Do you like english (1 Viewer)

DO YOU LIKE ENGLISH (THE SUBJECT)

• Total voters

shaon0

HSC
lolokay said:
as a school subject I didn't like it at all since it was verrry boring (except in 1st term. most of my subjects were somewhat enjoyable then). I mostly just sat there doing basically nothing
too easy?

jewoneimon

HSC
i hate english
i don't get the subject at all....
most the subjects i do are humanities subjects which should require good english but i'm doing pretty ok in them... strange

tulZzz

HSC
I HATE ENGLISH SO MUCH that i will fail it!

lol MATHS IN FUN!

jellybelly59

HSC
i don't love english and i don't hate english... i like english because we have a good teacher who's passionate and we learn a lot however when it comes down to getting marks everything just goes downhill. Effort is not a direct translation into marks because english is just down to self interpretation. Yes when they mark they have a marking guideline but in every dotpoint there is "writes with flair and sophistication"... e.g if you end up writing too flamboyantly it's "verbose" and when you reduce the vocab it's not "sophisticated" enough. that's why im kind of in between

edit: i read over my comment and i thought i might just make the point just in case i get flamed... im not criticising people who put in heaps of effort and getting high marks and saying they don't deserve it it's just something that happens to me even though i put in effort towards english

Last edited:

Betty Zhang

HSC
English is my favourite besides Japanese and art!!!! I also love history.

I HATE HATE HATE maths and all sciences. :ninja:

5233andy

HSC
For all you Maths lovers out there, how do you express your opinions about the state of the world with numbers and formulae? We all have opinions - when we feel the need to express them, what do we use? We use language, which is fundamental to the umbrella of English. :D

Finx

HSC
5233andy said:
For all you Maths lovers out there, how do you express your opinions about the state of the world with numbers and formulae? We all have opinions - when we feel the need to express them, what do we use? We use language, which is fundamental to the umbrella of English. :D
To me, you sound like the biggest drama queen. You said we all feel the NEED to express our opinions? Isn't that a bit subjective?

I'll quote myself from a previous thread.
Finx said:
Hate English. Wanna know how I see it?
"
USE THIS STRICT FORMAT FOR WRITING.
HOWEVER, WRITE WITH FLAIR AND USE UNIQUE CONCEPTS.
BUT MAKE SURE TO STICK EXACTLY TO THE FORMAT.
DON'T OVER-DO THE FLAIR, OR WE'LL MARK YOU DOWN.
BUT MAKE SURE TO INCLUDE IT, BECUASE US MARKERS GET BORED OF MARKING."

lolokay

HSC
everyone knows that you can't express your opinion unless you do english

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
5233andy said:
I could argue that Maths builds up logical thinking as well, you know.

I think that sometimes people's arguments are diluted through the constant interchanging of Maths and English with HSC Maths and HSC English (I'm guilty of it too :p). English is important, but is HSC English important? Maths is important, but is HSC Maths important?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I like English - I don't necessarily do well in it.

NEVAGIVEUP

HSC
I dearly love and enjoy english; English has been the best part of schooling and it's the only subject where you can write what you believe, unlike science and math which all have designated answers, where's the fun in that!

5233andy

HSC
Finx said:
To me, you sound like the biggest drama queen. You said we all feel the NEED to express our opinions? Isn't that a bit subjective?

I'll quote myself from a previous thread.

Well look at that, you just expressed your opinion - hence there was an involvement with English. Enough said.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
NEVAGIVEUP said:
I dearly love and enjoy english; English has been the best part of schooling and it's the only subject where you can write what you believe, unlike science and math which all have designated answers, where's the fun in that!
What if the markers' established opinions don't conform to your views?

Only aspect of Enlglish that I have an issue with is the subjectivity that comes in all the time...My friend got 6/20 for an essay because his view didn't conform with the teacher's. I read his and it was bloody good. My friend complained to the teacher but the teacher basically dismissed that complaint by saying that "I am a marker, so I am right".

wtf...

5233andy

HSC
Continuum said:
I could argue that Maths builds up logical thinking as well, you know.

I think that sometimes people's arguments are diluted through the constant interchanging of Maths and English with HSC Maths and HSC English (I'm guilty of it too :p). English is important, but is HSC English important? Maths is important, but is HSC Maths important?
Well perhaps there is a struggle for the need of both English and Maths. Yes, I admit to the fact that all lives will involve an element of Maths, but at the same time, English or language, rather, allows one to develop opinions about whatever it may be. One thing about the English department is that it values your opinion(s). If you're able to sustain your opinion in an essay, coupled with the obvious, techniques, you will succeed. I do agree, however, the fact that Maths builds logic and the same with problem solving skills, but it's so objective - i.e. cold - there's only right and wrong.

5233andy

HSC
lyounamu said:
What if the markers' established opinions don't conform to your views?

Only aspect of Enlglish that I have an issue with is the subjectivity that comes in all the time...My friend got 6/20 for an essay because his view didn't conform with the teacher's. I read his and it was bloody good. My friend complained to the teacher but the teacher basically dismissed that complaint by saying that "I am a marker, so I am right".

wtf...
Well the teacher is somewhat ignorant in this situation. THe key to sustaining your argument is obviously through the mention of the effect of techniques. Even if the marker digresses with your opinions, if there is a strong foundation of techniques (and etc), I don't see why one could fail.

I would definitely get the essay re-marked, based on the illiterate comment made by the marker.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
5233andy said:
Well the teacher is somewhat ignorant in this situation. THe key to sustaining your argument is obviously through the mention of the effect of techniques. Even if the marker digresses with your opinions, if there is a strong foundation of techniques (and etc), I don't see why one could fail.

I would definitely get the essay re-marked, based on the illiterate comment made by the marker.
That's virtually impossible as that teacher basically stated all the list of "reasons" why he should get 6/20 despite his explanation.

And no, sustaining argument with techniques that are "irrelevant" will further alienate the focus of the themes and expose the writer to the risk of worse mark. My friend's work was great but his techniques, in that teachers' eyes were load of crap and she didn't accept them simply by saying that "your message was poorly projected and I didn't like the ways in which you presented your task". And on the other hand, some random guy who bullshited his way through his task got 19. Now that guy is the top in English now...

5233andy

HSC
lyounamu said:
That's virtually impossible as that teacher basically stated all the list of "reasons" why he should get 6/20 despite his explanation.

And no, sustaining argument with techniques that are "irrelevant" will further alienate the focus of the themes and expose the writer to the risk of worse mark. My friend's work was great but his techniques, in that teachers' eyes were load of crap and she didn't accept them simply by saying that "your message was poorly projected and I didn't like the ways in which you presented your task". And on the other hand, some random guy who bullshited his way through his task got 19. Now that guy is the top in English now...
Well... perhaps the response was simply out of touch with the question. Other than that, I'd encourage a second opinion of the essay.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
5233andy said:
Well... perhaps the response was simply out of touch with the question. Other than that, I'd encourage a second opinion of the essay.
Well, that's what I would have thought. But my other friends who are really awesome in English only got 5, 10, 9, 12, 11 respectively.

And some shitty kids got 18, 16 and 15.

I place my blame on that teacher's stupid ideology.

5233andy

HSC
lyounamu said:
Well, that's what I would have thought. But my other friends who are really awesome in English only got 5, 10, 9, 12, 11 respectively.

And some shitty kids got 18, 16 and 15.

I place my blame on that teacher's stupid ideology.
lol well we all have our opinions. I've been told by my teacher that I have talent in English, however, it isn't reflected through my marks which are somewhat dismal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)