Doe your background really affect your subject choices? (2 Viewers)

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
It's not really your background that determines your subjects but more of the environmental influences around you such as your family, friends, time constraints (due to work), natural abilities.

zombies

HSC
Well I'm doing 3U maths, physics, chemistry, modern history, adv english and SDD.

I'm half asian (my mum is jap) and half white.

There tends to be a high percentage of asians at selective schools because for asians their culture is really different compared to white people. Like in Japan a lot of the kids attend cram school like every day after school, and their parents push them really hard. There's even cases of students committing suicide because they just can't take the stress sometimes :s while white people, things are a bit more laid back, its not as stressful. Of course this is just a generalisation its not like every single asian oor white family is going to be like this but yeah haha. I mean, my dad is cool with me doing anything, he doesnt mind if I'm playing video games all the time and just doing nothing.. but my mum is all like 'get off the computer' and I used to have to practice piano for 70mins a day even though I hated it, had to have tutoring in year 6 for the selective test etc etc

reality3435

HSC
Well I'm doing 3U maths, physics, chemistry, modern history, adv english and SDD.

I'm half asian (my mum is jap) and half white.

There tends to be a high percentage of asians at selective schools because for asians their culture is really different compared to white people. Like in Japan a lot of the kids attend cram school like every day after school, and their parents push them really hard. There's even cases of students committing suicide because they just can't take the stress sometimes :s while white people, things are a bit more laid back, its not as stressful. Of course this is just a generalisation its not like every single asian oor white family is going to be like this but yeah haha. I mean, my dad is cool with me doing anything, he doesnt mind if I'm playing video games all the time and just doing nothing.. but my mum is all like 'get off the computer' and I used to have to practice piano for 70mins a day even though I hated it, had to have tutoring in year 6 for the selective test etc etc
Bro, 70 minutes a day is nothing. try 3 hours a day :L:L . I still do it , but now 3-4 hours every 2 days because I need time to study and get those good marks. I was making a generalization about how ruse kids/asian ruse kids usually do the asian 5 or the curry 5 for year 11 and drop to the asian 4 for year 12 :L.. So I wasn't saying anything like only asians do that combination of subjects, just that in my school people would often pick those subjects so i dont have anything against people with other backgrounds doing the same subjects.

I mean, I'm asian and I'm doing Ag, SDD and Music 2, so yeahh. Sorry if it sounded like I meant that only asians did those subjects ...

zombies

HSC
Bro, 70 minutes a day is nothing. try 3 hours a day :L:L . I still do it , but now 3-4 hours every 2 days because I need time to study and get those good marks. I was making a generalization about how ruse kids/asian ruse kids usually do the asian 5 or the curry 5 for year 11 and drop to the asian 4 for year 12 :L.. So I wasn't saying anything like only asians do that combination of subjects, just that in my school people would often pick those subjects so i dont have anything against people with other backgrounds doing the same subjects.

I mean, I'm asian and I'm doing Ag, SDD and Music 2, so yeahh. Sorry if it sounded like I meant that only asians did those subjects ...
Haha to me 70 minutes felt like forever~ I hate piano. Are you doing your AMus or something?

enoilgam

HSC
It's not really your background that determines your subjects but more of the environmental influences around you such as your family, friends, time constraints (due to work), natural abilities.
This. Yes, the Asian 10 is called the Asian 10 because quite a few asians do it. But you would be suprised how many non-asians have this subject mix - some of them forced to do so by their parents.

Last edited:

reality3435

HSC
Haha to me 70 minutes felt like forever~ I hate piano. Are you doing your AMus or something?
Totally irrelevant but yeah, I did amus a couple of years ago, doing lmus preferable may hence I'm doing Music 2 for HSC . Man, also did violin amus, that ... was a pain.. but I liked it... (so contradictory)..

yeah, it's only known as the asian 5/4 because heaps of asians do it but it's not restricted to just asians... like plenty of non asians do those subjects as well but generally 90% students (everyone's asian, one white kid LOL) at my school do it so we've managed to build up a reputation for those subjects...

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad
English Ext 1, Maths Ext 1, Legal Studies, Ancient History and Studies of Religion I (completed in 2010, got 49/50).

I'm Indian.

In my opinion, background shouldn't have any affect on your subject choices. at all.

Last edited:

zombies

HSC
Totally irrelevant but yeah, I did amus a couple of years ago, doing lmus preferable may hence I'm doing Music 2 for HSC . Man, also did violin amus, that ... was a pain.. but I liked it... (so contradictory)..

yeah, it's only known as the asian 5/4 because heaps of asians do it but it's not restricted to just asians... like plenty of non asians do those subjects as well but generally 90% students (everyone's asian, one white kid LOL) at my school do it so we've managed to build up a reputation for those subjects...
Damn.. You must be some sort of prodigy lol holy shit already done amus!! And lol at the music 2 comment the kids doing music 2 at my school are like ameb 6th grade level, if that.. And only on like violin/Clari and stuff, not on piano.

hungwell1337

HSC
N/A
Damn.. You must be some sort of prodigy lol holy shit already done amus!! And lol at the music 2 comment the kids doing music 2 at my school are like ameb 6th grade level, if that.. And only on like violin/Clari and stuff, not on piano.
that will change when you attend nsg

reality3435

HSC
that will change when you attend nsg
sorry to disappoint but it's actually ruse. I know this is compeltely irrelevant to the topic of the thread but.... I have friends doing Fmus... in year 8... that's just insane... So my achievements aren't exactly impressive, they're like... normal, like what you should be getting at in my school.

As for subjects, it's important to note that we only do those 'asian subjects' because our school doesn't offer other ones. Well, we offer mod/ancient, drama, accelerated (2years) IPT/SDD, and accelerated (1year) AG as well but that's it....

xAlan

HSC
The reason that physics chem, maths, etc are "asian" subjects because they somewhat involve: maths. From little, we are taught maths not only from school but from our parents as well since it is a universal subject that applies anywhere and it is a more logical calculations rather than explanations like English. Thats why Asian parents push towards the calculating side of subjects.

HSC
Chime into a 4 day not replied thread.

Just felt like saying that my school has a Chem class in every line except the compulsory English and 2u Maths. I believe we also have an Economics and Physics line in every line but one.

Having said that, the large majority of my school is Asian/ Curry. You can also play spot the white kid at my school. But having said that, we have 2 PDHPE classes, a VA class, and a Music class. I've misplaced my subject selection sheet amongst all my books atm so I can't check what else there is ...

ALSO. There's this genius white kid in my grade that's like a genius.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
Chime into a 4 day not replied thread.

Just felt like saying that my school has a Chem class in every line except the compulsory English and 2u Maths. I believe we also have an Economics and Physics line in every line but one.

Having said that, the large majority of my school is Asian/ Curry. You can also play spot the white kid at my school. But having said that, we have 2 PDHPE classes, a VA class, and a Music class. I've misplaced my subject selection sheet amongst all my books atm so I can't check what else there is ...

ALSO. There's this genius white kid in my grade that's like a genius.
Ruse?

avro

HSC
I'm of a serbian/estonian/irish heritage and I chose all arts/humanities subjects. Sometimes its assumed that Europeans place a lot of emphasis on science/maths. For my parents and uncles/aunties, this is true as they're all in the medical field. That's not where my passions were, they encouraged me to do my best and succeed no matter what subject areas I chose.

Examine

same
HSC
I'm of a serbian/estonian/irish heritage and I chose all arts/humanities subjects. Sometimes its assumed that Europeans place a lot of emphasis on science/maths. For my parents and uncles/aunties, this is true as they're all in the medical field. That's not where my passions were, they encouraged me to do my best and succeed no matter what subject areas I chose.
lolwut.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)