Did anyone do the Duke of Edinburgh? (1 Viewer)

iNerd

Banned
HSC
i started but didn't finish
cause i moved schools, during the time i was completing it
and a part of me regrets that i can't complete it. =[

kara42

HSC
I started it... did my 2 hikes but never finished the rest of it.
It's awesome though, really fun and really memorable - if you make it that way.

If I ever continue with it I will get fit first so that I'm not dying next time.

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
I started this, but cbf finishing it, i have no interest in sleeping on bare ground and shitting in man made holes...

simoneblack

HSC
Hey I am kinda new to posting on this site
I am doing my gold and looking for residential project ideas. Anyone have any good ones? I am doing HSC this year so I don't have much time. Needa finish gold by September, too.
Thanks! :)

Stoogey

HSC
lol im just not an outdoors-campsy type of person :)
Yeah, fair enough. Most kids these days aren't outdoors type people anyway, which i find a big waste cause australia is such a good place to go outdoors/camping/fishing etc, but thats just me and my 10 years of scouting experience speaking :haha:

spazamataz

HSC
Heaps of kids from my school did it, but most are yet to finish it. We did two walks, one in the Royal National Park, which was awesome, except some kid from another school started a fight, and one near Batemans Bay, which almost killed me. You have to be dedicated and be with good people to do it! Oh yeah and a lot of the people who did it are now leaders at my school.

vdn23a

HSC
mate it was awesome, toughest thing ever, but once u complete it, it feels awesome =)

renny 123

HSC
I just finished my gold, we went to tasmania.
I did it with some of my best friends and we had so much fun. It was hard but definately worth it. Some of my best and most entertaining memories are from Duke :)

distract718

HSC
hey, im in yr 11 and i want to go for bronze, u guys think i'll be able to complete it before yr 12?

pman

Banned
HSC
hey, im in yr 11 and i want to go for bronze, u guys think i'll be able to complete it before yr 12?
I started it when i was in yr 10, many of our group were in yr 11 at the time, the finished at we all had a blast...Only thing is, You need to be physically fit to do it, We had one chick with asthma that almost had attacks on both hikes...I ended up losing my phone because her pack knocked it out of my pocket!!!

The hardest thing about it is the paper work though

bouncing

HSC
also, lol at the title of the thread, did anyone do the duke of edinburgh?

that's kinda gross, cause he's about sixty. [no idea of his actual age, but i presume old] haha.
LOLOLOLOL :D
nice

do it! its fun and challenging...
i havent finished yet but i plan to!
alsoi heard that some uni's give you extra points if you do such activities :) so yeah

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
also, lol at the title of the thread, did anyone do the duke of edinburgh?

that's kinda gross, cause he's about sixty. [no idea of his actual age, but i presume old] haha.
He was born on the 10th June, 1921 so he will be 89 this year. He is the oldest consort of a monarch and has been consort for longer than any other consort in History (yes I know the Queen Mum was older when she died but she ceased being a consort of a reigning monarch aged 51).

infatuated-x3

Procrastinator
HSC
Surprised that nobody has mentioned it but having Duke of Edinburgh on your resume makes it look an infinite times better, provided that the employer knows what Duke of Ed is.

Also, it opens up so much more leadership opportunities and makes you stand out from the many people who haven't done Duke of Ed.

I honestly regret not doing Silver award in year 10 :mad1: I've been wanting to apply for NYSF (National Youth Science Forum) which requires an interview process and apparently, you have a pretty good chance of being chosen to attend if you did/do Duke of Ed. There goes my luck :(

hiimhere11

HSC
I'm in yr 12 and just completed the Duke of Ed award. The Second (qualifying) camp was much more challanging then the practice camp. They say you need a medium fitness level to do it, but i think you only need a medium fitness level to enjoy it. Most people could do it, struggle maybe, but they would be able to complete it.

Camping on rock was the worst part for me. I was numb abd cold all night, because i didn't take a sleeping bag (it wouldn't fit in my bag). instead i just wrapped a sheet around me. lol. take a sleeping bag!!

We saw a snake, that was pretty awesome. and had a pretty good fire going at night. the best and worse part of it all though, was finishing it. best, because you feel proud that you actually hiked kilometres after kilometres up and down rocky and glavelly mountains (well, that what it was for us anyway) and actually made it to the end alive, but at the same time the worst because you realise that you won't really get to spend time with all the DOE people together again.

You achieve the impossible, make loads of friends, encounter things you never thought you would . . . you'd be crazy not to go if given the chance.

Do it. you won't regret it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)