Distinction Courses (1 Viewer)

lilkatie

black_cherry said:
YAY i got into cosmoslogy.
oh and katie, i'm Tamara i don't know if you remember me i was at the orientation day and you introduced me to your friend Larissa. I was wondering if you had heard whether she got in or not (i hope she did!).
And will that freaky guy who spoke at the information day be reading all our posts?!?!
Hey ah yes I remember introducing laris to 3 girls, she is such a legend, but nah she didn't get in so she's fairly upset, she got high band 5..
Congrats on getting in!
haha "that freaky guy" is tallen (well thats his alias anyway), he is a past cosmo student who set up the site, so he'll read the posts and prob answer q's if you post any...all the alumni (yeah thats me now) can read anything you guys post and so answer qs and help out and that
The website is really cool theres a general chit chat bit where everyone can talk about random stuff, and then each course has its own section (like philo ppl can't see cosmo's posts in this bit)...its really helpful when you have qs and stuff (cos my experience was that the course coordinaters never replied to your emails and hardly ever helped (yes I may have lied in my speech lol))
If I remember correctly they sent out the pins for teh site in the mail and you get the 'big bundle of stuff' around xmas i think

Mr.Bark

what the hell...
HSC
how many people are rejected? anyone know on average?

I

icycloud

Mr.Bark said:
how many people are rejected? anyone know on average?
Well, I'd say around 200 people turned up on the Information Day, and around 70 people get accepted into the three courses combined. But out of those 200, I'm guessing not everyone would have applied. So I think a good estimate would be that 50% got accepted?

punk_tartan

HSC
i got into cosmology and was rather pleased about it becuse some of my school marks were shit....... i think there are 2 ppl in cosmo and 4 in philosphy from my school.. go danebank

lilkatie

icycloud said:
Well, I'd say around 200 people turned up on the Information Day, and around 70 people get accepted into the three courses combined. But out of those 200, I'm guessing not everyone would have applied. So I think a good estimate would be that 50% got accepted?
When I did cosmo about 110 applied and 28 were accepted - you have got to remember that not everyone who applied turned up at info day...lots of people are from rural NSW. Also the info day clashed with the last HSC exams as well

ViRtUaL

1/cosC GSXR1000
HSC
i havent got anything in my mail or anything yet.

hey...do u think it would be really slack for me to pull out of cosmology like 4 days after accepting, coz i did extremely well in my accelerated course and i dont think i need cosmology to count for my uai anymore. i feel really guilty coz it would mean someone that really wanted to do it cant but the only reason i accepted was because i never conceivably expected to come 6th in the state for geography.
please solve my moral dilemma.

lilkatie

ViRtUaL said:
i havent got anything in my mail or anything yet.

hey...do u think it would be really slack for me to pull out of cosmology like 4 days after accepting, coz i did extremely well in my accelerated course and i dont think i need cosmology to count for my uai anymore. i feel really guilty coz it would mean someone that really wanted to do it cant but the only reason i accepted was because i never conceivably expected to come 6th in the state for geography.
please solve my moral dilemma.
Trust me if you want to pull out do it NOW. But cosmology is THAT good for your UAI, and its not alot of work - you have 6 assignments all up and they take about 8hrs each to do.
so you really need to think about
a) are you interested in cosmo/will you enjoy it
b) do you have the time
because if you dont enjoy it you won't go well, and in that case it may not count for your UAI...have a play with SAM and see if it will count

ViRtUaL

1/cosC GSXR1000
HSC
*Katie* said:
Trust me if you want to pull out do it NOW. But cosmology is THAT good for your UAI, and its not alot of work - you have 6 assignments all up and they take about 8hrs each to do.
so you really need to think about
a) are you interested in cosmo/will you enjoy it
b) do you have the time
because if you dont enjoy it you won't go well, and in that case it may not count for your UAI...have a play with SAM and see if it will count
i'm definitely interested in cosmology and have no doubt that i will enjoy it, but i mean sixth in the state for geography would be a scaled mark of about 97-99, and according to SAM in order to get that sort of scaled mark in cosmology would require me coming top 3, which, out of a cohort of 35 or so extremely bright and talented students, would require quite a lot of work and effort, especially with like 5 ppl from ruse doing it, along with icycloud (target uai 99.95+ speaks for itself). and as for the rest of my units, 2 units of engliish will inevitably count, and 4 units of maths and 2 units of physics will probably count since i topped physics and came second in maths in yr 11 at school.

ViRtUaL

1/cosC GSXR1000
HSC
i think i'll stick with cosmology, then make my decision after the first residential (free camp :D)!!!

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Doing cosmology doesn't mean you have to discard your geography mark.

It could very well end up counting instead of one of your other subjects.

I

icycloud

Lazarus said:
Doing cosmology doesn't mean you have to discard your geography mark.

It could very well end up counting instead of one of your other subjects.
Yeh, that was what I was going to say :p. And ViRtUaL, you'll scale the rest of us (me!) up in Cosmology! You have an extremely high chance of getting top 3 in it.

ViRtUaL said:
along with icycloud (target uai 99.95+ speaks for itself).
Haha actually my target UAI was put there sort of "just for fun". I doubt I'd be getting it -- it is more reserved for people of your calibre and academic prowess, ViRtUaL.

Last edited by a moderator:

skepticality

HSC
ViRtUaL said:
i think i'll stick with cosmology, then make my decision after the first residential (free camp :D)!!!
haha cheapdya

and clearly both kaivan and aaron will be gettin 100, which is gd for me and everyone else in our school =]

lucii

HSC
Hey i just got into philosophy! and thats a total of FIVE people from my school/grade getting into philo. I really thought i wouldnt get in.. coz my report was REALLY BAD.. honestly/literally/seriously it was really bad.. i had around 3 fails but my acc eco mark was 94....
well right now, Im just worried about the workload.. but anyway.. i never knew the residentials were like camps? lol.. i thought they were just lectures/seminars ...

ViRtUaL

1/cosC GSXR1000
HSC
icycloud said:
I doubt I'd be getting it -- it is more reserved for people of your calibre and academic prowess, ViRtUaL.
Haha, very modest Aaron. Look at the facts man (um...dux at sbhs 4 years in a row).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)