Do we really care about english? (1 Viewer)

herbs1

HSC
I dont see the point of this lol.

This is waste of time, considering that I already study 7-8 hrs a day to cover all of my subjects, I just don't have the time to start memorising more shit for english. lolz
Don't, you shouldn't really. Prepared essays wont do it. Consider the difference between 2009s q and 2010s. While the same thesis could be used for both, you wouldn't get high marks. It's better to know your PT really well, have about 15 quotes which can be adapted for different things, and then roll with it. I find belonging not to centralised on themes, but more on the thesis (unlike say, Mod A). So for example, for 2010s q, I would do something like:
thesis: "It is not the social forces around us which define our connections, but how we deal with them which determines our sense of belonging"
Then my argument would be:
*Belonging to society can be meaningless and not enriching/destroy indentity
*Negative social forces can prevent belonging to society and cause disconnection
* Ultimately, individuals can choose to belonging on their own terms, which is by far, the most enriching form of belonging.

There, that was like 2 min planning, which you could easily do in an exam. Then just remember some quotes to support your points.

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
not 3 related texts lol hahaha that is too overwhelming.. I'd say 2 at most is what they can ask for..

For belonging im gonna use one related text and 2 P.S, 1 back up also...

Btw i would love to memorise also fully i hate improvising, but the HSC is not that easy.... This is why im preparing extra :(.....

I do 2hrs of english btw also a day.. and yes i got heaps of time for other subjects.. just need good time management

yours

HSC
Then my argument would be:
*Belonging to society can be meaningless and not enriching/destroy indentity
*Negative social forces can prevent belonging to society and cause disconnection
* Ultimately, individuals can choose to belonging on their own terms, which is by far, the most enriching form of belonging.

There, that was like 2 min planning, which you could easily do in an exam. Then just remember some quotes to support your points.
what are 'negative social forces'??? I like your other points, though is there that much difference between the first point and the second? it seems like 'society is bad' and 'society is bad'

herbs1

HSC
what are 'negative social forces'??? I like your other points, though is there that much difference between the first point and the second? it seems like 'society is bad' and 'society is bad'
the first point is, if you belong to society its not that great
the second point is society might not want you to belong to it or prevent you from belonging to it, so you dont even have a chance, i.e through religion.

yours

HSC
the first point is, if you belong to society its not that great
the second point is society might not want you to belong to it or prevent you from belonging to it, so you dont even have a chance, i.e through religion.
Thankyou! You mean barriers that prevent belonging like gender could fall under this second point? This was helpful to me.

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
LOL you can integrate techniques into real life jobs like marketing and advertising for example... Film making and media .. so many beneficial things i can think off...

anne1010

HSC
And how does congruent and irregular triangles help anyone with basic life skills?
it doesn't. but the very basics of general maths has some relation to life. interest, percentages ratios etc.
what does english teach? nothing. im first in std and yet i still dont know how to spell.
fair enough making english compulsory, just not what we learn in eng.

jniranjan

HSC
And how does congruent and irregular triangles help anyone with basic life skills?
No HSC subject helps anyone with basic life skills. I could have dropped out of school in Year 10, and still have walked away with 'basic life skills'. Your argument fails.

And I agree with Anne1010. Most of the techniques we pick out of texts to support our argument(s) are used out of context, or were not meant to be analysed so deeply. Eg, Immigrant Chronicle. Peter Skyrznecki himself has said he never meant for the 'techniques' used in his poems to have such deep and metaphoric meanings.

herbs1

HSC
Thankyou! You mean barriers that prevent belonging like gender could fall under this second point? This was helpful to me.
Yes this. So Barriers can prevent belonging to society. Additionally Belonging to society can be meaningless and detrimental to individuality.

This thesis is for Emily Dickinson specifically, but I am sure works for everything on the list.

HSC
I take the, "focus on my other 4 subjects(2hrs per subject per day lol) and don't do english at all" approach... I want band 6's in modern, physics and engineering, with a high band 5 in 2 unit maths... I'll just scrape a 75 HSC mark in english haahha... I see it this way: I want to succeed in the subjects I like, fuck the rest haha

yours

HSC
Yes this. So Barriers can prevent belonging to society. Additionally Belonging to society can be meaningless and detrimental to individuality.

This thesis is for Emily Dickinson specifically, but I am sure works for everything on the list.
I am also doing Dickinson. So her Puritan society and religion is a barrier to her belonging because it isn't a shared belief? Also her gender as a female poet in a patriarchal society with expectations for women to marry

herbs1

HSC
I am also doing Dickinson. So her Puritan society and religion is a barrier to her belonging because it isn't a shared belief? Also her gender as a female poet in a patriarchal society with expectations for women to marry
This this this. Her gender is an amazing concept to talk about. The Romantic era was hallmarked by male writers, and all of her critics were males too. She directly addresses this in a word dropped careless on a page, which is basically a metapoetry, warning of the power of womens poetry (among other things, such as the power of language to create/destroy belonging and the negative power religion has). Even, say, in I died for beauty, you can talk about how the male characterised person seeks contact from dickinsons persona, or the use of male pronouns for her persona shows the patriarchy of society.

Additionally, for religion as an example, you can use I died for beauty. The poem presents a view that there is no afterlife, emphasising that the connection with truth and beauty, which is what an appreciation of the art and world around us is, is the highest form of human connection. Dickinson is basically rejecting the afterlife, and establishing her own identity in believing that a connection with the world around us and nature is the highest order of belonging.

Last edited:

yours

HSC
This this this. Her gender is an amazing concept to talk about. The Romantic era was hallmarked by male writers, and all of her critics were males too. She directly addresses this in a word dropped careless on a page, which is basically a metapoetry, warning of the power of womens poetry (among other things, such as the power of language to create/destroy belonging and the negative power religion has). Even, say, in I died for beauty, you can talk about how the male characterised person seeks contact from dickinsons persona, or the use of male pronouns for her persona shows the patriarchy of society.

Additionally, for religion as an example, you can use I died for beauty. The poem presents a view that there is no afterlife, emphasising that the connection with truth and beauty, which is what an appreciation of the art and world around us is, is the highest form of human connection. Dickinson is basically rejecting the afterlife, and establishing her own identity in believing that a connection with the world around us and nature is the highest order of belonging.
I wasn't planning to use a word dropped careless but you make a good point on religion. Is the 'malaria' people's strict adherence to the tenets of religion, which are the 'word(s) dropped careless on a page'? The last point from 'i died for beauty' links to 'this is my letter', I think, in that 'her message' is a parody of the the Good News, and instead of Christ's preachings it is 'the simple news that nature told' - nature is the highest order of belonging/transcendentalist influences and this is her rejection of religion. Biblical overtones also in "judge" and "tender majesty", with "majesty" connoting a sort of reverence for nature's power and mystique.

Back to the power of female poetry, how do you mean? Is the 'despair' the plight of the marganalised female, and her poetry a message that challenges her society in that one day the 'infection in the sentence (will) breed' and everyone will realise how women were treated as second class citizens? Your thoughts?

herbs1

HSC
I wasn't planning to use a word dropped careless but you make a good point on religion. Is the 'malaria' people's strict adherence to the tenets of religion, which are the 'word(s) dropped careless on a page'? The last point from 'i died for beauty' links to 'this is my letter', I think, in that 'her message' is a parody of the the Good News, and instead of Christ's preachings it is 'the simple news that nature told' - nature is the highest order of belonging/transcendentalist influences and this is her rejection of religion. Biblical overtones also in "judge" and "tender majesty", with "majesty" connoting a sort of reverence for nature's power and mystique.

Back to the power of female poetry, how do you mean? Is the 'despair' the plight of the marganalised female, and her poetry a message that challenges her society in that one day the 'infection in the sentence (will) breed' and everyone will realise how women were treated as second class citizens? Your thoughts?
Not quite. Dickinson is making fun of the romantic by directly addressing them in her poem (i.e metapoetry). She uses the eye/I pun in "may stimulate an eye", which I think, shows her belief in the power of female poetry to create action. This is supported by the fact it's a single word dropped careless, which shows the power of female poetry. You must remember that the romantics thought womens poetry was overly emotional and powerless.

TorMental

HSC
^ You guys seem to care about english... so isn't this a weird forum topic to post it in?

herbs1

HSC
when you need a 99 atar+, most people get decent maths/sci marks, so its really the english department where you can make the largest difference

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)