• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

dinner table convo (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

flipsyde

Shutup!...that's why
HSC
So we were having a family dinner (I hate family dinners), anyhow we got talking about religion and stuf (One thing that shuddnt be brought up at the table) and you see Im an athiest, no-one in my family knows about it cos theyre catholic all the way, and they started talking about marriage and stuff and how my sister and I could only marry a Christian... and Im like.. but what If I wanna marry an athiest or an agnostic? And they said that those people arent welcome in the family... hehe

Looks like Ill be disowned and my parents not comming to my wedding when I get married...although Im single anyhow, pretty much everyone I know is an athiest or an agnostic lol so changces are (If ever I do marry).. Im disowned

lol

oops :p

waht issues do you face when it comes to you marriage and your family?

Last edited:

flipsyde

Shutup!...that's why
HSC
because its to do with love and relationships perhaps...

sped_kid01

FindWhatIsYet2BeFound
HSC
what?

so ur parent r religious? do they mind if u marry....say? a buddhist? or a muslim?

i dont see religion as a huge thing, nor would my parents?

i think they would eventually become more accepting if they knew the guy?

what happens if the guy u marry happens to be a catholic?

flipsyde

Shutup!...that's why
HSC
sped_kid01 said:
what?

so ur parent r religious? do they mind if u marry....say? a buddhist? or a muslim?
Yes They do mind.. I dont

sped_kid01 said:
i think they would eventually become more accepting if they knew the guy?
Not my mother

sped_kid01 said:
what happens if the guy u marry happens to be a catholic?
Then I have no problem :p unless he tries to make me cathooic and forces his beliefs on me... but he wont so its all good:p

Grobus

Laughing Boy
HSC
Its a hard break dude and I know how you feel because my dads side of the family are total cunts about religion too. I dont slam my atheism around or challenge their choice of faith, yet they still disown me. Its pretty stupid if you ask me, using religion as something to make you hate others, but its their choice to make I guess.

flipsyde

Shutup!...that's why
HSC
yeah.. I know the feeling.. I dont go dissing thier belifs. I just dont practice them...

sped_kid01

FindWhatIsYet2BeFound
HSC
i think an extremist christian is just as bad as an extremist muslim

i dont see what the fuss is? but i guess it how people have been brought up n stuff?

Beckiki_S

I call President!
HSC
Well I'm agnostic (I might change later in life but thats part of the beauty of agnosticism) and my mum's family are all really catholic but considering she married a Jew (my dad's family is Jewish) I don't really think she has a leg to stand on if she wants to say anything like that. However they're divorced now, so she'll probably tried to say the REASON it broke up was because he wasn't catholic (nah lol she probably wouldn't she's pretty easygoing!)

So ask them... if i told you I was atheist (or if that's to close to comfort go with buddhist) would I be welcome in the family?

flipsyde

Shutup!...that's why
HSC
hmmmmm not a bad idea.. I was tempted to do so during the convo but didnt...but yeah next time.. itll be brought up again some other time.

Beckiki_S

I call President!
HSC
Yeah you really should...

I would be sooo offended if my family said they'd choose religion over their own flesh and blood!

And also point out that these days traditional religion in young people is on the decline (Ohhh PIP is useful!) so it's less likely that you're going to be able to FIND a nice catholic girl/boy and hence more likely that they'll be disowning you!

flipsyde

Shutup!...that's why
HSC
Beckiki_S said:
Yeah you really should...

I would be sooo offended if my family said they'd choose religion over their own flesh and blood!

And also point out that these days traditional religion in young people is on the decline (Ohhh PIP is useful!) so it's less likely that you're going to be able to FIND a nice catholic girl/boy and hence more likely that they'll be disowning you!
catholic boy

.. Im a girl :p but yeah.. cool u did a PIP on it .. cool

SweetSeasons

HSC
I don't have any barriers, and if I did I wouldn't listen to my olds any ways. You have to do things to make you happy, not to make every one else happy. My olds would come around and grow to love the guy as well, if they knew i loved him.

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
well im muslim
and i can marry any nationality i want
as long as they are muslim
and it makes life easier that way
i know a christian and a muslim that are married
and believe me its hard
because both of them are extremely religous
they clash etc because religon plays a huge role in how you live your life
things you do etc
and how you bring up your children and what religon they are

im more then happy to marry a muslim..and i dont think i will ever meet a christian and get to the stage where i want to marry them

Grobus

Laughing Boy
HSC
Thats really screwed up. If I was a parent, Id want my children to follow whatever faith they thought would make them happy. My mum has been really cool with religion and life choices like that. Its ridiculous how much importance families can put on religion.

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
well obviously ur gonna teach you children what you are
when they are young
and then they get to a certain age where they decide for themselves
and when they question life and they question their faith

and a child doenst know any better then what their parnets tell them
and they cant comprehend religons and stuff..and choose so young
eventually they will decide for them selves when they grow up

Beckiki_S

I call President!
HSC
Yeah well it was actually on Continuity and Change in Jewish Weddings but one of the chapters was trends in religion... so i am like an expert lol.

GSTARRAW

soha said:
well im muslim
and i can marry any nationality i want
as long as they are muslim
and it makes life easier that way
i know a christian and a muslim that are married
and believe me its hard
because both of them are extremely religous
they clash etc because religon plays a huge role in how you live your life
things you do etc
and how you bring up your children and what religon they are

im more then happy to marry a muslim..and i dont think i will ever meet a christian and get to the stage where i want to marry them
Islam is the most pathetic religion i have ever come across.... Which idiot believes that the more pain you go threw, (IE: slicing your son's head open) will give you more rewards when you go to your so called 'heaven'. If you don't believe me, www.faithfreedom.org ... feel free to read up on the scum of the earth.

V

val_dramaqueen

religion... something thats just caused so many fights in the past..

no offence to anyone who is a strong religious person... i do think everyone is allowed their opinion... here's mine

i think religion should never have been "invented".. there really isn't proof to suggest that there really are higher beings (bible? pfft!)
my opinion is that some people who are religious aren't accepting of other religions therefore... aren't they sinning?

i dunno... if you love someone and they love you and your both happy... shouldn't that be all that matters?!

sorry if i have offended anyone... feel free to blow my brains out with your words...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)