Do you lose marks for having 2 related texts? (1 Viewer)

Pain

I am Jack's wasted life.
HSC
how isn't two texts (prescribed + one of ur own choosing) NOT a variety of texts?
When have two things been referred to as a variety and not a pair? Furthermore, variety usually has the connotation of more then two.

harryc

HSC
surely if u have eyes u only used one related text, if not marks should be taken off for poor reading skills or there should be more visits to the optometrist.
It's not a question on not reading what's in front of you. It's a quesiton of the HSC being pretty much on the most intensely stressful periods of your life leading up to this point, and with English being the first exam for a fair few people, I'm not sure the only one who nerves got the better of. Yes, I should have read it more clearly. I'm sure I did see that it said One text. My mind just didn't process it, and I think I subconciously rejected it, because it just didn't seem right after everything we'd been told all year. So don't friggin say anybody who did two related can't read. Because that's just downright untrue.

...and thats my rant of the day.

ronnie2151

HSC
Best post of the day lol. Generally no. But it markers get suspicious they can easily go and check it out but it rarely happens...as long as you wrote about it pretty well and it didn't seem extremely dodgy then you should be fine. Considering there are HEAPS of possibly texts to do even if they don't find it on the net, they would not ignore that as a text because really it could be anything...could be a painting at ur supermarket they were selling that you used as a text. They won't find it so your pretty safe :)
LMAO, glad to be honoured as the best post of the day, umm.. I really did'nt look at the question and just made up a painting by some random person who I hope does not really exist in real life. But hope fully they don't look at it and move on. I absolutely raped the short answer section and creative writing was not that bad. I wanna get 36 out of 45.

Nuclear

HSC
Ok, for all you twat faced douches, here's the story for people who were like me.

We sit down, read the question and off we go. It has been TWO related text for 10 years so why did we have any reason to suspect any change? We didn't have a memorised essay and that's not why we missed it. We missed it because it was a ridiculous tactic by the BoS used to weed out people who had memorised essays and caught other people in the process.

I HATE people saying that I had a memorised essay, because I DIDN'T. All I had in mind were a few techniques and quotes.

Along with that, where it says "refer to ONE related text" isn't part of the question, it is information ABOUT the question. So we didn't misread the question, we just didn't pay careful attention. to the extra information.

Something ELSE? The outcomes assessed aren't "Refers to ONE related text", they ARE however, "how well you: analyse, explain and assess the ways belonging is represented in a variety of texts"

Therefore the Board of Studies can NOT actually mark those who have written two texts down, nor can they even mark them differently because we MET THE SAME OUTCOMES.

If you think it's unfair, then feel free to have a bitch about it, but that's the way it is.

P.S. I think it was more of a test then a trap.

harryc

HSC
Well said. Exactly what I was trying to say (except you said it much better!)

Triquetral

HSC
LMAO, glad to be honoured as the best post of the day, umm.. I really did'nt look at the question and just made up a painting by some random person who I hope does not really exist in real life. But hope fully they don't look at it and move on. I absolutely raped the short answer section and creative writing was not that bad. I wanna get 36 out of 45.
You'll be fine don't worry. If that's your realistic aim then I'd imagine you will have no worries. If I was a marker, and saw a text that clearly had been made up but still eloquently answered the question as if you wouldn't just give them the marks for it! The markers would need to be complete fuck wits to not give you the marks imo.

My personal problem is the fact that I don't see what's any different about writing about 1 more related text (even though the question didn't ask it) compared to say writing 1 more poem of like the rest of the state who prepared essays they just drew out their essays with absolute crap. Personally I like to run by the example of you ask for 3 examples of how awesome ice cream is and I'll give you 4. Always give the markers more than they want...I mean in this case dunno how that will work but I don't see why they would treat it poorly its no different than writing about other texts...as long as it fits the question etc we should be marked as normal.

yibbon

HSC
N/A
We sit down, read the question and off we go. It has been TWO related text for 10 years so why did we have any reason to suspect any change?
Sounds like you didn't read the question

Something ELSE? The outcomes assessed aren't "Refers to ONE related text", they ARE however, "how well you: analyse, explain and assess the ways belonging is represented in a variety of texts"
Prescribed + related qualifies 'variety' imo

I think those who wrote 2 should not be 'penalised', but should not have their 2nd text marked, I would have killed to use my 2nd text but was forced to adapt my 1st into something longer.

Damn I feel sorry for these people, I'd feel terrible too.

saberjaw

HSC
N/A
Called up BOS and indeed it seems that they will look at the entire paper and will ignore the worse of the two texts.

I think it's the only fair solution =/ Especially since raw marks are available this year. Imagine the hassles they would receive if people compared marks and saw that those who did two texts did better or the same as those who did one.

Unfortunately I also misread the question (I swear that ONE was a TWO xD It's just what we've been used to seeing. Nerves didn't help either). Don't appreciate those who generalise saying if you did two you prepared it. I've never prepared an essay (but that's more to do with my laziness. Haha)

It happens. We make mistakes. Move on, make sure to be careful with paper 2 (which is worth more so we can make up for it).

Gotta work extra hard now to ace mods. Off to study. Good luck everyone.

Nuclear

HSC
Sounds like you didn't read the question

Prescribed + related qualifies 'variety' imo

I think those who wrote 2 should not be 'penalised', but should not have their 2nd text marked, I would have killed to use my 2nd text but was forced to adapt my 1st into something longer.

Damn I feel sorry for these people, I'd feel terrible too.
Like I said, I didn't read the extra info thoroughly.

And guess what? Prescribed + TWO Related qualifies as "variety" too. I didn't say that Prescribed + ONE didn't..

It's not feeling "terrible" it's feeling....uncertain.

jellybelly59

HSC
Ok, for all you twat faced douches, here's the story for people who were like me.

We sit down, read the question and off we go. It has been TWO related text for 10 years so why did we have any reason to suspect any change? We didn't have a memorised essay and that's not why we missed it. We missed it because it was a ridiculous tactic by the BoS used to weed out people who had memorised essays and caught other people in the process.

I HATE people saying that I had a memorised essay, because I DIDN'T. All I had in mind were a few techniques and quotes.

Along with that, where it says "refer to ONE related text" isn't part of the question, it is information ABOUT the question. So we didn't misread the question, we just didn't pay careful attention. to the extra information.

Therefore the Board of Studies can NOT actually mark those who have written two texts down, nor can they even mark them differently because we MET THE SAME OUTCOMES.

If you think it's unfair, then feel free to have a bitch about it, but that's the way it is.

P.S. I think it was more of a test then a trap.
wow you read that part but you failed to read one related text in capitals - you decided to read the rubric over the question that would cost you 15 marks on the assumption that it was going to be 2 questions?

people are blowing the word variety out of proportion: A group that is distinguished from other groups by a specific characteristic or set of characteristics = no set number and although it bears the connotations of more than 2 by many but that doesn't necessarily mean that's the actual definition of variety.

The section with one other related texts is seperate from the quote but im pretty sure it said "Demonstrate how your prescribed text and ONE other related text of your own choosing represent this interpretation of belonging" in one whole bloody sentence/ So you just looked at the quote and make the assumption that it is an essay when it might not have been? or did you stop at "Demonstrate how your prescribed text...." and just decide not to read on... it's all very confusing

jellybelly59

HSC
Like I said, I didn't read the extra info thoroughly.

And guess what? Prescribed + TWO Related qualifies as "variety" too. I didn't say that Prescribed + ONE didn't..

It's not feeling "terrible" it's feeling....uncertain.
It certainly does... we don't deny that 2 + related = variety but the question again asked for 1

ronnie2151

HSC
You'll be fine don't worry. If that's your realistic aim then I'd imagine you will have no worries. If I was a marker, and saw a text that clearly had been made up but still eloquently answered the question as if you wouldn't just give them the marks for it! The markers would need to be complete fuck wits to not give you the marks imo.

My personal problem is the fact that I don't see what's any different about writing about 1 more related text (even though the question didn't ask it) compared to say writing 1 more poem of like the rest of the state who prepared essays they just drew out their essays with absolute crap. Personally I like to run by the example of you ask for 3 examples of how awesome ice cream is and I'll give you 4. Always give the markers more than they want...I mean in this case dunno how that will work but I don't see why they would treat it poorly its no different than writing about other texts...as long as it fits the question etc we should be marked as normal.

Well in a way it was good cause it caught out all those fucks who memorised essays and got me nervous who just went in their with quotes and techniques. But they should'nt mark you down for stating another text. But who in the world would've thought that BOS would pull that out of their ass after a decade. I think i speak for everyone when i say 'thats two tests BOS has fucked us over on, one Business=complete joke with a spelling mistake in it and english. Hope thats the last one of them. P.S does anyone reckon that they will mark business easy or scale it up??

jellybelly59

HSC
Called up BOS and indeed it seems that they will look at the entire paper and will ignore the worse of the two texts.

I think it's the only fair solution =/ Especially since raw marks are available this year. Imagine the hassles they would receive if people compared marks and saw that those who did two texts did better or the same as those who did one.
lol that sounds bs... it sounds like the people who did 2 have a safeguard or a buffer.

saberjaw

HSC
N/A
lol that sounds bs... it sounds like the people who did 2 have a safeguard or a buffer.
It's not any sort of buffer. If you did two it means you talked less in depth on the texts than someone who just did one. People who wrote on one text means more depth means better marks. I honestly don't expect to get out of a C range but can still be hopeful.

yuena4

HSC
so are u absolutely dead if you did one poem, one related and that's it but in detail....>_>

Nuclear

HSC
Well, at least I can repeat year 12 if I did THAT badly.

And if I still do badly? Again.

And if after that I still do badly? Again.

And I think maybe one more time but that's it xD.

yuena4

HSC
Well, at least I can repeat year 12 if I did THAT badly.

And if I still do badly? Again.

And if after that I still do badly? Again.

And I think maybe one more time but that's it xD.
thx m8...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)