Do HSC english markers change every year? (1 Viewer)

Skriker

HSC
Some will be changed but the majority will have been there last year. It won't make it easier as the more experienced markers will bring the newer ones up to standard very quickly.
Not really, A few other people he had contacted and the majority had said they also got rejected as they want to get other young markers in as they will basically be marking in the 'next generation' So he is saying it will be alot easier for us. He told me the people who stay are markers who have only been their for a couple years or so :)....but yeah thats what he says.

yours

HSC
Will i get caught out if i memorise my mates creative writing piece from last year?
These are what the stats say:
71 310 kids did the HSC in 2010
63 kids were caught for plagiarism (total from across ALL subjects)

Therefore there is a less than 0.000883466554% chance you will be caught for copying that kid (less, because it's only one subject). I'm not endorsing this, but the odds are in your favour for sure.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Not really, A few other people he had contacted and the majority had said they also got rejected as they want to get other young markers in as they will basically be marking in the 'next generation' So he is saying it will be alot easier for us. He told me the people who stay are markers who have only been their for a couple years or so :)....but yeah thats what he says.

Not what I am hearing with English markers at my school like me having been doing it for 20 or so years. All our English teachers have been marking now for at least 5 years and all are going to be marking again - and all the people they have been marking with are saying the same thing. Everyone I know who has been marking for years is marking again this year.

BOSBOY

HSC
N/A
even just rewriting the question will get 1 mark.
I hesitate to criticise another contributor, but that is nonsense. Nobody gets a mark just for rewriting the question (and why would you even waste time doing that). The marking guidelines make it clear what marks are awarded for: responding to the question, not simply rewriting it. Any marker who awards a mark for that just doesn't get it.
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.a...s/pdf_doc/modern-history-marking-guide-10.pdf

themanman

HSC
N/A
I hesitate to criticise another contributor, but that is nonsense. Nobody gets a mark just for rewriting the question (and why would you even waste time doing that). The marking guidelines make it clear what marks are awarded for: responding to the question, not simply rewriting it. Any marker who awards a mark for that just doesn't get it.
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.a...s/pdf_doc/modern-history-marking-guide-10.pdf
No..

My teachers have said the same thing as cem

It is considered responding to the question, hence there acknowledgement in rewriting it.

But, thats why they only get 1 mark... not 20

Skriker

HSC
Not what I am hearing with English markers at my school like me having been doing it for 20 or so years. All our English teachers have been marking now for at least 5 years and all are going to be marking again - and all the people they have been marking with are saying the same thing. Everyone I know who has been marking for years is marking again this year.
Oh ok, well thats just what my english tutor is saying :)

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Will i get caught out if i memorise my mates creative writing piece from last year?
Past marking notes for that section:

"Some candidates were found to have reproduced, without acknowledgement, sourced work, borrowing
storyline, structure and/or language. These responses were regarded as limited in their appropriateness
and received marks only for the parts of the response that were original. Candidates are reminded that
responses must satisfy the requirement of the BOS ‘All My Own Work’ policy. '

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
The awkward moment when you try to say that you know more than someone who's marked the HSC for 20+ years....

acehscwebsite

HSC
N/A
I' think you can get the idea from his story - after all we learn from others, but it doesn't mean that you can use word for word or even simply use extracts from his story. So may be get the idea but put it in your own words and add a few twists in the story! BUT SOMEONE NEEDS TO CONFIRM THIS --> NOT SURE IF THIS IN IT SELF CAN BE CLASSIFIED AS PLAGIARISM

BOSBOY

HSC
N/A

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
There is a difference between 'an adequate attempt at the paper' and getting 1 mark for a question worth 10 or 15 or 25.

I would agree that it isn't an adequate attempt but it still gets 1 mark.

BOSBOY

HSC
N/A
Awarding one mark for rewriting the question is against the intent and spirit of the marking guidelines. You really need to speak with Michael about this.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Awarding one mark for rewriting the question is against the intent and spirit of the marking guidelines. You really need to speak with Michael about this.
The guidelines say "non-attempt" and "no serious attempt" for zero. Hence, if they attempt then they get a mark.

themanman

HSC
N/A
why are you so passionate about being right?

Non-attempt = 0
An attempt (whatever that may be) = 1

Whether it goes against the 'spirit' of things is another point
Although, I can assure you, there is very little difference between 1 and 0

BOSBOY

HSC
N/A
Writing out the question in no way represents an "attempt". You cannot earn marks for demonstrating no knowledge of the subject.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Writing out the question in no way represents an "attempt". You cannot earn marks for demonstrating no knowledge of the subject.
If you rewrite the question to add in a stance on te question such as "How does Owen display his ideas in his collection of poetry?"
"Owen displays his ideas in his collection of poetry through his use of poetic devices to convey them clearly to the audience."
I'd give that a mark.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
So would I, but that's more than rewriting the question.
It's pretty much rewriting it with a little bit of an answer and I think that's what cem meant when he said rewriting the question.

FrasbR

HSC
If two people were to write the same creative writing story (in essence) what are the chances of getting caught out?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)