Does Gen Maths Scale U Down (2 Viewers)

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
there isn't a mod for general maths....but ignorant people like vegetable-mania should piss off. Sure, for you perhaps general maths may be "shit easy", but there are people who don't find it easy. So get off your fucken high horse and be a useful person instead of a random, ignorant speck of dust.

If 2/3/4 unit students wanna come into this forum to HELP out the general students, then I think that's a great idea! But I really believe wankers who are just going to bag out general students should go back to their own forum and make use of themselves there. You're not wanted here. General maths is a great course.

Back to the topic...general maths, like all subjects (i presume) scale people down and up according to the marks they achieve. If you score bad in general, you clearly wont get any scaling. But if u score bad in say, ancient history, u also wont get any scaling. I think, basically, people should not worry about the scaling business. Just try your hardest to achieve a high band 5/band 6, and you're set.

:)

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
^ I agree. Obviously even if general DID scale down, or up, that doesn't matter. You are DOING the subject, you you should be trying as hard as you can. Only that will get you good marks.

J-10

smallcattle said:
they did offer general maths, but since noone did it, they cancelled it

I notice that you can't say the same for standard english, seeing as 4/5 of the population of that school are.......

JoyDivision

Is Big In Japan
HSC
A friend of mine did subjects that traditionally scaled 'down' or 'badly' like Gen Maths and Society and Culture but ended up getting a UAI of 97.35 in 2002. If you work hard at it, there is no reason why you have to be scaled down. Of course, he did recieve 95 on the HSC exam, but if thats not an option for you you could always choose it as your 12unit like I did.

Danoz The Great

HSC
This has already probably been said, btu I couldn't be bothered to check :p

In 2003, Gen Maths scaled down -4.8 :eek: I can't believe it, I thought subjects like DT would scale down more then Gen Maths.

HSC
my average for general maths is 80%, in year 11 anyway, some tests i go up to 90%, i doubt it will scale me down

dont you get scaled down if you fall below average, and scaled up if you are above average?

for chemistry i beat the average by 20%, i got scaled from 60% too 74% in my yearly exam

so yeh just kill the average, everyone says oh yeh everyone gets band 6 in maths, not true, the most average is band 3 a bit, mainly 4 and a bit 5, if you hit high 5s, or 6 you will demolish it, dw

Last edited:

meLoncoLLie

adores corgis
HSC
Casmira said:
my average for advanced maths is 80%, in year 11 anyway, some tests i go up to 90%, i doubt it will scale me down

so yeh just kill the average, everyone says oh yeh everyone gets band 6 in maths, not true, the most average is band 3 a bit, mainly 4 and a bit 5, if you hit high 5s, or 6 you will demolish it, dw
i thought you did general maths?

being above average at our school is actually only average in the whole state.

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
woah talk about resurrecting threads lol
point being.. dont aim to play the scaling game
do subjects you like/are interested in because you will do better in them.. rather than failing miserably and being scaled down in subjects you hate

Last edited:

69^boi

HSC
N/A
yea agree with angel . you will also that mostly general maths is like a continuation of yr 10 maths.

HSC
alot of people choose these hard subjects because they find it easier too hit band 4 in 4 unit rather than band 6 in general maths
and i guarantee you more band 4 in ext 2 will launch your UAI much higher, even if you hit 100% with general maths

69^boi

HSC
N/A
So is it like getting 60% in adv maths is like geting 100% in gen maths?

notnownotever

PRINCE
HSC
69^boi said:
So is it like getting 60% in adv maths is like geting 100% in gen maths?
hahahaha hell no....bro i was told by my teacher the old head marker for gen. maths is that scailing is an urban myth... if u do well in a subject u get scaled up, if u do shit u get scaled down....
:mad:

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
No. If you had 10 units of general maths then yes.

As 2 units only no.

craz

HSC
That's what i hated about general maths. It does scale down horribly. Now...I have nothing against those budding people who are really bright and need to be challenged further, but for those of us not so bright a lot of the easier units help us to learn about life. The stuff in general really helped me out in my first year at uni.

sNiPeR_24

Fo' shizzle
HSC
My General Maths teacher (who also teaches Maths Extension 1 and Extension 2) says that Mathematics students are at more of a disadvantage than General students if they perform badly, because they get compared to the extension students, whereas the General course is standalone and doesn't get compared to any other.

Trev

stix
HSC
sNiPeR_24 said:
My General Maths teacher (who also teaches Maths Extension 1 and Extension 2) says that Mathematics students are at more of a disadvantage than General students if they perform badly, because they get compared to the extension students, whereas the General course is standalone and doesn't get compared to any other.
good ol mr de bona :uhhuh: :uhhuh: :uhhuh:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)