Do you believe in God? (1 Viewer)

Do you believe in God?

• Total voters

therealmiggles

HSC
Re: Do you believe is God?

i dont even understand what those 3 points were addressing

he didnt ask you if people are awful or what free will is or what some philosophers thought (#3 doesnt address anything you are just stating that Nietzsche et al question the existence of god)

are you a moron
-.-'
YES I'm a 'moron' -.-'
YES I'm 'Italian' -.-'
and
YES I'm 'good in bed' -.-'
You make some pretty broad generalisations mate. 'SHE' asked me 'WHY I believe in God'. I answered to the best of my beliefs. It's a forum, people ask questions and others answer. I'll take your answers and you take mine. And no I don't have a reference because the book wasn't mine, PLEASE FORGIVE ME! o_O

boris

Banned
HSC

tl;dr

why do you choose christianity over islam or any other religion?

Garygaz

HSC

1) Humansa haven't ALWAYS been aweful human beings. And people always focus on the awefulness of human beings but we can be pretty good too.
human's have always been awful. arguably, we've gotten better as time has gone by. people have been killing people since the beginning of time. your point is more opinion than fact. where is your evidence that people haven't 'always' been awful. i can link you massacres and crusades and stonings from all throughout time. i'll assume you can use google, however.

2) Free will, is freedom. It's the freedom to sin, which we all have, but it's also the freedom to ask and get frogiveness for those sins.
yeh but don't you see the contradiction here? if there was 'nothing' and god created 'everything', then he must have created evil. according to christians we are made in his image. we couldn't do something unless he gave us the ability to do so. evil wouldn't exist unless he made it.

it's sadistic to create something and inherently watch it suffer. that's like saying i'm going to put a snake in a cage with a mouse. i know that the snake is predisposed to wanting to kill and eat the mouse, yet i put it in there anyway, because the snake has free will and can choose its own destiny. i put the snake in this situation, and then i ask for its forgiveness for following its instincts of which i created in the first place. nonsensical, huh?

3) Nietzsche also said 'If God exists and does not helpthose who suffer then he is a monster; and if he cannot help them, he is not God, he does not exist'. I like looking at people like Nietzsche and Satre and Kant, people who want proof of the existence of God because don't think I haven't wanted to know for sure as well.
yet modern day philosophy has come to the conclusion that there is no god. because to find universal truth, you must take nothing as a truth. god is simply a construct of the human mind. in a universe of science and reality, we are being asked to believe in something which cannot be proved or observed. you should also realize that 95% of the world religions have died out. men such as yourself would have been saying these exact same things (albeit, slightly different) in the justification of their beliefs.

I was born into a Christian family; Church on Sunday and all that jazz. I guess I started my questioning when I was about 11 and was abused, an event which has makes me suffer everyday.
And it's true, how can God, who is powerful and all allow suffering? This year I watched the death of my brother happen before my eyes and that question came up again. So how can I believe in God, who allows suffering?
I believe in God because he gave me life, and allows me the freedom to reject him which is more than anyone can promise me. My parents, my friends, my boyfriend, when I reject them take a long time to forgive me, if they ever do.
But God forgives me, and that is all I need to know. Unconditional love, something that no parent or friend or boyfriend has ever been able to give to me. And let's not forget that it was the same sinfullness that God created that killed his son (who's existence has actually been proven). We rejcted him. I reject him. But he rose from the dead and that is a pretty powerful gift. If you don't believe in the ressurrection, take it as literature. What does the resurrection mean? It means that Jesus spat in the face of death, of suffering. That's how our freedom is guaranteed. We don't have to suffer, we don't have to sin because Jesus made sure that no one would ever have to die for their sins, because he did that for us.
Of course, the Genesis and Exodus are stories, I don't take them literally. I take them as literature, and that is how they resonate in me.
okay imagine this for a second. you were born in palestine or israel, whichever, it doesn't matter. you were born and raised either a jew or a muslim, your whole environment was based on this religious upbringing, and your school of thought is the same as it is now. do you really think that you wouldn't be a devout muslim or jew? that you would somehow see the light of a religion which has no foothold in your region? rather, is it not more rational to say that it is the idea of religion and the comfort of a god that is compelling to your mind rather than that of a particular religion?

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad

I think you should stop watching TV because if you actually knew ANYTHING about Christianity you wouldn't say it was contradictory. Also, what is different about the Christian God, that makes it any 'stupider' than Allah or Yaweh?
Put your ignorance to a good use and keep your mouth shut.
Mate, I do SoR2 and have been educated in Catholic/Christian theology for my entire life. It's contradictory.
Yaweh is the Christian God btw.
Also, Allah is just a different version of the same god.

Especially since Australia is such a multicultural country, there is very little to do with religion. That is why so many people are ignorant about religion, because TV shows nothing, the Internet is always filled with bias discussions and schools never go into enough depth about religion in general.
Public schools, being secular, aren't supposed to mention god and religion pretty much at all, except in Studies of Religion class, if it runs, which it wouldn't.
Also, multiculturalism has nothing to do with it. Most immigrants are Christian.

To the TV show shit; Mate, I don't force Home and Away into your Church, so, why should you be allowed to force Church onto my TV. Does the Golden Rule "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" mean nothing to you.

Also, Jesus' commandment of love states that you have to love your neighbour and enemies, etc. and you're coming off pretty hateful towards general society.

Haemolymph

Banned
HSC

I think that God does exist and he loves us all, whether we like it or not and I dont beleve that tv is to blame for people becaoming atheists.

Garygaz

HSC

it's like the movie 300. we stand strong in this thread, using logic to trounce wave after wave of believers. and then when you think you've beaten some, another 50 appear.

I think that God does exist and he loves us all, whether we like it or not and I dont beleve that tv is to blame for people becaoming atheists.
conversely, i think god doesn't exist whether you like it or not. I believe that human beings inability to deal with the idea of death and nothingness is to blame for the creation of god.

Haemolymph

Banned
HSC

conversely, i think god doesn't exist whether you like it or not. I believe that human beings inability to deal with the idea of death and nothingness is to blame for the creation of god.
That's okay. You can believe what you want and he'll still love you. :)
I can deal with death. I believe that the Kingdom of Heaven is a place on Earth that we must attain through peace, not some magical afterlife place. I also, believe that the book of Revelations might be referring to Jesus' return when we reach this state and hence, we will be with God and everyone will be peaceful and all the bad people will be dead. So, it'll be like heaven. :)

Garygaz

HSC

just read that and gave up all hope

Garygaz

HSC

god exists because you read about him in the bible, right?

Haemolymph

Banned
HSC

god exists because you read about him in the bible, right?
No. God exists because I believe in him. I can sense him all around me in my everyday life. Can't you feel a spirit around you at some times in your life?

Chrissiee

Frost Yourselves
HSC

No. God exists because I believe in him. I can sense him all around me in my everyday life. Can't you feel a spirit around you at some times in your life?
^^^ just asking for it now.

Garygaz

HSC

Did the god of gods, zues, exist because the greeks believed in him? did the ancient pharoah gods exist because the egyptians believed in them? what does your sense perception of feeling good have to do with there being a god.

surely you can see the hypocrisy in what you are saying

Chrissiee

Frost Yourselves
HSC

What do you mean? :)
I know, that when I go to Church I can feel the spirit in every hymn we sing and in every prayer we say.
And we respect you for that, but how many other people do you think will admit they feel spirits? (esp considering the majority of people in this link have said they don't believe in God)

Haemolymph

Banned
HSC

Did the god of gods, zues, exist because the greeks believed in him? did the ancient pharoah gods exist because the egyptians believed in them? what does your sense perception of feeling good have to do with there being a god.
surely you can see the hypocrisy in what you are saying
Maybe those gods were all those civilisations' interpretations of God.
I can feel the spirit of God around me, and everyone has this feeling in their life, that is what makes me believe. :)
No, I can't my interpretation of God is what it is because that is what I believe.

And we respect you for that, but how many other people do you think will admit they feel spirits? (esp considering the majority of people in this link have said they don't believe in God)
Maybe you don't see it as feeling a spirit, but I know everyone has that feeling in there lives that there's someone there to help them or their with them. :)

michaeljennings

HSC

Last term, our school hired some dude to talk to us about Christianity. He claimed that he died in Singapore because he got Tetanus. He claimed that he woke up and saw Jesus and Satan, and that they were discussing where he should go (hell/heaven). And then all of a sudden he woke up for real and he said that the doctors ran all these tests on him etc to find out how he had come back to life. And they couldnt figure out why his heart had stopped beating and then days later he returned to life. He said he goes around the world, talking with other supposed miracle cases who have come back from the dead.

It all seemed pretty bs to me but a lot of people believed his story...............................

boris

Banned
HSC

thats called schizophrenia son

Haemolymph

Banned
HSC

Last term, our school hired some dude to talk to us about Christianity. He claimed that he died in Singapore because he got Tetanus. He claimed that he woke up and saw Jesus and Satan, and that they were discussing where he should go (hell/heaven). And then all of a sudden he woke up for real and he said that the doctors ran all these tests on him etc to find out how he had come back to life. And they couldnt figure out why his heart had stopped beating and then days later he returned to life. He said he goes around the world, talking with other supposed miracle cases who have come back from the dead.

It all seemed pretty bs to me but a lot of people believed his story...............................
That does sound pretty bs.

thats called schizophrenia son
I'm a girl and no it's not. I don't hear voices or anything, I just feel the spirit of the community and the Church and God.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)