• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Dear Malcolm Turnbull: Take on Krudd or move aside and let someone else do the job (1 Viewer)

Should MT stay on as the opposition leader?

• Yes...just give him some time, he will do us good

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • No...there are obvious conflicting views...peronal vs party line

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Dont care. Both parties are shit and if in power the coalition would have Fd us over

Votes: 13 44.8%

• Total voters
HSC
N/A
It seams to me that poor old Malcolm is facing a personal battle. Only a few years ago he was pushing the governmnet to do something about climate change and even today he wants something done about it. Problem is that his views are conflicting with the party line.

Look, Malcolm is probably a good bloke, but he should no way agree with the governments climate change BS. If he is going to make deals with Krudd against the party line he is better of sitting in the back bench and letting the big boys tackle communist Rudd.

David Spade

Banned
HSC
N/A
Re: Dear Malcolm Turnbull: Take on Krudd or move aside and let someone else do the jo

nah let me do it

absorber

HSC
Re: Dear Malcolm Turnbull: Take on Krudd or move aside and let someone else do the jo

he's the most liberal of the ironically-named liberals, and I think he's the only real chance at leader. He's intelligent, charismatic and exercises reasonably good policies in comparison to his liberal counterparts. Not that I'd vote for him, but that's just a matter of principle for me

Lentern

HSC

It seams to me that poor old Malcolm is facing a personal battle. Only a few years ago he was pushing the governmnet to do something about climate change and even today he wants something done about it. Problem is that his views are conflicting with the party line.

Look, Malcolm is probably a good bloke, but he should no way agree with the governments climate change BS. If he is going to make deals with Krudd against the party line he is better of sitting in the back bench and letting the big boys tackle communist Rudd.
Big boys? Talk about cowards, when Howard/Costello/Downer and co were bringing in an ETS in the previous government Minchin and co were silent. Now against a less experienced parliamentarian as liberal leader they all crawl out of the woodwork like the worms they are. Howard wouldn't cave in to the party like that and nor should Turnbull.

absorber

HSC

lol I didn't read this properly. COMMUNIST? Are you INSANE?

Rudd must be the most conservative labour PM in a long time, if not ever. Surely you must acknowledge therefore a lack of left thinking

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC

it's really hard to say. this was a terrible thing to do really.

i mean, he's got some great views (compared to other mainstream politicians) and would be a million times better than Krudd, but there's no way I think he could get elected, so it's probably not worth keeping him as leader

he's the most liberal of the ironically-named liberals

The liberal party is called the liberal party as in classical liberalism you moron.

lol I didn't read this properly. COMMUNIST? Are you INSANE?
Rudd must be the most conservative labour PM in a long time, if not ever. Surely you must acknowledge therefore a lack of left thinking
Socially conservative, maybe.

However, he would have to be the most fiscally liberal PM since like, forever lol

Last edited:

kelraldo

HSC

I'm a labour party supporter so l'd rather Malcolm stay leader as he hasn't done a very good job so far.

Fish Tank

That guy
HSC

I want Johnny back :p

Anonymous-

Banned
HSC
N/A

lol turn a bulll

redmayne

HSC

The liberal party is called the liberal party as in classical liberalism you moron.
Yeah, and? That doesn't change the fact that, contextually, it's an ironic name. Doesn't change that at all.

In my opinion they shouldn't be allowed the name these days, it sounds too positive. They should be the Christian Conservative Party, if the name were to represent their dominant views.

Socially conservative, maybe.

However, he would have to be the most fiscally liberal PM since like, forever lol
The PM is really, really socially conservative.

Turnbull approached Labor first, doesn't exactly say much for his allegiance to the Libs and their ideals. I seriously don't think it would be that weird if Rudd and Turnbull were in each other's parties.

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC

Hey guys i'm starting a Marxist Party up in Blacktown if youse wanna join contact me by pm. Karl Marx shall not be forgotten. Power to the people!

incentivation

Hmmmmm....
HSC
N/A

In my opinion they shouldn't be allowed the name these days, it sounds too positive. They should be the Christian Conservative Party, if the name were to represent their dominant views.
What rubbish. You are reading far too much Mike Carlton or Peter Hartcher.

The christian right represents a small minority within the organisation, particularly the parliamentary party. The likes of Abbott and Andrews would not have been considered leadership material without the division in the party over the ETS.

This speech from George Brandis, although long, is quite interesting.
We believe: the Liberal party and the liberal cause | The Australian

I would argue that despite more prevalent social conservatism in recent times, the centrality of freedom to the philosophy of the party remains; it just needs to be rearticulated and reformulated. Having said this, the fusion of the conservative and liberal causes shouldn't preclude the party from utilising the liberal name.

Teclis

The White Tower of Hoeth, Saphery, Ulthuan
HSC

The Liberal ship is sinking, so there's no point in letting its talent like Hockey take it down. Turnbull will lose this election, and then Hockey will assume leadership soon after the next election. The Rudd-Gillard leadership will be found out and Hockey will naturally be seen as the best alternative.

Hockey has charisma, charm and unlike Rudd and Turnbull, he can engage meaningfully with average members of the community without having to don a fucking builders helmet.

This is how I see it panning out.
If Hockey becomes Prime Minister, I will SERIOUSLY consider moving to New Zealand...............:vcross:

Not even joking...

Kevin Rudd is a moderate Labour member
Malcom Turnbull is a moderate Liberal member

So they met on middle ground. The safe, and what I think to be very smart and intelligent ground. The one that is influenced more by reason than party lines and politics.

I have little love for either party, both being pathetic lackies of big business (yes trade Unions are just a business) with one class as their main focus.

But moderate sense is good for the country.

JonathanM

Antagonist
HSC

So they met on middle ground. The safe, and what I think to be very smart and intelligent ground. The one that is influenced more by reason than party lines and politics.
ETS - the safe, very smart, intelligent choice, backed by reason and logic.

lol.

ashie0

world
HSC
N/A

Hockey, Turnbull and Abbot are all cunted wankers and are perfectly suited to leading the liberal party.

David Spade

Banned
HSC
N/A

and the country in general

except abbot cos hes a dickhead

he will be deputy

redmayne

HSC

What rubbish. You are reading far too much Mike Carlton or Peter Hartcher.

The christian right represents a small minority within the organisation, particularly the parliamentary party. The likes of Abbott and Andrews would not have been considered leadership material without the division in the party over the ETS.

This speech from George Brandis, although long, is quite interesting.
We believe: the Liberal party and the liberal cause | The Australian

I would argue that despite more prevalent social conservatism in recent times, the centrality of freedom to the philosophy of the party remains; it just needs to be rearticulated and reformulated. Having said this, the fusion of the conservative and liberal causes shouldn't preclude the party from utilising the liberal name.
Mike Carlton...ew. Don't think so. But yeah Hartcher's pretty good sometimes.

The Christian right in the Liberal Party is really quite powerful. They have so much influence in the party. Minchin (Senate leader), Abbott (minister), Hockey (minister), Abetz (spokesman), Andrews (knob). They're all very senior, and there's many others as well. Whatever their numbers are, they have disproportionate influence within the party. Up until a little while ago, it's been shaped for 15 years by John Howard, as conservative as they come.

Please don't call the Liberal Party actually liberal. They're not. If you must, use classical liberalism, but today's liberalism is not at all what the party stands for.

I can't say I have a lot of respect for Brandis. He seriously compared the Greens to the Nazis and wanted to ban a book coz it bagged Menzies... Although I can't fault him for the "lying rodent" line. That was quite special.

Look I tried to read it, I really did. But man he goes on, and on, and on. But I got the gist. I know what he's saying, and yeah I don't disagree at all. Economically liberal and socially conservative. But I hardly think economic policy justifies the name. After all, until John Howard, both parties' spending was more or less the same.

I stand by my sweeping statement!
Christian Conservative Party. Much better.

Lentern

HSC

Hockey is not some evangelical Christian nutter in the fred nile form you goose. After Turnbull and Pyne Hockey is probably the most progressive man to hold a position on the frontbench since the Howard era. He is the one that threatened to resign if the Howard government returned to the original workchoices legislation once he became the minister for that portfolio. He is also one of the three coalition MP's whom had the courage to advise Howard to resign in 2007. Lumping him in the same group as Andrews, Abbott and Minchin is nuts. You might as well lump Mark Latham together with Stephen Smith, Wayne Swan and Stephen Conroy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)