Doe your background really affect your subject choices? (1 Viewer)

avro

HSC
I know quite a few serbia and irish heritage people though their parents don't put too much emphasis on their studies.
Guess it depends on the family and their expectations, not everyone is the same :)

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
I'm Aussie (many generations back as well, my ancestors were here when Ned Kelly was alive over a hundred years ago) and do 2 sciences and both math/english extension + economics.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm Aussie (many generations back as well, my ancestors were here when Ned Kelly was alive over a hundred years ago) and do 2 sciences and both math/english extension + economics.
The Standard Asian Combo Package Deal (Although 3U English is usually 2U English)

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
I told my parents i didn't wanna do 4 unit maffs

dey beat me so hardd :(

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I'm Asian, I did Ext. 2 English.

Background doesn't affect subject choices at all. It's just that certain subject combinations have become linked with certain backgrounds.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm an uneducated bogan. So, I did English Standard.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
ALOT of Asians who end up doing Chemistry and Physics in Senior Years have most likely been influenced by the high scaling around the subs, the 'delusional' need to do them, fitting in with other Asians, think that they actually 'like' the chem and phys (I think if you genuinely like those subs then you don't even need to go tutor unless you're lazy [okay, I'm hypocritical about this but my point still stands]), they know it's the standard subjects for Asians and Asian parents tend to loves the sciences and maths as opposed to the humanities (Economics is really the only exception to this).
Another big reason are siblings and relatives, Asian parents love to compare to relatives and others so they'll say something like 'Yeah, your cousin/brother/sister got 99 ATAR and she/he did 4 Unit Maths, Economics, Chemistry, Physics and Advanced English so you must do these subs as well'.
Also, heaps of Asians go tutoring and tuition centres emphasis the need of high scaling subjects such as 4U Maths, Chemistry and Physics.
This could be generalisation but I think some of what I said are true to an extent... I'd know of course cause' I'm Asian too ><

HSC
only 2 Asian 5's.
I'm doing advanced mathematics, standard English and cafs (3 non Asians).

theind1996

HSC
N/A
I'm Asian, I did Ext. 2 English.

Background doesn't affect subject choices at all. It's just that certain subject combinations have become linked with certain backgrounds.
You did Ext. 2 English because you were capable of it, however you also did MX2, Phys and Chem... :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)