Does Gen Maths Scale U Down (1 Viewer)

Numero Uno

HSC
notnownotever said:
hahahaha hell no....bro i was told by my teacher the old head marker for gen. maths is that scailing is an urban myth... if u do well in a subject u get scaled up, if u do shit u get scaled down....
:mad:
well sadly that seems like a myth as well

Crowie

HSC
N/A
who cares about the scaling if your in yr 12 now anyway you cant change courses just get the best mark that you can if you get a top mark and are ranked near the top in the state you wont get scaled down if u get a shitty mark like in the 60's for example then you r fcuked so just get a good mark and all your scaling problems are solved

Cab31

HSC
i did general maths and got a uai of 98.10 . i dont think it adversely affected my uai at all

Danoz The Great

HSC
sNiPeR_24 said:
My General Maths teacher (who also teaches Maths Extension 1 and Extension 2) says that Mathematics students are at more of a disadvantage than General students if they perform badly, because they get compared to the extension students, whereas the General course is standalone and doesn't get compared to any other.
Good old Mr D!! He's a champ. I'm going to miss him. General maths just won't be the same ... especially if we DO end up getting rosie.
Blecc.

Last edited:

Trev

stix
HSC
haha hey danoz. rosie makes hard exams, but shes a good teacher (u kno how she taught 3/4 unit this yr, 3 outa the 4 in ext2 got e4/band6, and 6 outa the 13 or sumthin in ext1 got e4/band6)..............

DEZ1R3

HSC
as long as u can get over 80-85 in general.. it will barely scale u down..

Danoz The Great

HSC
If you get about the course average/below it, it'll scale you down then I think...
other than that I don't think It'd vary your UAI much.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
It doesnt scale down as much as I though it would. I got my highest score in gen mat (92)and ended up with uai >95. I think that subjects like art and music scale worse. I know friends who got eighties in their subjects and like a 96 in art who only ended up with uai mid-eighties.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Trev said:
i wouldnt mind 10 units of maths, tho seeing the 10th unit as being extension 8 and imaginin the difficulty makes u wana puke :)
OMG! That'd be awesome!

K

katie_tully

General maths makes me want to cut my wrists.
I did advanced in year 10 but decided i'd do general in year 11/12. Big mistake man. It's so simple that I think it's sinister, and that there is more to the question when there really isnt.

craz

HSC
For some that may be but then there are always some not so bright at maths as that is not their forte...or their strength. I think the need for both courses is good. People not so good at maths can still do well. Gen maths scales you down, but then....it is an advantage overall.

Kulazzi

HSC
so would you guys say to stick to mathematics (as I constantly get 60%) or drop down to general?

Kulazzi

HSC
but it also depends on the rest of your grade doesn't it? Most of the girls in the mathematics couse failed (very badly) in our first assessment task.

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
ah i wish i dropped 2 general maths...
im doin 2 unit
goin so shit at it...
i think its a bit late 2 drop now but

PC

HSC
N/A
It's never too late to change! Perhaps the BOS has a cut-off date – just so they can get all the paperwork in on time. But I don't think that is at the end of Year 11. Ask your teachers (and career advisor, if you have one) to see what they say. Weigh up your options. It will depend a lot on what you have planned after school. General maths is pretty useful in most uni courses, especially stuff like Statistics and Psychology. If your going on to Science or Engineering then 2 unit might be a bit better.

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
PC said:
It's never too late to change! Perhaps the BOS has a cut-off date – just so they can get all the paperwork in on time. But I don't think that is at the end of Year 11. Ask your teachers (and career advisor, if you have one) to see what they say. Weigh up your options. It will depend a lot on what you have planned after school. General maths is pretty useful in most uni courses, especially stuff like Statistics and Psychology. If your going on to Science or Engineering then 2 unit might be a bit better.
nah i did bio and was crap as at that and dropped it
so yeah i know im not science based so no engineering or science med or wateva 4 me...
umm yeah there r 3 more terms of yr 12 once i get back
what do u advise...stick with 2 unit or drop 2 general...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)