself, fueling the media prejudice and unstabling Cronulla's attractive tourist qualities.
even if i was middle eastern i would act aussie, or atleast not dresss and act like a typical leb with the track suit pants and tough image.

i dont think middle eastern people that integrated into australia properly and are not hanging around in gangs will anything to worry about. .

i am not saying they have to walk around wearing an aussie flag all the time, but changing theri attitude and act intimidating while in groups would be a good change.

Jordan.J

HSC
N/A
Treat us like dogs and we'll bite back
Email Print Normal font Large font December 13, 2005

Young Lebanese Australians now feel they are second-class citizens, writes Roland Haddad.

How complicated things have become! It used to be that the only thing we had to think about when going out for the night with my mates was the destination.

But now, being Lebanese has changed that; a night out involves planning, preparation and strategy. My friends, cousins and I have to consider location, numbers, male-female ratio and grooming.

It is well known that there are clubs and bars in Sydney that do their best to keep Middle Easterners (specifically Lebs) out. There are justified reasons to keep out certain individuals because of their behaviour, but not an entire ethnic group.

Reasons for refusal can range from the understandable, such as the group being too big, to the utterly ridiculous, such as having an unacceptable haircut.

A friend, Angela, told me yesterday: "We were in a racially mixed group of six people and tried entering this club, and the only one refused was our Lebanese friend. The reason given was he had an unacceptable haircut, the same haircut as the other guys in the group."

When I was in my teens, race meant nothing. I had mates from all sorts of backgrounds - Lebanese, Australian, Greek, Italian, Indian, South American - and the only things that mattered were shared interests such as football and movies. It was a time of appreciation, like the day I discovered sausage sizzles. As we grew older, we discovered girls.

How things have changed! I am now in my mid 20s and we are witnessing some of the country's worst race riots.

It didn't happen overnight; these tensions have been simmering for years. It is impossible to pinpoint exactly when things changed but the Bilal Skaf gang rapes in 2000 surely fuelled the fire.

I was at university at the time. Being the only Middle Easterner on my course, I was already feeling uneasy. After the gang rapes I became a pariah.

Many of my classmates - Anglo-Saxon mostly - became stand-offish. It only made me feel more uneasy. It was around this time I began to notice the change in attitude at hotels and clubs. Young Lebanese men were no longer welcome.

Last Saturday night, after our staff Christmas party, some friends and I met for a few more drinks. It was still early - about midnight - and a group of 10 (five males, five females) was turned away from at least four venues.

The reasons were varied - they were closing soon; a guest list only, due to Christmas parties; too many guys; not enough females. With every refusal it was obvious to us that the real reason was we were Lebanese. I am not being paranoid, because it has happened many times before. We could see it in the faces of the bouncers. It leaves a foul taste in your mouth. It is no wonder that people feel bitter, resentful and angry. "We're dogs in this country," one of my mates said.

I agree. It makes you feel like a second-class citizen, and that is why the tension exists.

Although they are partly responsible for the perception society has of them, my generation of Middle Eastern people feel they have something to prove. I don't always agree with their methods but I certainly understand the motive.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national...-well-bite-back/2005/12/12/1134236005929.html

iamsickofyear12

HSC
They are more than partly responsilbe for their reputation and if they continue to act the way they are they will always be second class citizens.

stainmepink

HSC
SashatheMan said:
even if i was middle eastern i would act aussie, or atleast not dresss and act like a typical leb with the track suit pants and tough image.

i dont think middle eastern people that integrated into australia properly and are not hanging around in gangs will anything to worry about. .

i am not saying they have to walk around wearing an aussie flag all the time, but changing theri attitude and act intimidating while in groups would be a good change.

I think they are having a good try at integrating into Australia. They speak English, and most of them are quite friendly and intelligent. They are giving it a go. I understand the Cronulla beach motive, although i don't support it.

HSC
N/A
gobaby said:
I think they are having a good try at integrating into Australia. They speak English, and most of them are quite friendly and intelligent. They are giving it a go. I understand the Cronulla beach motive, although i don't support it.
lebanese friendly and intelligent?

dude, they have an average IQ of 80.

Jordan.J

HSC
N/A
iamsickofyear12 said:
They are more than partly responsilbe for their reputation and if they continue to act the way they are they will always be second class citizens.
To me racists like you are second class citizens

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Jordan.J said:
Treat us like dogs and we'll bite back
Email Print Normal font Large font December 13, 2005

Young Lebanese Australians now feel they are second-class citizens, writes Roland Haddad.

How complicated things have become! It used to be that the only thing we had to think about when going out for the night with my mates was the destination.

But now, being Lebanese has changed that; a night out involves planning, preparation and strategy. My friends, cousins and I have to consider location, numbers, male-female ratio and grooming.

It is well known that there are clubs and bars in Sydney that do their best to keep Middle Easterners (specifically Lebs) out. There are justified reasons to keep out certain individuals because of their behaviour, but not an entire ethnic group.

Reasons for refusal can range from the understandable, such as the group being too big, to the utterly ridiculous, such as having an unacceptable haircut.

A friend, Angela, told me yesterday: "We were in a racially mixed group of six people and tried entering this club, and the only one refused was our Lebanese friend. The reason given was he had an unacceptable haircut, the same haircut as the other guys in the group."

When I was in my teens, race meant nothing. I had mates from all sorts of backgrounds - Lebanese, Australian, Greek, Italian, Indian, South American - and the only things that mattered were shared interests such as football and movies. It was a time of appreciation, like the day I discovered sausage sizzles. As we grew older, we discovered girls.

How things have changed! I am now in my mid 20s and we are witnessing some of the country's worst race riots.

It didn't happen overnight; these tensions have been simmering for years. It is impossible to pinpoint exactly when things changed but the Bilal Skaf gang rapes in 2000 surely fuelled the fire.

I was at university at the time. Being the only Middle Easterner on my course, I was already feeling uneasy. After the gang rapes I became a pariah.

Many of my classmates - Anglo-Saxon mostly - became stand-offish. It only made me feel more uneasy. It was around this time I began to notice the change in attitude at hotels and clubs. Young Lebanese men were no longer welcome.

Last Saturday night, after our staff Christmas party, some friends and I met for a few more drinks. It was still early - about midnight - and a group of 10 (five males, five females) was turned away from at least four venues.

The reasons were varied - they were closing soon; a guest list only, due to Christmas parties; too many guys; not enough females. With every refusal it was obvious to us that the real reason was we were Lebanese. I am not being paranoid, because it has happened many times before. We could see it in the faces of the bouncers. It leaves a foul taste in your mouth. It is no wonder that people feel bitter, resentful and angry. "We're dogs in this country," one of my mates said.

I agree. It makes you feel like a second-class citizen, and that is why the tension exists.

Although they are partly responsible for the perception society has of them, my generation of Middle Eastern people feel they have something to prove. I don't always agree with their methods but I certainly understand the motive.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national...-well-bite-back/2005/12/12/1134236005929.html
What the fuck is with this second class citizen bullshit?
The lebanese who are causing this violence, and who cause the violence that plagues the streets of many sydney suburbs are to blame for any racial-profiling which has been done to the dismay of other lebanese.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Jordan.J said:
To me racists like you are second class citizens
I'm not trying to be a racist. I have no problem with the lebanese people who have integrated and are happy to be australia. My problem is with the ones causing the problems.

stainmepink

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
Yeah ... its sad because the number of people who act irresponsibly don't represent the majority of Lebanese citizens. I'm not screaming the racist card, although i feel a bit sad this is happening. More understanding and exposure of the Lebanese is needed. The ideal situation is for Lebanese to lie low, live through this and not retaliate.

stainmepink

HSC
Henry_Kissinger said:
lebanese friendly and intelligent?

dude, they have an average IQ of 80.
where is the source? and how do you know? can you back that up?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Yea but in clubs etc, it is a private business... they just want to keep violence out of their club and if they have found that lebanese cause alot of shit, then perhaps they're right to be a little suspicious of the next lebanese guy to ask for entry?

stainmepink

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
I'm not trying to be a racist. I have no problem with the lebanese people who have integrated and are happy to be australia. My problem is with the ones causing the problems.
i totally understand that.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Let me clarify my point some more...
Although it sux that innocent people miss out due to the actions of others, that is a necessary sacrafice in order to make everyone else safer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)