Disadvantage going to UWS? or not? (1 Viewer)

klh

HSC
wha tdoes it matter? those who believe its a disadvantage will probably trasnfer, those who dont can stay..its a free country and its still education either way, you cant just give someone a degree theyve porved themselves that they know whatever it is they must know to get it. the only disadvantage is if youre not prepared enough to get a job as well as the job prospects. My mums friends daughter is having a hard time getting a job in real estate, she just graduated from UTS and she is having a hard time when i know she's probably got good amrks etc. if oyu think its so, than by all means go, if not and oyu like to stay than stay...simple.

adn yes, the admin is atrocious bu does admin really have to affect the reputation of the unis education? maybe a minor thing in some ways...although the cuts to units and stuff caused an uproar and stuff...and youll get crap lecturers/tutors if youre unlucky but most of the time theyre good as i ve experienced.

hYperTrOphY

HSC
When people make comments on the quality of UWS being inferior to that of its competing Sydney universities - what specifically are you referring to, and can you provide examples?
I am yet to attend uni and thus do not know of the relative quality of UWS or any other university.

So, when people make comments such as "Of course no one has said uws is better than other sydney unis. No one's that stupid. Everyone knows that MACQ/UTS/USYD/UNSW is better than UWS" - in what way(s) are these other universities better; and how do you know?

I am not disputing the fact that they are better, I would just like to know in what ways they are better and the means by which you know this. The disadvantages I have been able to assume of UWS is their lower prestige level (a result of their location and age) and possible admin problems.

Perhaps UWS could improve its status by offering less places - hence higher cutoffs. Lets face it - reputation is built on cutoffs.
I agree. I was hoping the law cut-off would increase for 2006. Unfortunately, it decreased quite dramatically. :(

Last edited:
HSC
Imagine if her daughter went to UWS. She wouldn't even be allowed into the Real Estate's office.

klh

HSC
actually our, that is UWS's real estate degree has many achievements to date if you would read the brochure, ofcourse its a brochure intended to lure you into UWS's evil grasp, yes?

I dont know her exact situation, i just heard my mum rant on about how grads theses days and the damn employers who are to pigheaded not to see good material etc. i dont know btu if UTS supposed to have a better reputation adn not in, than whats reputation got to do with it?

sigh..

Alimoe_KG

HSC
Yeah cutoffs to a huge extent.

But also by word of mouth and sandstone. :p

UNSW is often praised through word of mouth.
USYD likewise, and also through its sandstone.

UWS has low cutoffs (its law course is the only law course of the major universities in NSW that's under 90. SIf law under 90), the general consensus in conversations is "HAHAHA UWS HAHAHA.", and it's neither old school sandstone like usyd or high tech modern like unsw, it's not famous for being vocational like UTS nor does it have a brandname like Macquarie.

UWS has jack. To build a reputation, you need something to build it on. Nothing comes of nothing. And quite possibly, in another few decades, people will still be going "HAHAHAH UWS HAHAHAHA".

And that's how the world goes round.

D.

Blurg!
HSC
N/A
Airness said:

UWS has low cutoffs (its law course is the only law course of the major universities in NSW that's under 90. SIf law under 90), the general consensus in conversations is "HAHAHA UWS HAHAHA.", and it's neither old school sandstone like usyd or high tech modern like unsw, it's not famous for being vocational like UTS nor does it have a brandname like Macquarie.

UWS has jack. To build a reputation, you need something to build it on. Nothing comes of nothing. And quite possibly, in another few decades, people will still be going "HAHAHAH UWS HAHAHAHA".

Exactly, but since they wanted to call it Chifley I am waiting for them to try and call it Whitlam. Though personally given all the dummy spits by UWSers in here I think it should be called Latham University.

hYperTrOphY

HSC
Airness said:
it's neither old school sandstone like usyd or high tech modern like unsw, it's not famous for being vocational like UTS nor does it have a brandname like Macquarie.

Practical, flexible, vocational... I wouldn't say UWS has nothing to build on.

shortygb

BOSer #13412
HSC
someone please correct me if im worng, but this is the UWS forum, for UWS students right?...

so then why do people from other unis feel the need to come here for the sole purpose of casusing trouble with people who go to uws, when it dosent concern them at all. and is the students choice that they choose to go to uws.

you dont see uws students going into the usyd, unsw etc. forums and starting to cause trouble with those students...if you have a problem with uws then take it somewhere else, and just stay away form the uws forum...and not disrupt a forum that is for UWS students.

Demandred

HSC
Yes.

UWS is a young and developing uni, but there are simply better ones out there at the moment. Unless you're doing a degree exclusive to UWS (LLB / B Crim), I would recommend choosing Usyd or UNSW.

That is the cold truth.

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
Airness said:

Kids can be so cruel :p

.And I don't think it's necessarily true that all UWS students given the opportunity would go to another uni. The purpose of a university is to serve the needs of a student and everyone has different needs and wants different things from university.

It's quite obvious that hYperTrOphY for instance could have choosen other law schools with his UAI, but there were probably a number of factors which made him choose UWS. Just as one of my friends who is doing law/journo with me at UTS who got 99.7, and could have had her pick of law schools but picked UTS because of the combined degrees it offers and its reputation in journalism.

Anyway long point short, people choose university for different reasons and at the end of the day, as long as students are happy with their uni, all is well.

Why am I sticking up for UWS? I go to UTS.

But Natstar lets not pretend that UWS is in any way better then UTS at communications, it's our claim to fame!

L

LaraB

shortygb said:
someone please correct me if im worng, but this is the UWS forum, for UWS students right?...

so then why do people from other unis feel the need to come here for the sole purpose of casusing trouble with people who go to uws, when it dosent concern them at all. and is the students choice that they choose to go to uws.

you dont see uws students going into the usyd, unsw etc. forums and starting to cause trouble with those students...if you have a problem with uws then take it somewhere else, and just stay away form the uws forum...and not disrupt a forum that is for UWS students.
you are just one of countless people to pose that question.. and not surprisingly - none of those students have an answer for why they do it... at least not a logical, serious answer

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
politik said:
I think what we need to remember that if a referendum was held on the prestige and status of universities, UWS would probably be ranked pretty low.
As far as I know a referendum is a yes/no vote...

Demandred said:
Yes.

UWS is a young and developing uni, but there are simply better ones out there at the moment. Unless you're doing a degree exclusive to UWS (LLB / B Crim), I would recommend choosing Usyd or UNSW.

That is the cold truth.
I am just glad though that I havent heard anything negative about the course

Last edited:
L

LaraB

melsc said:
As far as I know a referendum is a yes/no vote...
lol yay for mel:p

and other than that - fine, uws would be voted lowest for prestige.. big deal... prestige doesn't equate to quality anyway...

mysterious_grl8

HSC
Damage Inc. said:
Seriously, UWS is one of the lamest uni's in Sydney. Look at the UAI's. No one wants to study there. Except people who didn't get into USyd or UNSW.

You guys keep telling yourselves that employers don't care about which uni you went to. Keep denying it. Keep telling yourselves that you're going to a good uni.
wtf r u going on abt? ur so lost that its not funni. for ur information i was offered a place at macquarie uni but i decided not to take it coz i want to
study law at uws in which i got accepted. r u trying to tell me that sum1 doing, say, arts at USYD or
UNSW will be in a better position than me in terms of finding a job? i dont think so.

L

LaraB

D. said:
Not everyone is out to get UWS.
why do you keep posting irrelevant uselss posts?

i never said everyone is... stop telling me and others we said stuff we didn't say.

i said THOSE WHO COME IN HERE FOR THE SOLE REASON OF BAGGING UWS have not yet come up with a decent reason of why they are justified in doing so

that does not in any way! = everyone is out to get uws.

and besides - even if i did say 'everyone' was - i'm a hell of a lot more justified in saying that than those who say that no one is - just take a look at this and countless other threads which are the only ones with a strong presence of non-uws students...

if no one cared about shit bagging uws - why are these the only threads that these people are present in huh?

we are not the one with the problem

Last edited by a moderator:
L

LaraB

D. said:
Wow, no one could accuse you of being angry over so little.

meh - you're the one reading into what i'm saying and deducing that i care so greatly...

if it's such a little point that doesn't matter as you keep inferring all of your posts that people get annoyed at are - DON"T POST THEM! if they're such insignificant points that do not warrant a response that infers any kind of care for the matter, why are you wasting space filing the forum with them

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)