Do you play the guitar? (2 Viewers)

G

Gavvvvvin

Nothin like a set of new strings! My strings are all black and crusty at the moment ;) Boomers rule!

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
uhh ok mine ARENT black and crusty ...but i still need new ones!

super katie

BEHOLD!
HSC
i got an electric for christmas, but i find it really hard because my hands are really small and i cant reach everything. I had the same problem with piano dammit.

ND

HSC
I'm planning to re-learn the guitar these mid-semester holidays. Now i just have to see if i can remember how to restring a floyd rose. And it'll take a while to get callouses again...

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by ND
I'm planning to re-learn the guitar these mid-semester holidays. Now i just have to see if i can remember how to restring a floyd rose. And it'll take a while to get callouses again...
not really. I got my callouses within a week of playing. Just do lots of slides

Originally posted by _DeathlessOne_
Nothin like a set of new strings! My strings are all black and crusty at the moment ;) Boomers rule!
mine were like that, but I just restrung it a couple of days ago and my low E keeps going out of tune :|

felafel

i self - learnt the guitar (playing acoustic) during the 03-04 christmas holidays

it's such a maaaaad instrument

ND

HSC
Originally posted by Calculon
not really. I got my callouses within a week of playing. Just do lots of slides
Yep i've now got callouses again (though they're not nearly as tough as they were before). Man the 1st day i started, i couldn't play for more than 2 hours, and i couldn't play at all the day after; my fingers were killing me. Anyway i'm back to about 70% technique wise. Theory wise, i don't know shit anymore, and i can't sightread to save my life.

mine were like that, but I just restrung it a couple of days ago and my low E keeps going out of tune :|
Make sure you stretch out your strings properly before tuning, especially the low ones.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by stareathesun
my top E string is missing, so I have to work around that...
other than that, yeah, guitar is a good hobby.
Why don't you get a new string then:lol:?

Originally posted by _DeathlessOne_
Ive been playing electric for a little over a year. So far Ive mostly played basic punk songs, and Im just starting to learn some harder stuff like some of Metallicas solos.
I have just started playing again, since I had no time once University started. I basically only play punk songs as well, especially Blink-182 songs, they are nice and easy. I still can't play them though:lol:. Take for example "Adam's Song", looking at it, it has to be the easiest song to play, but I still can't play it:(. The first time I started playing again (two days ago), I swear my neck was so sore after only twenty minutes and I had to stop playing:eek:.

Originally posted by super katie
i got an electric for christmas, but i find it really hard because my hands are really small and i cant reach everything. I had the same problem with piano dammit.
I think that is part of my problem too! I can't seem to reach some strings, or when I do, my finger is over more than one string and I get that fret buzzing, or whatever it is. I can't seem to get my finger (especially the bigger ones, like my middle finger) to only land on one string:(.

Originally posted by felafel
i self - learnt the guitar (playing acoustic) during the 03-04 christmas holidays

it's such a maaaaad instrument
That is really good! I can't wait until I can play a song straight through:).

ND

HSC
Originally posted by Merethrond
I think that is part of my problem too! I can't seem to reach some strings, or when I do, my finger is over more than one string and I get that fret buzzing, or whatever it is. I can't seem to get my finger (especially the bigger ones, like my middle finger) to only land on one string:(.
Have you ever heard of Michael Romeo? His fingers are short and fat, but he is an insane guitarist (one of the most technically able shredders in the world). Don't worry, everyone had problems when they first started, i think it's more problems with finger coordination than reach.

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by ND

Make sure you stretch out your strings properly before tuning, especially the low ones.
I did, but the problem involved slippage on the tuning heads, i fixed it now tho.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Originally posted by ND
i think it's more problems with finger coordination than reach.
i've been playing for awhile now and the finger co ordination is ok, its the reach that annoys me...my fingers are not short but for some sings that should technically be so easy, they are difficult for me...this john mayer song requires a reach from the tenth back to the 6th in quick succession and it just kills me :( hehe so pathetic...:p

ND

HSC
Originally posted by Calculon
I did, but the problem involved slippage on the tuning heads, i fixed it now tho.
Ah i see. I've gotta buy some new locking things for the nut, cos i lost mine, now whenever i use the whammy i go out of tune. (i never really used it much anyway, only for the odd vai/satch song)

i've been playing for awhile now and the finger co ordination is ok, its the reach that annoys me...my fingers are not short but for some sings that should technically be so easy, they are difficult for me...this john mayer song requires a reach from the tenth back to the 6th in quick succession and it just kills me hehe so pathetic...
10th to the 6th? That shouldn't even be a reach; it's 4 frets and you've got 4 fingers. :p

G

Gavvvvvin

On the begining of Through the Never by Metallica there is a 7 fret stretch. I dont even bother trying cos I suck :(

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Originally posted by ND
10th to the 6th? That shouldn't even be a reach; it's 4 frets and you've got 4 fingers. :p
it is when my other two fingers are like on the 11th fret or something....its hard to describe but its not like reaching from tenth to sixth with all fingers free :p

golfstick

balbrady's balbarer
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by mike524
ND dream theater kick ass Ive been playing fo 8 yrs I have almost perfect pitch I can play just about any song you can throw at me I absolutely love fooling around with steve vai solos I have two guitars a semi accoustic magnum and a Black 24 frett Yamaha RGX112 electric guita,r if there was a fire and there was one thing I could save the yamy would be it.
either you are fucking good or you are fucking full of shit

if you can play the solo from take the time (at around 4:30) or the intro to some of the liquid tension stuff like paradigm shift you are a fucking gun. if i could play any shredding pieces, it'd be symphony x - smoke and mirrors (most insane sweeping intro ever), or racer x - technical difficulties (sounds soo mad)

i have stuck to acoustic simply because electric would be too expensive for me to have all the shit i want.

some nice picking acoustic pieces include
mason williams - classical gas (eric clapton plays it so you can find a tab under his name as well)
eric clapton - tears in heaven
(the) eagles - hotel california (a capo on 7 cramps things up a bit tho)
the acoustic exerpt from symphony x - the odyssey (I have the tab if anyone wants it)
metallica - nothing else matters (someone tabbed it out for one guitar and it's nice and easy and it flows well)

i highly recommend downloading a program called 'guitar pro'. then you go to sites like mysongbook.com and download tabs in the guitar pro format. the way it works makes it so much easier to learn stuff if you can't be bothered working it out. it plays it back to you like a midi file with the music scrolling, you can turn down or turn up individual instruments, slow the tempo down, etc. very handy.

Last edited:

golfstick

balbrady's balbarer
HSC
N/A
guitar pro isn't actually freeware but it's relatively easy to get a serial for it. i think it is easier to read than powertab and a lot of the tabs are of a higher quality

i've never actually tabbed anything out using them though, i think powertab is meant to be easier for that

Last edited:

ND

HSC
Originally posted by golfstick
either you are fucking good or you are fucking full of shit
if you can play the solo from take the time (at around 4:30) or the intro to some of the liquid tension stuff like paradigm shift you are a fucking gun. if i could play any shredding pieces, it'd be symphony x - smoke and mirrors (most insane sweeping intro ever), or racer x - technical difficulties (sounds soo mad)
Heh i used to be able to do some of paradigm shift (never bothered learning the whole thing though). Technical difficulties is awesome, i used to listen to one of the parts of the solo over and over to get my vibrato right (which of course now sucks).

Btw, how is nothing else matters playable on one guitar? Would you mind passing over the tab?

in my experience they are much of a muchness

i've never actually tabbed anything out using them though, i think powertab is meant to be easier for that
I've got and use both programs. When i was learning songs i used to prefer powertab cos it had standard notation, but now guitar pro 4 has that as well, so either is good. But when transcribing i used guitar pro, it's alot easier (i mean layout wise), and also i could never figure out how to cut and paste in PT. Another thing is that GP is better for multiple instruments.

golfstick

balbrady's balbarer
HSC
N/A
i find that paradigm shift sort of gets boring as the song continues anyway

the guitar pro tab for nothing else matters is here:

http://www.mysongbook.com/tab-tab_download-id_tablature=24548.htm

while on the topic of dream theater, i was watching a mike portnoy video the other day, new millennium has the coolest drum part ever. i copied off a clip of the video (~8mb). it's almost enough to make me switch to drums

Last edited:

ND

HSC
Hmmm that tab is pretty much just jame's part, without kirk's part (there is a minor difference during the bridge, but not much). Also that solo wouldn't sound nearly as good without the otehr guitar backing.

Thanks for the portnoy vid. I'm downloading now... I haven't actually gotten ToT yet, but i'm planning to get it as soon as i get back to syd. To be honest though i don't like post ACOS dream theater nearly as much... they lost something with kevin moore.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)