Doe your background really affect your subject choices? (1 Viewer)

gleeek

HSC
People have been stereotyping subjects as 4 unit maths, chem, physics, eco as 'Asian subjects'.

Does it really matter? I want to see if the majority of people from an Asian back ground do these subjects.

What are your subjects and from what is your background?

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm Caucasian, my ancestors came to Australia ages ago, so not sure what generation that makes me really.

I don't think you can stereotype subjects like that, but feel free to look at my sigs (prelim and hsc)

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm chinese, but I don't do the asian 4. Even though I do 4U maths, I do music II, music extension and legal studies. I did modern history and physics before. I regret dropping modern history but I have no regrets in dropping physics. :p

Also it doesn't really matter, as long as you do well in those subjects, you should be fine, imo.

goobi

HSC
Yes and no. I'm fob yet my HSC subjects are both yerrow and white.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
You can't really generalise subjects like that lol

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
It's meant to be personal choice, but for many "Asian" students their parents choose for them, thus creating this Asian trend of subject selections.

1981Grant

HSC
Erm I'm pretty sure you stereotyped every Asian. Asians get whipped by there parents to do well, the best scaling subject is 4 unit maths, that's why heaps of Asians do it. It's a question of intelligence, Asians want to be intelligent so they pick good subjects.

Lina3

HSC
I was born in Russia...my subject choices are in the signature below. One thing I never understood is how immigrants like me do better in English than most Aussies. One year this other Russian girl came 1st in English and I came 2nd...but yeh to get onto the topic: I don't know whether to agree with this stereotype or argue against it. I don't go to a high ranking school (it's like in the 200's) and about 85% of the student population are white Australians from an Anglo-Saxon background. There are no more than about 20 Asians in my year, yet 12 of them are in the top maths class with me and there are 4 more in the 2nd top class. So in a way...maths could be described as rather 'Asian', just based off personal experience.

hungwell1337

HSC
N/A
It's meant to be personal choice, but for many "Asian" students their parents choose for them, thus creating this Asian trend of subject selections.
Erm I'm pretty sure you stereotyped every Asian. Asians get whipped by there parents to do well, the best scaling subject is 4 unit maths, that's why heaps of Asians do it. It's a question of intelligence, Asians want to be intelligent so they pick good subjects.
its because science, economics and maths are more logical thinking subjects without subjective bias

reality3435

HSC
the stereotype is: The asian five - MX2, 2u adv english, Physics, Chemistry and Biology
The curry five - MX2, 2u ADV english, Physics Chemistry and Economics

At my school (you can play spot the white guy there), a lot of the students take either of hte above combination of subjects so I guess hte stereotype does sort of apply at my school.

HSC
I'm Australian/British and I'm doing Advanced English, English Extension, 2 Unit Maths, Modern, PE, Drama, SLR and SOR 1. But I don't really think background has that much to do with it. I know plenty of ppl who are doing 3 unit maths, physics and chem next year, and a lot of them are from non-asian backgrounds. One of my best friends who is asian is doing music 1, food tech, general maths and biology so that's deffs not the asian 4. Another one is doing 2 unit maths, pe, chemistry and I forget the other one but it's not asian 4 and they're doing pe cause they like the sports side of it not the health and medicine side, and another of my asian friends is doing general maths, business studies, and modern and ancient history, again not the asian 4. So really, in some examples it does seem to affect it but most of the time, not really.

nazfiz

HSC
the stereotype is: The asian five - MX2, 2u adv english, Physics, Chemistry and Biology

Your can sub economics with engineering studies to make another possible curry combination.

reality3435

HSC
Your can sub economics with engineering studies to make another possible curry combination.
LOL, my school doesn't even offer that.

In year 12, most people would drop bio/eco and just stick with the asian 4

hayabusaboston

HSC

At my school (you can play spot the white guy there), a lot of the students take either of hte above combination of subjects so I guess hte stereotype does sort of apply at my school.

AHHH I wish I could be the white guy at your school....

Siddy123

HSC
I'm of Mediterranean background, and for next year (yr 11) im doing
-4U MATHS ( Accelerated)
-Extension English
-Physics
-Chemistry
-Studies of Religion 1

so i guess its just not asians:p :p

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
People have been stereotyping subjects as 4 unit maths, chem, physics, eco as 'Asian subjects'.

Does it really matter? I want to see if the majority of people from an Asian back ground do these subjects.

What are your subjects and from what is your background?
I'm African American and I did those subjects.

HSC
N/A
I don't think it's what race you are, I think it's more how you are brought up.
There's this one white girl in my grade who has like crazy parents, really strict and want her to get over 99... and I know this Asian girl whose parents really don't give a fuck.
So I think it's more about your upbringing + parental expectations + your own motivation... rather than your race.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)