Do we really care about english? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Uni Grad
Essay writing for engrish, is not the same as essay writing for another subject. The content of the essay is what makes the essay. The structure, however, is universal and isn't what is 'hated' in english.

I dislike the fact that english requires an analyses of technique, quote, explanation, link. However, some teachers take the shit and keep finding any possible loophole, whether big or small (or even not existant) to criticise your work. Some teachers go as far as to say 'Wheres my quote??' before even reading the next line which has the said 'quote'.

Sometimes I think english teachers read our sentences in isolation. I didn't know I should continue a sentence without fullstops because they are so lazy to read the next sentence which will contradict their feedback.
I agree with this here. I can't believe that English Advanced is based on techniques and their effect, many of them not making the effect (its the example that contributes to the effect, not the technique itself).

I also believe that doing essays in modern history, economics, legal studies and ancient history have more relevance to university as opposed to doing english essays. Your facts and arguments count more that way rather than how elegantly you express yourself. Having said that, I do regret dropping modern history (such a great subject but I had a shit teacher). I actually think that these subjects are better if you want to learn how to make an argument.

Nevertheless to the OP, I'm going to be writing essays, checking them with my tutor, then making them into notes. Then I memorize those notes and walk in and write the essay out :p

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Just removed 15 posts for spam/off-topic-ness. Please get back on topic. :)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
what does english teach? nothing. im first in std and yet i still dont know how to spell.
Well, two observations from this:
- You're pretty fucked in life if you can't spell properly after going through 12 years of schooling.
- Your school is pretty fucked if someone who can't spell is topping it.

groomos1

HSC
don't memorise essays, that's the worst thing to do. Write a general essay for each unit of work e.g frankenstein/bladerunner with all the general issues and themes included. That way you're more versatile and it's easier to adjust if you get a curveball in the exam

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
don't memorise essays, that's the worst thing to do. Write a general essay for each unit of work e.g frankenstein/bladerunner with all the general issues and themes included. That way you're more versatile and it's easier to adjust if you get a curveball in the exam
I'm actually going to do this... But im going to prepare two essays for each module..

1 memorised and 1 general..~~... And belonging ill most likely do the same.

HSC
Uni Grad
agree, write around 2000 words so that you'll have enough room to pick out stuff on the day, depending on the question.

jamesfirst

HSC
I'm actually going to do this... But im going to prepare two essays for each module..

1 memorised and 1 general..~~... And belonging ill most likely do the same.
I've got Module C and AoS essays to memorise now!!!

yay

vemanjj

HSC
Uni Grad
I've got Module C and AoS essays to memorise now!!!

yay
Don't you see, you dont have to memorise any of your essays.
If you have to remember something, make it the short story
But people who remember essays don't get the marks coz they don't answer the question.
The english markers want people to know the content and then answer the question using it.
They can tell if its pre prepared and they don't like that coz most don't answer the question.

All you have to remember are your concepts, thesis statements and quotes.
You make it hard for yourself.
Maybe you should try listening to the people on this forum who are trying to help you instead of thinking you know better.

krnofdrg

HSC
Uni Grad
Agreed ^ + Memorising essays is a pretty difficult process when you have so much to other things to remember from other subjects at this point of time.. memorising is too risky also..

I got caught in trials for one of my modules, since i didn;'t answer the question and my essay was prepared (teacher found out).. It was perfectly crafted, i got 19/20 before the trials for it.. (but since it was memorised and not realted to the Q, she gave me 15 and negative feedback)...

for hsc..
I might memorise maybe belonging, creative, Module A.. But module b and C im going to use the above^^^^.. I did this in trials I got 19/20 and 18/20.. using pure content and my brain :).... although i didn't have the complexity of vocab from my prepared essays but the teachers liked it anyway...

HSC
Uni Grad
Agreed ^ + Memorising essays is a pretty difficult process when you have so much to other things to remember from other subjects at this point of time.. memorising is too risky also..

I got caught in trials for one of my modules, since i didn;'t answer the question and my essay was prepared (teacher found out).. It was perfectly crafted, i got 19/20 before the trials for it.. (but since it was memorised and not realted to the Q, she gave me 15 and negative feedback)...

for hsc..
I might memorise maybe belonging, creative, Module A.. But module b and C im going to use the above^^^^.. I did this in trials I got 19/20 and 18/20.. using pure content and my brain :).... although i didn't have the complexity of vocab from my prepared essays but the teachers liked it anyway...
as for belonging essay, I don't think they will ask too much (they need to cater to all questions), so maybe memorizing would be okay, but memorize your points, quotes, techniques and analysis (unless if you can BS on the day)
for the belonging creative, memorize it because it will be too hard to write a creative off scratch and get good marks at the same time. Learn how to adapt the creative into the stimulus provided.
For module A, they can ask quite a lot since the question is in depth with the texts that you're prescribed (as opposed to belonging or mod C), so don't memorize an essay for that
and mod B is same with mod A

jamesfirst

HSC

for hsc..
^ Irony ??

lol

Idc what people say, I'm memorising my essay (advice from my tutor - state rank in Ext 1 and Ext 2 eng). But I'm going to relate it to the question :D

jamesfirst

HSC
for the belonging creative, memorize it because it will be too hard to write a creative off scratch and get good marks at the same time. Learn how to adapt the creative into the stimulus provided.
My friend did his creative on the spot and wrote about not belonging in the exam room.

He managed to pull off 11-13 or something.

krnofdrg

HSC
Uni Grad
as for belonging essay, I don't think they will ask too much (they need to cater to all questions), so maybe memorizing would be okay, but memorize your points, quotes, techniques and analysis (unless if you can BS on the day)
For module A, they can ask quite a lot since the question is in depth with the texts that you're prescribed (as opposed to belonging or mod C), so don't memorize an essay for that
and mod B is same with mod A
Im doing standard btw if you noticed haha..

Yeap i got belonging, however i got 3 Peter Skrynezki's and 2-3 backup texts just in case... (This is the true way to prepare for english)

My memorised essay for trials got me 14/15, however it will be difficult to replicate since i got 'lucky'. so im following a more complex and planned process this time.

Creative yes im still writing mine, my trial one was dreadful and cliche which got me 8/15 LOL.....

But for Module A: It;s pretty generic. The module is called 'Distinctively Visual'. it's like how images and visual elements are able to convey meanings and ideas..

Module B and C can be very ambigious for standard, they've asked for specific scenes and ideas before so this is why im going to prepare alot.

im aiming for b6 in standard btw also haha.

musing

HSC
My friend did his creative on the spot and wrote about not belonging in the exam room.

For my CSSA trials, I did my creative story on the spot because my story didn't fit to any of the stimulus. I wrote about some bullshit about this guy lying down on the grass and how he did not belong to the society...

I got 14/15.

krnofdrg

HSC
Uni Grad
^ Irony ??

lol

Idc what people say, I'm memorising my essay (advice from my tutor - state rank in Ext 1 and Ext 2 eng). But I'm going to relate it to the question :D
hehe WAIT??

my tutor got a state rank also in Ext 1 and Ext 2.. and he also told me to memorise my essays...

Do you go Laplace by any chance? or is your tutor called Andrew???

herbs1

HSC
tutors can go suck it. Don't memorise. It's such a waste of time, and if they throw you a curveball, you're actually fucked. lol. Remember when the q asked for 1 RT in 2009 and like 10,000 people complained or something? Yeah. That's going to be any one of you.

For the exam:

paper 1:
sec 1: Obviously just practice techniques
sec 2: Have 2-3 ideas for a general short story, but don't memorise it. Be creative on the day for extra marks.
sec 3: have 2-3 thesis statements with supporting evidence created. Choose the one which fits the best and adapt it, or don't choose any, make one up in 2 min and use supporting evidence from others

paper 2:
Mod A: perhaps the easiest. Anyone who needs to memorise this is an idiot. How hard can it get? Just remember 3-4 themes
Mod B: Just know your text really well and win at life?
Mod C: Technical module. You can actually get away with memorising this one easily, but there's no point.

Personally, I wouldn't want to risk it.

A-Nonentity

HSC
well there is a problem with memorising essays, you can memorise a generic structure with your quotes and features and what not but not a full essay,as even if you think you can adapt it, like I did for trials, you get lost in simply writing your essay as you had practised it. Same with creative For my creative i tried to re-adapt it to the question since I got 14/15 for it and I did so in the first paragraph but went straight back to the normal story. They told me it was an interesting and clever story but that the idea's of 'change' got lost in the 'action' >_<

I hatee englisshhhhhh

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Don't you see, you dont have to memorise any of your essays.
If you have to remember something, make it the short story
But people who remember essays don't get the marks coz they don't answer the question.
The english markers want people to know the content and then answer the question using it.
They can tell if its pre prepared and they don't like that coz most don't answer the question.

All you have to remember are your concepts, thesis statements and quotes.
You make it hard for yourself.
Maybe you should try listening to the people on this forum who are trying to help you instead of thinking you know better.
Memorising works for some people, beginning of year 11 I didn't memorise essays and got marks like 6/20 and when I started memorising all my essays I regularly got 17+/20. Memorising essays is the only option for people like me that are naturally shit at english.

HSC
Uni Grad

For my CSSA trials, I did my creative story on the spot because my story didn't fit to any of the stimulus. I wrote about some bullshit about this guy lying down on the grass and how he did not belong to the society...

I got 14/15.
It seems like that Jamesfirst friend and musing respectively both have a flair for english. unfortunately I really suck at english so I have to end up memorizing a creative instead.

Memorising works for some people, beginning of year 11 I didn't memorise essays and got marks like 6/20 and when I started memorising all my essays I regularly got 17+/20. Memorising essays is the only option for people like me that are naturally shit at english.
for heaps of people that works quite well, for me it works to an extent.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)