Did you choose the High School you now attend or did your Parents force it on you? (1 Viewer)

Did you choose the High School you now go to?

• Yes it was my choice

Votes: 35 70.0%
  • No my parents forced me to go to a particular school

Votes: 15 30.0%

• Total voters

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: Did you choose the High School you now attend or did your Parents force it on you

I suppose I picked really, but my parents pretty much expected me to pick the feeder HS from primary school and the ones my siblings went to.

I'm happy with where I am :)

Skyzor

HSC
Re: Did you choose the High School you now attend or did your Parents force it on you

I had to go to the same school as my older siblings...

I wanted to move so bad aswell, BUT NOOO stupid parents...

Aykay

HSC
Uni Grad

I was allowed to choose, and I changed at the end of Year 9 when I asked my parents.
Best decision of my life.

aphorae

HSC
Uni Grad

I wanted to stay at my old school for yr 7+.... but my parents thought it was crap so they let me choose between pymble and ruse. I cried so much lol. They took me to both schools, like a legit tour for pymble, but then for ruse they literally parked next to some kind of field and I swear all I could see was a shed and some fruit tree and I started bawling LOL.

So naive back then hahhhaha it's pretty funny when I look back on it though.

Mum wanted me to go to ruse but Dad wanted me to go to pymble. Now they're all like omg we made the wrong choice should've let you stay at your old school you would've been rank 1, didn't know about this complex ATAR stuff.

meh.

Blaake

HSC

I chose.

cheezcake

Callipygian Member
HSC

My choice, no way in hell was going Sydney Boys, 5 hr round trip every day, gg life

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad

I wanted to go every year until year 10 hit then I gave up. Mum isn't getting any of my money after I turn 18 fucking racist bitch.
My friend tried out for Year 7 placement during Year 6 selective test then tried out for Year 8 placement, Year 9 placement, Year 10 placement and this year, Year 11 placement... I wonder if he'll finally get in...
Some of school friends (Macquarie Fields High School) think that a school ranking of 125 is TERRIBAD, ignorant bastards xD

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad

I know the op wasn't referring to selective schools but, in my case, my parents made me go. I remember wondering at the time why they didn't list Ruse as a preference, but I now understand it's because High is my local school. I didn't really care where they sent me tbh, so I guess you could say they chose, but didn't really force, me to go. I'm glad they did, because I'd rather be at High than ANYWHERE else.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad

^You love your HS so much.

I mean I think have more pride in my school than most people, but still it absolutely pales to your absolute love of Sydney Boys hehe.

daniboy232

HSC
Uni Grad

Forced apon.
up until the first day of year 7 I thought I was gonna go to my local school. Wrong. My mum changes direction and takes me to this other school which is "better".
Missed the first day of high school cause of that

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

Pulled out of local public school and moved to The Kings School at the start of Year 5.

I didn't really care either way. Decision was made for me. I just went along with it.

erob

HSC
Uni Grad

I had to choose between Loreto, Monte, NSGHS and Newtown Performing Arts. I got into both of the latter 2 (I got into Newtown for singing) but my parents didn't want me to go because I got bullied heaps in PS and was shy and they heard that NSGHS and Newtown were both really competitive. I was initially going to go to Monte and went to the orientation day and did their test and then two weeks later got into Loreto (Mum's preferred choice), and cried for weeks because I was going to be separated from my best friend.
So went to Loreto, got Music Councillor in Year 10 and Music Captain in year 11.
I haven't seen my best friend from PS since last year.
So yeah, I didn't choose my school, but kind of glad I went there.

khfreakau

HSC

Eh.
My parents didn't expect much from me, and I don't blame them. I wasn't really a motivated kid in year 6... but nonetheless, I still picked my schools: Ruse, Baulko, SGHS, Fort St. They tried to convince me out of putting down Ruse, but I refused.
And when the results finally came out they couldn't believe that I'd actually made it into my first preference.
wow nice. i think in late primary years the "smarter" kids tend to get a bit lazy but despite this they always do really well in the selective test. definitely happened to me.

my parents signed me up for the selective test and they were fairly confident that i would get in, but i wasn't so sure. my parents put my prefs down as ruse, baulko, sbhs, girra. I just did the test and got into baulko (just) and so basically, i effectively chose my own school. if i didn't i'd be going to shitty greystanes high... deary me. i love baulko, it's great, all the people are nice(r after trials) and there's a strong sense of school community :)

erob

HSC
Uni Grad

wow nice. i think in late primary years the "smarter" kids tend to get a bit lazy but despite this they always do really well in the selective test. definitely happened to me.
Hahaha my parents wanted me to get in everywhere. I put down NSGHS, SGHS, Fort St and Hornsby, got my first preference. My PS music teacher convinced me to audition for Newtown. Mum decided she didn't like either of the two schools I got into and convinced me to choose between 2 local private schools. She didn't like the one I chose, so I went to the other.
In short, Mum made the choice, but I'm glad she did.

HSC
Uni Grad

Well my school is both primary and secondary. My sisters went through the school (graudated in 2005 and 2007), and my dad thought that my school was the best choice even though it's the only private school in the area. I am still going to it and in year 11, there are periods of time that I wish I went to a different school because of the bullying and being abandoned as such from people, but other times I am kind of glad atteneding the school.
Ever since year 3, I wanted to go to a girls school like Pymble and Queenswood etc and board there.
So in a nutshell my dad chose the school.

apples-x3

HSC

I went to my local high school xD

mirakon

nigga
HSC

my parents let me choose between Ruse and the school I go to now. I chose the latter with no regrets

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad

my parents let me choose between Ruse and the school I go to now. I chose the latter with no regrets
When you wrote "the school I got to now" I was thinking "I wonder which one they chose!" and then you said in the last line.
You ruined the mystery. :(

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad

There seems to be a lot of responses in which you've been forced to go to a certain school. The only way I see that being fair to a child is if the parents couldn't afford the fees to a certain prestigious school. I'm quite surprised.

Hopefully you'll all get a say in what University you go to - after all it is your life.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)