Cumberland 2006- Who's starting? (1 Viewer)

kaitie

the evenstar
HSC
oh well. i'm sure if i pay attention i'll survive.
who's looking forward to O day?
i'm a bit freaked but looking forward to starting something new:)

salsydney

HSC
gemmi said:
hey, im in year 12 and thinking of studying occupational therapy, nursing or speech pathology. what do you recon about these courses? cos i know im interested in the health sciences but i need sum guidance..lol
what exactly do you want to know about Speech Path? I'm a 3rd year speechie, which makes me the oldest speech path student on here :wave: :worried:

The degree I can tell you, is an absolute bitch. It's very difficult, and very demanding. You will have easy subjects along the way (a lot of the psych subjects are pretty breazy), but the speech path ones are so bloody hard, as well as the bio ones, that you'll feel pretty overwhelmed at times. First year is all theoretical stuff: you do pracs involving cadavers, which is often a surprise to speechies. You do a few psych subjects, a few bio subjects (neuro, speech science, hearing science), and they get progressively harder. 2nd yr neurobio is by far the hardest subject i've had to do in my life. You start doing some clinical subjects in 1st year, 2nd sem, namely Professional Development I.... prof dev is a crock of shit, and you do the same shit every semester till you graduate. But you have to write your name on the roll every week, so it actually gets the biggest turn out ;)
Second year is where Speech Path takes a turn for the worse.... Clinical really starts then. As long as you pass your subjects in first year, namely Linguistics, Speech Science etc, you'll start clinic in 1st sem, 2nd yr... you are partnered with a 4th year for the 1st semester, and you see a real, paying client, each week, and you do speech therapy with them. 2nd sem, 2nd year, they've been playing around with the system, but basically you get partnered again with a 4th yr, but this time, you do almost all of the work, especially the practical side of things. And let me warn you, there is a shitload of paperwork. And then 3rd year starts, and this year, I'm expected to do everything on my own, with a staff member supervising me. And then 4th year, you spend 6 months on campus, partnered with 2nd yr students, and then 6 months off campus, where you do 2 6-week placements, one in a school surrounding, one in a hospital.

As for what speech paths do... the main areas are: articulation, phonology (i.e. sounds), voice, fluency (i.e. stuttering), neuro stuff (mainly speech problems after some kind of stroke), swallowing, feeding, and language (usually school aged stuff). So its a very big field, lots of different areas to work in. Speech Path's are often based in community health centres, private clinics, hospitals, and within the school system.

Hope that helps!

nik_noodle

HSC
kaitie said:
oh well. i'm sure if i pay attention i'll survive.
who's looking forward to O day?
i'm a bit freaked but looking forward to starting something new:)
Hey, best advice I can give you about O Day...talk to EVERYONE. Even if ur shy and nervous (everyone is) just make a point of smiling and saying hello to people. The majority of ppl u meet wont be in your course, but you end up seeing them around campus all the time thru the year anyway (plus in heaps of 1st yr lectures) so its really useful to have a heap of ppl to talk to.

Funny tho, the first group of ppl i met in my course are now my really good friends there. And i met them on O-Day, so its a great day!

franklin265

HSC
i made heaps of friends during the bridging course! some in my course, but the majority not. everyone just talks to anyone so it's great!

sakura_05

HSC
I was wondering what do we need to bring on O-day. Is it just our student compulsory subscription receipt and our student id?

kaitie

the evenstar
HSC
i really have no idea what to bring- doesn't that thing we got from the uni at enrolment tell us? actually no i don't think it does. what do we bring?:p

salsydney

HSC
sakura_05 said:
I was wondering what do we need to bring on O-day. Is it just our student compulsory subscription receipt and our student id?
that'll do.... i wouldn't even stress if you forgot your receipt, but yeh, bring both those things...

franklin265

HSC
hey, during our o-day, do we pick up our rewards card? or is it during our first day of uni? also, where do we pick it up from? i know i-point, but i don't know where that is? is it near the jvd food court?

ick. too many questions. sorry

:$

salsydney

HSC
im pretty sure u can pick it up on o-day... when is o-day anyway, thursday?
no idea wtf i-point is... anyways, u should be able to get it from the CSG, which is above the jdv cafe, and store... the ramp starts near the food court.... im PRETTY sure u get it from there, thats where i always get mine from... dont stress if u dont get it FIRST DAY, but definitely dont buy any textbooks until you've got it.

kaitie

the evenstar
HSC
okay- i already got given a timetable for semester 1 2006 at enrolment and i just logged on to check my timetable then and it's got different things on it.
lots of the lectures say Week 1-13 some say Week 2 and one says Week 2,4,6-7,9,10
what the hell?
So i only have to attend some classes on one specific week?
This makes no sense to me. Well done Usyd for making my timetable completely not understandable.

nik_noodle

HSC
yeah not all lectures or tutes or whatever are on every week. But you'll find out a lot more about it (and it should make a lot more sense) when you attend your first lecture for each subject and you get a Unit of Study outline :)

As for picking up ur CSG card, i got mine on the first day of uni from the CSG office, up the ramp next to Bite Me.

If u have any problems or get lost or whatever on campus, give us a call/txt 0403810569 I'm gonna be there all day Monday & I'm gonna be very very bored cause I don't actually have any lectures til 1pm that day. And even then its only Med Science with the same arogant guy we had last semester :(

Skeeta

HSC
the csg has moved. Its now downstairs under the JDV cafe (or at least where u pick the cards up from)

i have no idea why

sakura_05

HSC
Is the bus service going to be operating tomorrow?? One more question, i think i'm gonna be late for the official welcome -_- , would i miss out on something really important? I'll probably be 15 mins late max.
Sorry for so many questions.

kaitie

the evenstar
HSC
im sure you'll be fine just as long as you get there for ur course orientated stuff-

im not sure about the bus cos im driving
:S

nik_noodle

HSC
sakura_05 said:
Is the bus service going to be operating tomorrow?? One more question, i think i'm gonna be late for the official welcome -_- , would i miss out on something really important? I'll probably be 15 mins late max.
Sorry for so many questions.
Bus should be running.

Wouldn't worry about being late to the welcome, either don't go to it, or go up the stairs and sneak in the back. the doors should be open so it shouldnt be a problem :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)