• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Doe your background really affect your subject choices? (1 Viewer)

theind1996

HSC
N/A
But I did better in English than all of them.
However, this thread is about what you CHOSE, not what you succeeded in the most, and you chose MX2, Phys and Chem. And seeing that you said that English was your best subject and the fact that you're Asian, it makes me wonder. Did you get pressured into choosing MX2 and/or Phys and/or Chem.. by your parents, or by the promised fruits of doing well in high-scaling subjects or your background or seeing family friends/cousins/siblings achieving a high ATAR with high-scaling subjects?? or all of them LOL??

theind1996

HSC
N/A
Baulkham Hills' curry combo.
Na mate, the Baulko curry combo is 3u maths, 3u english, phys, chem and eco (accelerated if you're an ABSOLUTE BEAST!!) - they have like 140-ish/200 people at the start of yr 11 doing 3u english so doing only 2u english is not really the "classic combo"...

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
However, this thread is about what you CHOSE, not what you succeeded in the most, and you chose MX2, Phys and Chem. And seeing that you said that English was your best subject and the fact that you're Asian, it makes me wonder. Did you get pressured into choosing MX2 and/or Phys and/or Chem.. by your parents, or by the promised fruits of doing well in high-scaling subjects or your background or seeing family friends/cousins/siblings achieving a high ATAR with high-scaling subjects?? or all of them LOL??
I chose English because I knew I'd do well in it, and I chose the other stuff because I liked the subject matters and the classmates and the class atmosphere.

sweetkiki

Unconscious Member
HSC
N/A
Perhaps in language choice i.e. if I were a native japanese speaker i'd certainly take it :p

but otherwise not really
although there appear to be trends, it's silly to say ethnicity determinds subjects

subject choice has more to do with academic interests/capabilities

theind1996

HSC
N/A
I chose English because I knew I'd do well in it, and I chose the other stuff because I liked the subject matters and the classmates and the class atmosphere.
So you had ZERO influence from "external" factors?

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
My parents let me do whatever subjects I wanted to and I still chose physics, chem, bio, advanced english, and 3U maths - not because anyone pressured me or because i wanted to choose 'high scaling' subjects...the scaling had nothing to do with my choosing. People do best in the subjects they like the best so that's the ones they choose, or at least, should choose. High school is meant to be fun :) Enjoy it!

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Also when I picked my subjects, I didn't know scaling existed.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Oh the powers-that-be broke the mould when they made me. I'm not surprised.

acemusic415

HSC
Most asians (that does not include me) tend to do the infamous asian subjects such as Mathematics and Science subjects because they are raised in the junior years through tutoring. This often influences their future decisions, particularly in Year 11 when choosing subjects. Hence, doing Maths and Sciences because English is not a priority when it comes to tutoring during the early years of school.

Pfortune35

HSC
white and will probably do asian 5 (so)

of the 6 or 7 asian kids in my grade only 1 will do 4 unit and a few are doing general maths (omg)

i say fuck what colour you are just do what you want and most people agree

but if you were asian and went to ruse or grammer it probs wouldnt be too hard for me to guess you subs

Eg155

HSC
I'm European (Irish) and doing most of the 'Asian mix', except sub eco for modern :) MX1 was/is not by choice... for future career path.

Last edited:

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Half Korean / Half Aussie.

Make of that what you will:

English Adv
Ext 1 Maths
Geography
Business Studies
Economics

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I'm European (Irish) and doing most of the 'Asian mix', accept sub eco for modern :) MX1 was/is not by choice... for future career path.
You're doing MX1 because you don't like it, but you're planning to use it for a job.

That's not going to end well, I'd think. Do what you like, not "oh i'm doing this for a job". I did that with Commerce and I'm dropping it now.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
You're doing MX1 because you don't like it, but you're planning to use it for a job.

That's not going to end well, I'd think. Do what you like, not "oh i'm doing this for a job". I did that with Commerce and I'm dropping it now.
I did Ext 1 Maths along the same lines as Eg155 and I didn't do too well but the content I learned during the HSC was invaluable when I had to do first year Mathematics units at university.

I would say that if you are doing it for your career, then just make sure you are extremely confident with your projected performance for your other subjects.

Eg155

HSC

I know it sounds absurd... I want to do medicine so badly, can't really see myself doing anything else. That involves mainly science and i love science :) it's just the ATAR is so high, I want to make sure that i have the best opportunities to achieve it :) I'm thinking it's going to be way too big a workload now... :L drop?

Last edited:

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
I've heard of a guy (Bangladesh) who is doing Japanese Continuers for Year 11 and is planning to do Japanese Extension in Year 12 (along with MX1 and EE1).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)