Do you lose marks for having 2 related texts? (1 Viewer)

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
well the current test imo is not concentrated enough on skills of analysis and constructing an essay.

nowadays its just how well you can bullshit ur essay (if u have a prepared one) into the question at hand.

most of the time you wouldn't have to change THAT MUCH either.

Ostentatious

jfK1c45g2f4Of56Eyd4f57cxZ
HSC
I didn't memorise anything but the question structure of all the practise papers teachers have given me over the year, so I would have been screwed anyway.

AnandDNA

HSC
i just hope they disregard the shitter ORT because i reckon my 2nd related text was more analysed

HSC
Word for word:
"Demonstrate how your prescribed text and ONE other related text of your own choosing represent this interpretation of belonging"

The quote being:
Understanding nourishes belonging...
a lack of understanding prevents it.

I think ONE is pretty clear, as in 1 and only 1, don't do 2 becuase i say 1.

HSC
Uni Grad
Yehhh well.... for us less observant folk, cut us some slack yeh?
kk sounds good

Woteva636

HSC
I guess the issue is that some people wouldnt even read the ONE other text bit, they would be to busy trying to twist their memorised essay to fit the question. I now realise why my teacher told me not to memorise an essay, and I'm glad I didnt.
No, i dont think you'll get marked down, but you won't get marked on the 2nd text. one more thing....HOW THE HELL DID YOU HAVE SPARE TIME????? god work for it though:spin:

xplosion32

HSC
to be very honest.. i think it's only fair you get deducted marks if u do more than one because:

1) even though i had a memorised essay with 3 related texts, I managed to write a really shit roughly 800 word essay and its not fair that someone who writes on 2 with a lot less depth gets more marks than me
2) you completely ignored the question and showed u depend purely on memory...the question probably was very purposely worded that way to break the memory habit

sorry but i think its only fair :/
im with u on this one

HSC
I wrote on TWO zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
Take out the 2nd text there's 6 (Maybe 7) solid pages maybe 12/15 lol

Ostentatious

HSC
I didnt memorise an essay nor did I practise them, I read the q and wrote an answer. My fault for not noticing the 1 text part.

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
Yeah, everyone was talking about this at the library after the exam...
I did 1 related text, managed to write 7 pages of decent work :)

But imo, you shouldn't be deducted marks, your just adding a bit more depth and understanding, I doubt thats something negative..

anyways, 1 + 1 texts makes integration MUCH MUCH more easier

Avoodibaba

HSC
Fair enough that they only ask for one, it is good to make things different.

My problem is the way that they did not warn at all that it could only use one related text. My school, and i assume almost every other school in the state, have told use to prepare at least two, and every single assessment has involved two.

If anyone had warned me of the possibility of only using one text i would be fine with it.

I understand that they don't want us to memorize essays and only learn one part of each related text so that we only have a shallow understanding of them, but I think a lot of people like me wouldn't have even registered that it said ONE text, and just done two, and the fact that 25% of my essay may not count because of one silly word that never occured to me or half the state that it could change, then I think its a bit wrong :/

BOS if you want to shake things up do so, but don't change something that you have enforced all year, it seems just spiteful. First we get the ATAR and now this!

cassiecocaine

HSC
Nuuuuu. I seriously need to learn to read the question carefully ;~;

Honestly, I never read that part of the question - yes as soon as I saw the quote I was trying to twist my memorized essay to fit it. I did 2 ORM, and it was only when I got outside the exam room did I realise I should of only done one. Which is a shame, because my essay fit the question PERFECTLY. Will they only look at the first poem/ORM? Or the best?

Ostentatious

HSC
oh wells, not like i can prove myself so ill just lay back :D

ajay12

Can count to potato
HSC
Idiots, some of you will fail your exams if you don't read or do the question properly.

Section 1: Pretty easy, though some of the sources were too long.
Section 2: Wrote a pretty basic story, nothing flash. Maybe 10-11?
Section 3: Wrote this straight after questions, it was a pretty easy question and easy to relate back from my texts to the question.

HSC
Uni Grad
Fair enough that they only ask for one, it is good to make things different.

My problem is the way that they did not warn at all that it could only use one related text. My school, and i assume almost every other school in the state, have told use to prepare at least two, and every single assessment has involved two.

If anyone had warned me of the possibility of only using one text i would be fine with it.

I understand that they don't want us to memorize essays and only learn one part of each related text so that we only have a shallow understanding of them, but I think a lot of people like me wouldn't have even registered that it said ONE text, and just done two, and the fact that 25% of my essay may not count because of one silly word that never occured to me or half the state that it could change, then I think its a bit wrong :/

BOS if you want to shake things up do so, but don't change something that you have enforced all year, it seems just spiteful. First we get the ATAR and now this!
+1, not aware that they can ask for 1, thought it was more likely they would ask for 3, sly bastards

cole-

HSC
N/A
Man.
I agree with the guy above. Cut us some slack.
You people did it correctly. We're all freaking out.
And as if 80% of students didn't have a memorised essay?
Come on.

Freckles14

HSC
I was thrown a little by the ONE related. Then again the lecturer guy at the ETA guy back in March implied that it might be one, I think.

They can't take marks off you for using two relateds - they do positive marking, like giving you marks for stuff you got right and disregarding stuff you got wrong. They'd probably just ignore all mention of the second one. They might take one off for not answering the question, or because it'd disrupt your structure and flow if you were referring to a text they weren't marking, which might kill your synthesis a little... but I think that's the most you'd lose for it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)