do selective schools 'mark more harshly?' (1 Viewer)

sheep90

HSC
so in a selective rank 6 would they mark more harshly during internal assesments?
and how would they compare with the state?

i'm not doing great in english all my marks are around 11-12 out of 15 (also probs worst subject)
but then other people are like it's completely fine, if you went to a 'normal' school you'd be doing really well

is this true or should i try to pick up my game?

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
you should aim to pick up your game no matter where you go to

always strive to do better

D94

HSC
N/A
so in a selective rank 6 would they mark more harshly during internal assesments?
and how would they compare with the state?

i'm not doing great in english all my marks are around 11-12 out of 15 (also probs worst subject)
but then other people are like it's completely fine, if you went to a 'normal' school you'd be doing really well

is this true or should i try to pick up my game?
But what you need to consider is the standard of the HSC, not just of normal or selective schools. Your assessment might have been easier than the standard of the HSC and as a result, that 11/15 might be sub par. Do note that just because you go to a selective school, that does not automatically mean your assessments are harder than the standard of the HSC.

It ultimately depends on what you want to achieve.

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
If you put in the effort, anything is possible. So yes, you should be 'picking up your game'.

matchalolz

HSC
I go to a top 10 selective but not sure if they mark harshly. If it helps i'm also getting 11-12/15, but my teacher legit told me not to worry. Basically, strive for your best but don't be disheartened if your marks stay like this :)

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Definitely not. It's more dependent on the individual teacher(s) who run the subjects rather than the type of school.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
I got 18+/20s in geography and my teacher who has been a senior marker and produced SRers in the past, said I had a chance of SR. Unfortunately the essay questions were not what I expected :(

Dachsy

HSC
N/A
I used to go to a selective school and I don't think they definitively marked 'harsher'. It varies. But some of the teachers were HSC markers and they marked according to HSC standards.
Having said that, I was receiving ~11-12 for my English Advanced assessments during the HSC year and I ended up with a band 6 (high band 5 for internals) for my final mark. Maybe I was just lucky.
Good luck and persevere

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
Nah it's just ignorant to think like that. If you make excuses about your marks, you're gonna expect really high marks in the HSC and then be extremely disappointed.

Verify

HSC
I think they do mark 'harsher' to an extent.
At my school (selective) the average mark in all english modules including belonging have been at around 60%. That is to say, the average mark for Mod A was 8/15, Mod B was 8.4/15 and Mod C will most likely be very similar. This has been the track record of our school for the past few years and we produce numerous band 6s per year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)