does ANYBODY enjoy their text for english? (1 Viewer)

smackattack

Banned
HSC
I don't know how you guys enjoy shakespeare? I understand it perfectly fine, do well in all the questions we get on it etc. but it's just so shit. How can you enjoy reading something like that?

jachie: download 'Nightmare (Sinister Strings Mix)' by Brainbug, mad song.

Last edited:

jackattack

HSC
N/A
Kujah said:
I found the stories of Gladys, Arthur and Daisy to be incredibly dull and dry.
The whole thing was. Sally's waffling that just repeated the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over again simply was not a clear or powerful narrative. And trying to bullshit your way through an essay about how it IS powerful is just so lame. :/ (though I managed to do it somehow, win!)

And yeah I fucking love most Shakespeare. I just love his grasp on language conventions, the way he structures his plots, everything. I'm a shakespeare fangirl :eek: having said that, I'm not frothing over King Lear like I frothed over Macbeth, Othello etc. Which is kind of disappointing.

EDIT: whoo found it cal, I'll download it in a bit k

Last edited:

cs01001

HSC
smackattack said:
I don't know how you guys enjoy shakespeare? I understand it perfectly fine, do well in all the questions we get on it etc. but it's just so shit. How can you enjoy reading something like that?
I just read through the modern translation of The Tempest, the story itself seems quite interesting compared to lets say Othello or something like Macbeth. But to be honest, I don't really enjoy Shakesperean language, so I guess I will study the actual Shakesperean text later. :( lol

Kujah

HSC
N/A
I found Julius Caesar to be quite interesting.

HSC
I don't enjoy documentaries etc but the books in year 12 are good. For advanced I read An Imaginary Life, interesting if short. Just finished reading Dune for extension 1, that's one of the best sci-fi books I've ever read, and I think I have to read The Handmaid's Tale which sounds alright.

Helenoftroy

HSC
I'm enjoying most of my stuff, didn't like the 50th gate, and I utterly love King Lear, especially all the insults that feature in it.

ibewatto

HSC
i am doin Emma for advanced, and i cant stand jane austin. i think she is so so so boring. but for extension 1 we are doin/have done handmaids tale which was really good. dune which is pretty good and LOTR which is unquestionably good...but seriously. jane austen, come on if they want us to read it pick somethin we like

Annalisee

HSC
I quite enjoyed some of the ones that I picked for Imaginative Journeys, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mine and Life is Beautiful. I found the Tempest interesting and relatively easy for IJs
But....bloody Emma, goddamn I hate that book so much I want to burn it.
I keep thinking, it'll get better, it'll get better but it doesn't!!

louistheroux

HSC
j3nay08 said:
So Brave New World does get better? =) I'm reading it for adv English too. I'm not very far through it, but i'm not really enjoying it.
I'm re-doing the HSC this year and our class is doing Brave New World again. I couldn't even get through it the first time, It was that dull. I just read a summary and made it up as I went along. I'm trying to read it again now, without much success. It's just so bad ;_;

Then again, everyone loved 1984 and I thought that was rubbish. Maybe I have no taste, lol.

Zephyrio

HSC
For Advanced, I love all my texts (Skrzynecki, Clueless, Emma, Antony and Cleopatra) except Wild Swans. But that might change.

And I love all my extension texts: The Castle, Seamus Heaney, Shipping News.

Heaney is my FAVOURITE poet of all time. Sigh, before I go on and wax lyrical, I'll stop here. People would be freaked out.

In short, I love English.

Last edited:

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
lol I have no idea why, but all the texts that people mention, I have never seen or done in class. Well besides R&G. I've heard so many people mention the texts but why don't I do them ? lol

Anyways I guess I enjoy the texts I do at times. Well before analysis and the such have to occur. I enjoyed Star Wars :A new hope, 10 things I hate about you, R&G & Hamlet's okay.

But when I choose my related texts, I choose ones that I REALLY LOVE. eg. Nickelback's "Photograph". :)

Harkaraj

HSC
Uni Grad
Some of the texts I did in year 11 were alright, e.g. othello, midnight express, one flew over the cuckoos nest and much ado about nothing but so far in year 12 Coleridge's poems for Imaginative journeys I've found really boring.

ccc123

HSC
jackattack said:
I've liked most of the texts we've done in english over the years: What's Eating Gilbert Grape, American Beauty, Great Gatsby, Lord Of The Flies, Life Of Pi, The Princess Bride, most shakespeare (except a mid fucking summer's night's fucking dream, I maintai that he was on acid when he wrote that shit) I think the only books I really disliked in years 7-10 were "Enders Game" and "Wuthering Heights".

But I haaaaaate "My Place" and I haaaaaate "A History Of Reading" and they're really the only texts that matter hey :(
Yeah I did American Beauty/ Great Gatsby in yr 11. Awesome module. My Place sounds a bit bland, but fortunately In not doing it.

Zephyrio said:
For Advanced, I love all my texts (Skrzynecki, Clueless, Emma, Antony and Cleopatra) except Wild Swans. But that might change.

And I love all my extension texts: The Castle, Seamus Heaney, Shipping News.

Heaney is my FAVOURITE poet of all time. Sigh, before I go on and wax lyrical, I'll stop here. People would be freaked out.

In short, I love English.
Heaney and English are awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:

sleepplease

HSC
smackattack what a stupid thing to say.

Coleridge managed to express beautifully some of the most natural human desires and fears. His poetry evokes an instinctive emotional reaction before you even BEGIN to consider it intellectually - an exceptional few manage that (T.S.Elliot, Hughes, Plath, Hopkins to name a few are most definitely up there).

I love english, I love Coleridge, I love BNW, I love Blade Runner and I love King Lear.

jackattack

HSC
N/A
Er, it's not a stupid thing to say at all. God forbid people don't appreciate literature like you do!

EDIT: Plath is the most overrated nonsense I've ever read. DADDY DADDY I LOVE YOU DADDY WHY DID YOU LEAVE ME DADDY I HATE YOU DADDY TODAY I TRIED TO REUNITE WITH YOU DADDY BUT THE BLADE WAS NOT SHARP ENOUGH OH CURSE YOU DADDY I HATE YOU I NEED YOU

Last edited:

smackattack

Banned
HSC
it's a stupid thing to say because i absolutely detest reading anything he wrote and would rather hang myself from my classrooms ceiling fan than analyse one of his poems? Get over yourself idiot.

He likes nature, woopie. I could not care any less about him nor his poems and i will have to bullshit extremely hard during all my exams

sleepplease

HSC
smackattack said:
it's a stupid thing to say because i absolutely detest reading anything he wrote and would rather hang myself from my classrooms ceiling fan than analyse one of his poems? Get over yourself idiot.

He likes nature, woopie. I could not care any less about him nor his poems and i will have to bullshit extremely hard during all my exams
I loled. :eek:

champ_sammy_19

~~~* Munchkin*~~~
HSC
soylicious said:
everybody seems to be whingeing about their texts and how boring it is...

im reading 'only the heart' for physical journeys and im absoultely loving it

am i odd?
I dont think your odd I did standard english in 2003 (did pathways for yr 12) and my text was looking for alibrandi read it over and over and love it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)