Do you play the guitar? (1 Viewer)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
I would like to learn the bass, but I'm a Classical musician through and through. The guitar is something I'll just never enjoy playing, because I loathe comtemporary stuff and will never have the time of commitment to become reasonably adept.

Double Bass rocks though. :D

HSC
hmm
i started in year 4? played until early year 7...then i dont know why i quit but i did

i was pretty good back then....could still play stairway to heaven, a couple of clapton songs(tears in heaven and change the world) and a lot of other stuff..

hmmm...i wanna pick it up again...gotta find money&time tho

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
Originally posted by Lexicographer
I'm a Classical musician through and through.
Oh I don't know, you could make do with classical guitar. There's a separate branch to delve into.

For me, I've got my associate grade piano to get through, before I could find some time. Some of the current stuff is abysmal I agree, but there are good ones out there.

I personally prefer a violoncello over a double bass. :p The cool special clef devoted to it!

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Pah you want a real clef? Go the Viola! C'mon Alto Clef, where the middle line is Middle C!

Not much use for anything else, mind.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
classical guitar is pretty cool, the strings are a little easier on the fingers!

adsta

HSC
Originally posted by ND
By this time i was listening to Yngwie Malmsteen, Jason Becker, Dream Theater, Symphony X etc. (i.e. guitar virtuosos), and all i did was practice stuff like scales, sweep arpeggios, spring skipping, legato etc. (oh and i also began sightreading).
Good taste in music:)

I've been playing guitar for 13 years now, and teaching for 6 years. I play anything from the bands mentioned above (especially dream theater), to classical (absolutly love bach), and jazz etc.
Since starting uni last year, I don't get to practice as much as I would like, but teaching keeps me up to speed, and pays for train fairs :)

cakes

hi
HSC
i've been trying to teach myself for a couple of years, arghhhhh i hate having small hands!!!!11

ND

HSC
Originally posted by adsta

I've been playing guitar for 13 years now, and teaching for 6 years. I play anything from the bands mentioned above (especially dream theater), to classical (absolutly love bach), and jazz etc.
Since starting uni last year, I don't get to practice as much as I would like, but teaching keeps me up to speed, and pays for train fairs :)
Cool. I never really got into classical apart from some Paganini, and obviously the classical-inspired stuff from the likes of Yngwie, Becker, Gilbert, Impellitteri etc. As for jazz, i like jazz fusion (Alan Holdsworth, Frank Gambale etc.), but again i never really focused on it.

Wild Dan Hibiki

teh sex0r
HSC
I got an acoustic, i've been playing seriously for like a year. i had a classical b4 i got my acoustic (like 6 months ago). i can play bits and peices of different songs. I wish my strings weren't so thick :(

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by ND
(after all, it should only take about a month to get my ability to where it was) these holidays, but i never got around to it.
i was playing exact same stuff as you until i threw my right shoulder out, needless to say that kinda ended guitar for hsc pretty quickly...its taken me a good 2 years of recuperation to get the shoulder back in shape but i do agree after 1 month of dedicated practice im back to around 60-70 % of what i was

Originally posted by cakes
i've been trying to teach myself for a couple of years, arghhhhh i hate having small hands!!!!11
dont use that as an excuse!! ive got around the same size hands i reckon and im still playing ^^ just keep at it

Originally posted by adsta

i really should consider this :D how much you charge and stuff ?

Thomas_wow

been playing bass for 5 years now. got ibanez 5string and gallien-kruger 200watt amp (spelling). took me about 4 years to save up for them O_O

first song - smells like teen spirit
hardest - errr... hardest to pick up was probably RHCP - right on time, sounds simple but listen to how fast he plays octaves. aeroplane also took a bit to master.

nicest bass line ive heard is actually rammstein - seemen (german band). if you play bass listen to it and learn it... real nice

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
I've been playing electric for about 6 months and the hardest thing I can play is Nothing Else Matters solo or the tapping part from Eruption

I'm also an adept lyricist

Last edited:

serenesorrow

I've been playing for a little over 2 years now and I'm working on refining all my techniques: sweeping, alternate picking, legato, tapping, and combinations, etc.

I'm getting lessons off a serious shredder from a Sydney band (Dungeon).

Most of the stuff I play and write goes under metal or shred.

At the moment my guitars are:

Wasburn BT2 Maverick - Strings 11's (Standard E)

Epiphone Explorer - Strings 10's (Standard E)
(Black with gold hardware - looks wicked, sounds crap)

BC Rich Beast - Strings 9's (Tuned to Eb)
(Floyd Rose model)

mike524

ND dream theater kick ass Ive been playing fo 8 yrs I have almost perfect pitch I can play just about any song you can throw at me I absolutely love fooling around with steve vai solos I have two guitars a semi accoustic magnum and a Black 24 frett Yamaha RGX112 electric guita,r if there was a fire and there was one thing I could save the yamy would be it.

G

Gavvvvvin

Ive been playing electric for a little over a year. So far Ive mostly played basic punk songs, and Im just starting to learn some harder stuff like some of Metallicas solos.

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Merethrond
I have been wanting to get an electric guitar for quite some time now and I finally got one about a month ago. It is difficult to try and keep motivated to keep learning to play because I am really bad at the moment and my progress is so slow but I am slowly progressing. So, who else here plays the guitar (acoustic, electric or bass), how long have you been playing it for, what was the first song that you learnt to play completely and what is the hardest song you can play now:)?
nope id dont

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
i still play but my strings really (like i mean REALLY) need to be changed..lol

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Sarah168
i still play but my strings really (like i mean REALLY) need to be changed..lol
New strings are the best!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)