• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Do you believe in God? (2 Viewers)

Do you believe in God?

• Total voters

RANK 1

HSC
Re: Do you believe is God?

What if you were blind all along? What if you had no senses all along? And if your senses go away after a while...does that person/thing really exist to you anymore? Why would it exist to you anymore, you can't see, feel or hear it? Does this mean existence must be based on our senses?
as i said you cant disprove that something exists when there's there's nothing to disprove.

Why is it low? What exactly makes it low?
the probability that an all powerful being existing that can bend the laws of the universe at will doesnt sound all that likely to me. there may be higher beings than humans out in the universe, however the existence of a 'god-like' being would be very unlikely.

Precisely. But from the perspective of a theist, that would be an accurate definition of God. Since a theist's definition of God, aligns to the scientific definition of energy, does this mean that God is energy?
no, i wasnt serious about god=energy, i just happened to be studying physics when i read your post.

cheese_cheese

HSC

Tomorrow, hundreds of millions (if not billions) will attend Sunday Church services tomorrow. The proof is in the numbers - all of these people have been touched by God at some point in their life.

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad

as i said you cant disprove that something exists when there's there's nothing to disprove.
Once again, does this mean existence must be based on our senses?

the probability that an all powerful being existing that can bend the laws of the universe at will doesnt sound all that likely to me. there may be higher beings than humans out in the universe, however the existence of a 'god-like' being would be very unlikely.
How can one rationally judge the probability of such an event when we know so little about our universe? How does God bend the laws of the universe? I would argue God doesn't bend any universal laws, because like I said earlier, "God is the freedom to allow other freedoms to exist".

no, i wasnt serious about god=energy, i just happened to be studying physics when i read your post.
Well I was serious about it. Why can't God, in it's pure unadulterated form be energy? According to the law of the conservation of energy, energy cannot be created or destroyed. Ask any theist and they'll tell you the same thing, God cannot be created or destroyed. Energy is power, just like God. Energy can transfer forms, in theory, so can God. So stop thinking of God as a magical being up in the clouds. God is pure energy.

RANK 1

HSC

Tomorrow, hundreds of millions (if not billions) will attend Sunday Church services tomorrow. The proof is in the numbers - all of these people have been touched by God at some point in their life.
Tomorrow, at least 5.2 billion will not attend Sunday Church services tomorrow. The proof is in the numbers.

RANK 1

HSC

How can one rationally judge the probability of such an event when we know so little about our universe? How does God bend the laws of the universe? I would argue God doesn't bend any universal laws, because like I said earlier, "God is the freedom to allow other freedoms to exist".

Well I was serious about it. Why can't God, in it's pure unadulterated form be energy? According to the law of the conservation of energy, energy cannot be created or destroyed. Ask any theist and they'll tell you the same thing, God cannot be created or destroyed. Energy is power, just like God. Energy can transfer forms, in theory, so can God. So stop thinking of God as a magical being up in the clouds. God is pure energy.
because when i say 'god' im referring to the christian god not the concept of god

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad

because when i say 'god' im referring to the christian god not the concept of god
Then what's the point of this thread? You don't have to necessarily be Christian to believe in a God. Like I've said, God transcends any religion.

I think your against the idea of religion. But you don't have to be religious to believe in God.

Oh and I took the time to respond to your reply, at least reply to my questions.

RANK 1

HSC

no, its based on reality. you either exist or you dont

because from what we do know i can safely deduce that a god like being doesnt exist, and for the rest of the questions without a solid definition of god, i cant answer.

Galladrim

HSC

I can't see the wind.

Does that mean it doesn't exist?

I can feel it.

I see it through its actions, how it brushes against trees and bushes and makes them move.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC

When I was a Christain, I was a Pentecostal. Commonly known as the "happy clappers". Well, I knew a Muslim who was not practicing and I was not a practicing Christian. I began practicing again and so did the Muslim. We spoke about religion and then I initially thought Islam was strange. However, as I began to look into many sources such as practicing Muslims, Sheikhs, I even spoke to my Christian pastor, I realised that Islam had what I needed. The main reason I converted was because I didn't believe that Jesus could be God, and that God must be one, with no partner or any other associate. So basically, the concept of the Trinity I studied and I no longer agreed with it.

It took me awhile to realise, and I am greatful that I did this. It has changed my life.

Also, it is nice to know people are willing to ask me questions without any rude statements, etc. I like to have civil conversations, and ignore anyone who refuses to speak in a mature and respectful way.

This shit is infuriating

Also Jezzmo best poster

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)