Does Gen Maths Scale U Down (1 Viewer)

mojako

HSC
dark`secrets said:
i guess everyone made it clear at that "if you do well then it doesnt scale you down"
not necessarily true ;)

a_person86

HSC
General Vs Advanced

I prefer General Mathematics, not like that Advanced shit i did in year 10 which i would never use again in my life!

Think bout it, if you get a band 6 in general it will be scaled to a band 5. If you could do better than a band 5 in Advanced than it wouldve been smarter to chose Advanced. However, Advanced Mathematics requires alot more studying and fucking around.

Personally, I came first and aiming for a band 6 in my HSC exam. If i did Advanced I wouldve just passed. And like mentioned previously, if you do below average you get screwed. Which would you prefer!?!

Just make sure you do well above average and your laughing!

Scanorama

HSC
I did 2 units Maths in Year 11 and I have no idea what the teacher was talking about in class. I dropped down to General Maths at the beginning of Year 12. My Year 11 2U maths yearly was 35%, probably right or slightly below the average. This year, my General Maths trial mark was 82% and I came first of the year. My cumulative rank is also 1/51. Does it effect my scalling? I heard that if I came first of the year, the scalling wouldnt effect much at all? Is that true??

Anyway Im so glad i dropped down to general. As a_person86 said before, 2 units maths requires lots of studying and is just fucking arounf with numbers and shit, Im suck at it. If you think you can do very good at General, that it probably worths to do general.

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
I did General Maths for my HSC back in 01 and still managed to get a reasonable UAI and a university offer. True, you might actually have to do a bridging course depending on what degree you want to do, but it all comes with the territory.

Kimmi_R

2 unit and general are completely different course and require different type of work eg 2 unit more about formulas in practice wereas genral is more practical working, if you do well in general you are just as likely to a get a good mark as if someone in 2 unit did badly.
a girl at my school last yr did general and got in the 90s for her hsc mark and got a uai of over 95 so its not like you are automatically going to get a low uai it just depends how hard you work and how good your other subject marks are aswell. :)

A_J_Gray

Correct.
My best advice is

to believe in yourself and you will go to the top

bowman

Bowmanation
HSC
yes, even if u try to attemp a question our teacher said u will still get at least 1 mark. so i think i will b trying to do that an i will acheive well

Kimmi_R

i think the mark is only awarded if you attemp to show working out of the question and if the working out is correct or close to you can get half marks for working out. or at least thats what my tutor told me:)

goonbag

go to the SAM program and type 100 for a result for gen maths, it gets scaled to 88!

mojako

HSC
looking at table A1 from UAC reports, the max UAI might be 99.45.
It seems to me that 88.8 is the UAI contribution which the best candidate in that year (2003 if you select it) got, based on his/her HSC mark which was not 100.
need to ask Lazarus though

oh, I'm doing 4U and my target UAI is more than 84
but I still dont call goonbag stupid.
different ppl ahve different talents.

Last edited:

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
They wouldn't offer it.

General maths is capped due to various reasons the main one is to stop a higher quality candidate from going down and just using it achieve a really high scaled mark.

It generally has little affect on a UAI or a person's performance if they had done another maths course.

lil_lainy

HSC
yeh i was doing 2 unit mathematics last yr an i dropped down to general in term 1 of this yr cause i had started to like fail all my exams badly an do really shit.

and it was like the best thing i eva did!..so dont pay out on sumone if they're doing general maths...i put in a lot less effort, time an stress than i did for 2 unit and im getting marks of like 85/90

and it dusnt really affect ur uai cause if u did shit in 2 unit ur uai would be worse off than doing really well in general

so dont sweat it pppls...by happy!

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Xayma: No, Ruse does offer general maths.

ngai

HSC
Slide Rule: No, Ruse does not offer general maths.

Scanorama

HSC
lil_lainy said:
yeh i was doing 2 unit mathematics last yr an i dropped down to general in term 1 of this yr cause i had started to like fail all my exams badly an do really shit.

and it was like the best thing i eva did!..so dont pay out on sumone if they're doing general maths...i put in a lot less effort, time an stress than i did for 2 unit and im getting marks of like 85/90

and it dusnt really affect ur uai cause if u did shit in 2 unit ur uai would be worse off than doing really well in general

so dont sweat it pppls...by happy!
Same here mate, I dropped to general in week 4, term4 last year and it is one of the BEST decision I've made in my high school life. I kept failing 2 units maths and it was hopeless to pass in any tests in HSC. So I decided to drop to general. Most people don't seem to understand the scaling doesn't really matter. If you are bad in one subject, you will get a bad mark regardless of the scaling. However if you are good in one subject, you will get a good mark regardless of the scaling. I scored first in my trial and the final rank is now 1/51.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Hmmm. I seem to remember reading somewhere that Ruse actually did have general maths. But I guess I should trust a guy who goes there, eh?

Apologies.

Oh, and I don't do 2 unit, actually, lil_lainy. I do 4 unit, so 2 unit isn't counted.

lil_lainy

HSC
well u no wat i meant, anything above general...cause technically y isnt general 2 unit as well...the only dis in wording is general mathmatics and mathmatics

so blah!

ahh its tooo hot

mojako

HSC
Slide Rule said:
Hmmm. I seem to remember reading somewhere that Ruse actually did have general maths. But I guess I should trust a guy who goes there, eh?

Apologies.

Oh, and I don't do 2 unit, actually, lil_lainy. I do 4 unit, so 2 unit isn't counted.
u've begun the 4U now?
my school starts it about 1 week after term 4 starts.

4U students essentially study the 2U course though
only they dont do the assessments and exams
(assuming they didnt accelerate 2U in yr11)

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
mojako said:
u've begun the 4U now?
my school starts it about 1 week after term 4 starts.

4U students essentially study the 2U course though
only they dont do the assessments and exams
(assuming they didnt accelerate 2U in yr11)
Yep. We're doing de Moivre's currently. I'm being slammed for every subject.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)